Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Line counters, like at the DMV

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:37 pm

I am sitting in the DMV waiting to be called. The DMV has one of those systems in which you are assigned a coordinate that, when announced, calls you to a service rep.

What is the purpose of this kind of queue system? What are the advantages to simply assigning customers a number? The only reason I can think of is that, once the letters are assigned out of order it becomes hard to Hague how long a customer will wait, so it makes it easier to make people wait a long time.

Why are these systems used, how do they work, and how do they assign numbers?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Re: Line counters, like at the DMV

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:42 pm

The last time I was at the DMV, they had numbers...

Sounds like someone thought coming up with new ideas is necessary to justify their job, regardless of how pointless the ideas are

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:57 pm

VT DMV has 5 classes of numbers and each moves at its own speed. Given the low numbers I see in classes D & E, my guess is that those are for really sticky things like license reinstatement or DWI issues. The A queue is for renewing licenses/getting pictures taken and moves pretty quickly.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:03 pm

The local BMV office has the main counter where you take numbers, and an express line with one person.

The express line is for registration renewals and dealers to drop off bulk registration documents.

And, if the express line is empty, the person working the express counter will take main counter numbers, too.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:03 pm

The DMV's objective is to make you feel as uncomfortable and generic as possible. Often times, they will refer to me as my number instead of my name. They even tattooed a barcode on my wrist. I'm pretty sure the DMV is actually kept around to remind us of why we fought WW2.

Godwin... you genius.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:08 pm

PA DMV allows for online reservations. I go online and take a number. I drive to the DMV. I take a special number that was waiting for me, and watch an entire room full of jelly mad bros watch as I get my license renewed and walk out in under 5 minutes.

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:09 pm

shaq_mobile wrote:
The DMV's objective is to make you feel as uncomfortable and generic as possible. Often times, they will refer to me as my number instead of my name. They even tattooed a barcode on my wrist. I'm pretty sure the DMV is actually kept around to remind us of why we fought WW2.

Godwin... you genius.

"I am number 2"
"Who is number 1?!"
"You are number 6"
"I'M NOT A NUMBER! I'M A FREE MAN!!"
"BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!"
I'm left alone.. my mind is blank..

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:31 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
PA DMV allows for online reservations. I go online and take a number. I drive to the DMV. I take a special number that was waiting for me, and watch an entire room full of jelly mad bros watch as I get my license renewed and walk out in under 5 minutes.

Nice but I don't even go into the general service DMV area when I renew my license. I renew online and get a 'photo card' in the mail shortly thereafter. I bring that to the DMV and just go straight to the photo area, get my new photo taken. I'm not sure if there is a way to reserve a spot for the photo 'lines' - and I say it that way because I've never had more than one person in front of me waiting for a photo. I'll keep the online reservation in mind for the future though.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:35 pm

Huh...my local Motor Vehicle Records just uses the straight-up "take a number" system. There's a special line for dealers. IIRC license renewals have to go through a separate office, or at least they do in my county of residence.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

adampk17
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:25 pm

NeelyCam wrote:

"I am number 2"
"Who is number 1?!"
"You are number 6"
"BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!"
I'm left alone.. my mind is blank..

I needed time to think
To get the memories from my mind

\m/
Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost.

Core i7-8086K | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 3200 | SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G| Corsair CX750M PSU

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:40 pm

ludi wrote:
Huh...my local Motor Vehicle Records just uses the straight-up "take a number" system. There's a special line for dealers. IIRC license renewals have to go through a separate office, or at least they do in my county of residence.

One joy of VT DMV is that once your picture is stored on their servers, license renewal is completely mail-based. Back in the college days I used to make serious bank running NY resident students up to Syracuse just so they could stand in line and get their licenses renewed.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:41 pm

NeelyCam wrote:
"I am number 2"
"Who is number 1?!"
"You are number 6"

Somehow I knew that would pop up here. Isn't really much difference between The Village and DMV.

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Welcome to the UK, everyone. My driving licence and vehicle tax are done entirely on line. No queuing for me! Also dealt with on line are EHIC (European Health Insurance Card), council tax, passport applications, self assessment tax returns, even voter registration (that's a print and post)

Welcome to 2013!
i5-4670 | Asus H87M-E | MSI GTX 960 | 8GB DDR3 @800 | WD Green 2TB | 850 EVO 250GB | CM Masterkeys Pro L White | MX518 (original!) | Hyper 212 Evo | 6TB Ubuntu/ZFS NAS
I was going to tell a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones argon.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:33 pm

One year, I tried renewing vehicle registration online, and ended up having to pay an extra $5 to get a duplicate sticker, because I never got the sticker in the mail.

willg
Gerbil

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:37 pm

Ironically the government gateway in the UK (that lets you do vehicle licensing,passport, tax etc) was built by Microsoft.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:57 pm

willg wrote:
Ironically

You keep using this word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

On topic, I get to renew my car license over the Internet once I get it inspected. No lines for me, at least not until .mo.us decides to redesign its license plates again.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x