Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

For any fans of Marvel Universe - based movies

Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:58 pm

In case if any of you planned to purchase this new "limited edition" set containing all of the released movies (Iron Man/Hulk/Captain America/Avengers):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083SBMGW/
Don't do it! I'm already returning mine. The set is made up with an extremely flimsy, tiny (the carrying handle on it is made for toddler's hands) briefcase made out of cheap painted plastic, with a cheap plastic Tesseract "cube" with inexpensive blinking LED, few "case files" (which were actually pretty decent) and movies themselves, each packaged in a cheap cardboard sleeve (which can't even hold the disk securely) and with very lame single "bonus content" on separate disk... Pretty disappointing for a supposedly "limited edition" set. Of course, I didn't really expect an exact copy of movie's briefcase made out of real aluminum for such price, but they could've done better with it or raised the price for better quality hardware...
Soo... Yea, TLDR version: if you like those Marvel movies and you like collecting "limited editions" of movies - don't waste your $$$ on this junk, but them separately or wait for better release.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: For any fans of Marvel Universe - based movies

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:38 pm

Got the same thing and love the nerdy stuff inside. In fact, preordered it before and because it was caught up in a lawsuit between Marvel and the luggage manufacturer who made the case for the movie, Amazon gave free movies for the delay.

The wife and I already had all the individual movies but got this purely for the geekiness. If you're a comics or movie geek, I think it's worth it. The personnel files were groovy and yeah, the case is chintzy but good fun. The art-deco style of the movie slips are neat, too.

To each their own. We didn't go in expecting anything great. Originally we liked the thought of the case and all the movies but after Amazon gave us the movies for free, we figured why not keep it anyway.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:00 pm

Scrotos wrote:
Got the same thing and love the nerdy stuff inside. In fact, preordered it before and because it was caught up in a lawsuit between Marvel and the luggage manufacturer who made the case for the movie, Amazon gave free movies for the delay.

The wife and I already had all the individual movies but got this purely for the geekiness. If you're a comics or movie geek, I think it's worth it. The personnel files were groovy and yeah, the case is chintzy but good fun. The art-deco style of the movie slips are neat, too.

To each their own. We didn't go in expecting anything great. Originally we liked the thought of the case and all the movies but after Amazon gave us the movies for free, we figured why not keep it anyway.

Honestly my only criteria for buying this set would be: Is it cheaper than buying the movies separately? The case and the movies are going to sit on a shelf most of the time; it doesn't bother me if they are flimsy.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:05 pm

I understand that "to each is their own", but... For example, the plastic Bender's head from Futurama "complete edition" DVD set and the metal USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) replica statue from Star Trek limited edition Blu-Ray set both feel well-made, look very good (even without blinking lights) and I am not ashamed to show them off to other people (both of these movie sets cost me cheaper than the Marvel movie collection). I cannot say the same about cheap, flimsy junk in this Marvel set (even though I do like all of the movies themselves).
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people