Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

RIP Roger Ebert

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:03 pm

Can't say as I agreed with him all that much, but to deny his impact on the world of movie criticism is foolish. Here's a loving obit from the Chicago Sun-Times, his home base.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1732 ... ancer.html
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: RIP Roger Ebert

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:43 pm

Sneak Previews was the Jewel of PBS for me when I was younger. Thanks for everything R.E & R.I.P.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:31 pm

I recognize his importance even though I'm not much of a movie buff. RIP, Roger Ebert.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

trackerben

Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:12 pm

I for one will miss his movie reviews. He was good at explaining how a movie was setup to affect you, and pinpointing where the theme worked or else sucked. Sometimes his reviews would be infested with his political opinions like the anti-Bush rants of the 2000s, but he sure knew how to write.

Crayon Shin Chan

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:45 am

I always read his reviews after finishing a movie. And for the Bond movies, to find out which ones were worth watching. Our opinions agreed rather well.
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: [email protected], 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:07 pm

His reviews were usually pretty entertaining, and I'll miss them :(
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:22 pm

Been reading him for years on and off. Sad to see him go from cancer.

destroy.all.monsters
Gerbil

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:00 pm

I'm glad we had him around. I loved his passion for film and insightful commentary even when I thought he was wrong. He, and the tv shows he did, made an impact on those that might ignore indie and other movies that weren't given all kinds of play. I'd argue that he and his co-hosts helped the rise of the indie film industry. And despite his kicking of video games he was a decent guy and pretty much came around before his passing.

I hope he's arguing with Siskel about something wherever he is.
I have nothing against humanity that thousands of years of nuclear winter won't take care of.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:23 pm

trackerben wrote:
I for one will miss his movie reviews. He was good at explaining how a movie was setup to affect you, and pinpointing where the theme worked or else sucked. Sometimes his reviews would be infested with his political opinions like the anti-Bush rants of the 2000s, but he sure knew how to write.

Same here- whether he liked a movie or hated it, he communicated who the movie was for very well. His summaries were required reading during research, the full reviews after viewing, and I almost always agreed with him. Definitely helped me enjoy movies more too.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:32 pm

RIP.

I think he was a much better critic in print than on the show that launched him into fame. And he was a pretty good & consistent critic on the show.

He was a pretty good judge of what I would or would not enjoy in a film (by being completely wrong, but that's a minor detail. Even a compass that always points south has its uses).
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

stmurphey
Gerbil In Training

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:05 am

Its sad to see him pass away I used to watch him as a kid weather he voted a movie thumbs up or down. :(

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:47 pm

stmurphey wrote:
Its sad to see him pass away I used to watch him as a kid weather he voted a movie thumbs up or down. :(
What a strange topic to make your first post in. (゚、 。`フ

I didn't even know who he was until there was some minor controversy when he insisted that video games aren't art (an argument I will not abide here, as it has no place), and of course, being an avid gamer, this made me rather incensed. I decided to check out his body of work, and to my dismay, I found that I actually quite enjoyed his literate, informed, and amusingly dry style of writing, which frustrated me because his view on video games seemed so backward and ignorant by comparison.

I came away with a begrudging respect for the man and I'm sad to see him go, because he taught me a valuable life lesson: you can't judge someone (at all, in any way) merely based on one view they express. I think a lot of people could stand to learn this lesson.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:12 am

I didn't even know who he was until there was some minor controversy when he insisted that video games aren't art (an argument I will not abide here, as it has no place), and of course, being an avid gamer, this made me rather incensed. I decided to check out his body of work, and to my dismay, I found that I actually quite enjoyed his literate, informed, and amusingly dry style of writing, which frustrated me because his view on video games seemed so backward and ignorant by comparison.

that was my introduction to him too.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:30 pm

Now he and Siskel can write movie reviews of the beyond.