Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Recommend me a SSD

Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:39 pm

I'll add a vote for Samsung here too -- I have 830s running in three different machines without issues, though I'm planning to replace one with a larger 840 Pro. Two factors that make me happy to stick with Samsung that have nothing to do with performance, since as others note there's no real perceptible difference on that front for consumer usage: Samsung has been quick to fix issues when they've arisen (though the last significant one was over a year ago in the 830, which was fixed with a new firmware) and their utility software ("SSD Magician") is actually worth installing -- and they've continued to update that as well. The only other proprietary SSD software I've seen that I consider worth the install is Intel's.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:27 pm

This thread is kind of over already, but I just wanted to chime in to say that I've sold a couple dozens of OCZ SSDs for my home computer business, I have them in my machine, and I put them in all of my family's PCs, and the only single problem any of us have had is that my personal Vertex4 died on me once (and OCZ happily replaced it -- overnight shipping too!).

OCZ gets a bad rap and I don't really think it's fair. I know my experience is totally anecdotal and not all that meaningful, but meh. They're fast (or in the case of some of the older drives, fast enough) and they used to be pretty cheap -- I bought ten 60GB Vertex Plus drives for $25 apiece after $25 MIR, at one time. Their drives seem to have become more expensive lately though, not sure what's up with that...

Khali
Gerbil XP

Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:41 pm

Reading through this again makes me real happy I got the two 512GB Samsung 830 SSD's while Newegg still had them in stock. If I had to pick a SSD today I would not hesitate to get anything from Samsung. Honestly any SSD is going to be faster than a HDD and comparing speed between the various SSD's its not something your going to be able to notice in general every day use. Once you get past the fast boot up time your just not going to notice much of a change. Sure some things will load and start up faster but its not going to be real noticeable.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:27 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I have an Intel 120GB, from the 320. It's older, so probably not what you want, but based on my experience I'd be happy to recommend a 335. Nothing but solid.

A big +1 to this, from another satisfied Intel SSD user.
Aside from the SSD320 in my personal rig, I also have several machines at work using the older X25s and they've not had a single problem.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:59 am

jihadjoe wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
I have an Intel 120GB, from the 320. It's older, so probably not what you want, but based on my experience I'd be happy to recommend a 335. Nothing but solid.

A big +1 to this, from another satisfied Intel SSD user.
Aside from the SSD320 in my personal rig, I also have several machines at work using the older X25s and they've not had a single problem.
Coincidentally, the 240GB Intel 335 series is on sale at Newegg today for $189.99.

joselillo_25
Gerbil

Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:41 am

I got a samgung 840, not pro.

It is still the only ssd I have use who has survive to several blackouts. 10 or 12 until today.

Someone could make this benchmark type.

ExoGeni
Gerbil

Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:23 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
*Deal alert* Intel 335 240GB $175 with promo code EMCYTZT2725, today (1/2) only.

After seeing this and reading a few benchmarks and comparisons, I'm going to run with the Intel (it's on sale, and $30 saved could buy me a nice meal or some beer!)

From what I saw in the TR review, the 335 is right there with the 840 Pro, and in some areas, it out performed it.

Coming from a WD 320 Blue, I think I'm in for a big surprise!
Core i7 920 Bloomfield ~2.66GHz // Asus P6T // 8GB (2 x 4GB) Corsair Dominator @ 1600MHz // Intel 335 240GB SSD // WD 320GB Blue // WD 1TB Black x2 // Sapphire HD4890 Vapor-X // Corsair 850TX // CM HAF 932 (1st gen) // Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R

GeForce6200
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:09 pm

ExoGeni wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
*Deal alert* Intel 335 240GB $175 with promo code EMCYTZT2725, today (1/2) only.

After seeing this and reading a few benchmarks and comparisons, I'm going to run with the Intel (it's on sale, and $30 saved could buy me a nice meal or some beer!)

From what I saw in the TR review, the 335 is right there with the 840 Pro, and in some areas, it out performed it.

Coming from a WD 320 Blue, I think I'm in for a big surprise!

It'll be night and day. Intel provides all the necessary tools and software easy to down load. I turned off the Win8 TRIM (SSD Defrag) and only use the Intel software. Great choice!
AMD FX8350|Gigabyte GA78LMT Modded (Rev 5.0)|EVGA 980Ti FTW|16GB Corsair DDR3|840 EVO|Raijentek STYX|Enermax TriathlorEco 650|M-Audio BX8a Deluxe

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:15 pm

I used to have an Intel X-25M 80GB SSD and agree that Intel's software is great. I actually prefer it to Samsung's software, although both are quite good.
x--x--x--x

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:39 pm

GeForce6200 wrote:
I turned off the Win8 TRIM (SSD Defrag) and only use the Intel software.

Why on earth would you do that?

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:41 pm

If the Intel software has an automated TRIM, should be a tomatoe/tomato situation.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:21 pm

Personally I think OCZ does deserve their reputation, but it's only relevant to their earlier Sandforce drives.

Their newer drives are pretty reliable from what I've seen. I'm running a Vertex 4. Can't complain about the speed at all, Win8 detected it as an SSD from the start as well (didn't on my Crucial M4 until a recent firmware update.)

My OCZ Revo is...relegated to only things I don't really need installed that badly but might want to play multiplayer.
Meow.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:28 pm

It still doesn't make a lot of sense. The OS is responsible for the 'deletes' that necessitate Trim's existence. The vendor Trim tool seems to be focused on situations where the OS would fail, or doesn't have Trim at all (XP and Vista), allowing for the drive to be 'Trim'd' manually and prevent write performance degradation.

I believe it stands to reason that having the OS issue Trim commands to the drive in concurrence with relevant filesystem activities would be a superior option to having a separate piece of software try to keep up with the OS.

I will say that using the vendor Trim software to supplement OS-based Trim would make sense if the drive's free space was required to be in its 'freshest' state for a specific application or process that is particularly IO bound, but would note that doing so will affect the lifespan of the drive.

GeForce6200
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:31 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
If the Intel software has an automated TRIM, should be a tomatoe/tomato situation.

Pretty much that is what I gathered from Intel's release notes. I just have the Intel on a scheduler, however I'm sure the Win8 would work fine. I just didn't want to to deal with two applications that, from what I had read, served the same function.
AMD FX8350|Gigabyte GA78LMT Modded (Rev 5.0)|EVGA 980Ti FTW|16GB Corsair DDR3|840 EVO|Raijentek STYX|Enermax TriathlorEco 650|M-Audio BX8a Deluxe

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Savyg wrote:
Personally I think OCZ does deserve their reputation, but it's only relevant to their earlier Sandforce drives.

Their newer drives are pretty reliable from what I've seen. I'm running a Vertex 4. Can't complain about the speed at all, Win8 detected it as an SSD from the start as well (didn't on my Crucial M4 until a recent firmware update.)

My OCZ Revo is...relegated to only things I don't really need installed that badly but might want to play multiplayer.

OCZ has earned their reputation, good and bad, over the years. They've done some stupid stuff, but they've also taken risks and they shouldn't be discounted.

Particularly, the Vector looks quite promising; I trust Intel and Samsung more (have two Intel SSDs and one Crucial with IMFT NAND), but neither company has a premium SSD that focuses on performance consistency like the Vector yet. Intel's commercial 3700 is priced out of range, at over double the $/GB of premium consumer models.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:37 pm

GeForce6200 wrote:
Ryu Connor wrote:

Pretty much that is what I gathered from Intel's release notes. I just have the Intel on a scheduler, however I'm sure the Win8 would work fine. I just didn't want to to deal with two applications that, from what I had read, served the same function.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with that- Intel's drives can function pretty well without Trim, so scheduling a pass that's compatible with your usage pattern makes sense.

I'm just wondering why you're using the Intel software at all- I don't see a need for it with standard desktop use, but if you're taxing the drive the detailed monitoring info would be useful.

DarkMikaru
Gerbil

Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:41 pm

Samsung all the way bro! I'm on my 4th one, and loving em. 2 64GB 830s, 1 256GB 830 (in my desktop I'm using now) & a 840 128GB for my work laptop. They've all been rock solid, no problems and the migration software works like a charm. Spend the money and just get a 128GB 840 for 99 bones shipped. And don't be discouraged if you have it on a Sata 2 interface, as what really matters is random reads which is what boots windows & opens programs faster. So you can't transfer that 6GB bluray rip in mere second versus potentially a minute or two.. big whoop. Your day to day computing will just be so much improved I really don't think you'll care.