Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

unreal
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

IE10 problems all over

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Ever since I installed IE10 on my Win7 Pro 32bit a lot of things go wrong.

First of all IE10 is not working. I cannot surf the web at all. Every site I go to I get a message "page cannot be displayed". Also Windows update is not working.

Other updates don't work either such as Adobe Flash player.

I did all the updates required by Microsoft before installing IE10 but it doesn't work. Any ideas ?
Use your password like your toothbrush, don't let anyone else use it and change it every six months.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: IE10 problems all over

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:04 pm

Looks like the network is bricked altogether. Try to see if the troubleshooting tool in Network and Sharing Center is of any help.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:06 pm

Sounds like a networking issue.

Have you tried connecting with another browser? Do you get the same issue with those?
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:07 pm

unreal wrote:
Ever since I installed IE10 on my Win7 Pro 32bit a lot of things go wrong.

First of all IE10 is not working. I cannot surf the web at all. Every site I go to I get a message "page cannot be displayed". Also Windows update is not working.

Other updates don't work either such as Adobe Flash player.

I did all the updates required by Microsoft before installing IE10 but it doesn't work. Any ideas ?

Might be some compatibility issue with certain program... Take a look at this:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/f ... 0d3?page=2
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

unreal
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
Sounds like a networking issue.

Have you tried connecting with another browser? Do you get the same issue with those?

I have no problem connecting with other browsers to the internet. IE10 is the only one that is not working. For some reason windows update and other updates/downloads are affected by it.

Is there a way to go back to IE9 ?
Use your password like your toothbrush, don't let anyone else use it and change it every six months.

rado992
Gerbil

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:33 pm

Well, if you don't insist on using IE10, reverting to IE9 is the easiest option. Try using System Restore to revert to a point before the IE10 installation and see how that goes. :wink:
ASUS X99 Deluxe|FD Define R5|Corsair RM1000|i7-5930K 4GHz|Corsair H110i GT|64GB DDR4-2666|GTX 970 G1|ASUS Xonar DX|Samsung 850 Evo 500GB|12TB Storage
HP Elitebook 2560p|Core i7 2760QM|16GB DDR3 1333|Crucial BX100 250GB

unreal
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:49 pm

rado992 wrote:
Well, if you don't insist on using IE10, reverting to IE9 is the easiest option. Try using System Restore to revert to a point before the IE10 installation and see how that goes. :wink:

yes, well, unfortunately I don't have a restore point before I installed IE10.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:43 pm

All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

unreal
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:05 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Thanks. That worked. I was able to uninstall IE10.

Going back to IE9.

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:32 pm

unreal wrote:
Ryu Connor wrote:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Thanks. That worked. I was able to uninstall IE10.

Going back to IE9.

Did it fix your issues?

unreal
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Problem not solved yet. I uninstalled IE10. But when I try to install IE9 I get a message telling me that IE9 already installed on my PC. I still can't run windows updates and any other updates. This is bad.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:31 pm

unreal wrote:
Problem not solved yet. I uninstalled IE10. But when I try to install IE9 I get a message telling me that IE9 already installed on my PC. I still can't run windows updates and any other updates. This is bad.

If you installed SP1 after IE9, I don't think you can remove IE9 so...erm yes it's already installed.

I just fixed my brothers Windows firewall with this guy when even MSes tools didn't work so I don't have any idea if it'll help but it surprised me!

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/wi ... n_one.html
Meow.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:57 pm

I probably should have gotten more involved in this than simply linking you what you wanted.

Go into:

Control Panel > Look in the upper right hand corner and make sure the "Category" drop down menu says Small or Large Icons > Internet Options > Advanced Tab > Reset button at the bottom of the menu.

If that fixes the problem feel free to safely re-install IE10.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

unreal
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:36 am

Ryu Connor wrote:
I probably should have gotten more involved in this than simply linking you what you wanted.

Go into:

Control Panel > Look in the upper right hand corner and make sure the "Category" drop down menu says Small or Large Icons > Internet Options > Advanced Tab > Reset button at the bottom of the menu.

If that fixes the problem feel free to safely re-install IE10.

Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. I have a bigger problem than just using IE10. Ever since I did all the updates before I installed IE10 I can't get any windows updates, I can't update Adobe, I can't even download things from the internet without it freezing. But I can surf the web no problem with any other browser.

At this point I don't care about using IE10, which was already uninstalled, as I can use any other browser. My problem is that I can't download updates from the web.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:34 am

I understand the problem, but your OS is significantly tore up. Uninstalling it didn't fix it and apparently the reset of IE to stock also didn't fix it.

1. Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections Tab > LAN settings > uncheck Use a proxy server for your LAN.
  2. Launch a command prompt with elevated priviledges and do a chkdsk c: /f (where C: is the system drive)
  3. Launch a command prompt with elevated priviledges and do a sfc /scannow
  4. Download and run the System Update Readiness Tool. This tool is designed to repair Windows Update.

If none of this fixes the problem your options start to narrow considerably.

LostCat

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:04 am

That tool I mentioned does have a 'fix windows update' option as well as many others.

only time I can't run those is when the system time is off, personally, but that's probably been checked
Meow.

LostCat

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:24 am

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/904100_10151596983619391_1932536792_o.jpg
(step 4 is just backing up stuff and setting a system restore point)

Edit by: Ryu Connor
Please shrink/thumbnail the image so as not to mess with the forum formatting.
Meow.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 am

That tool does some destructive stuff. He really shouldn't do that except as a last resort.

LostCat

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:22 am

Ryu Connor wrote:
That tool does some destructive stuff. He really shouldn't do that except as a last resort.

Potentially? Sure. But he can only use the options he actually needs.

Certainly not more destructive than the problem he already has on that note.
Meow.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:32 am

One of the options I listed is designed to fix Windows Update and isn't destructive. It would be better to start there.

LostCat

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:04 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
One of the options I listed is designed to fix Windows Update and isn't destructive. It would be better to start there.

I don't really know how you can say it's destructive anyway, but yeah of course it's always better to use normal tools if they work...when they don't as in my case, you're just pretty much screwed. And for a lot of people who don't know techie stuff in the first place it's informative as well (the optional stuff are things most techs would recommend to do first anyway.)

At any rate, whatever works.
Meow.

unreal
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
I understand the problem, but your OS is significantly tore up. Uninstalling it didn't fix it and apparently the reset of IE to stock also didn't fix it.

1. Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections Tab > LAN settings > uncheck Use a proxy server for your LAN.
  2. Launch a command prompt with elevated priviledges and do a chkdsk c: /f (where C: is the system drive)
  3. Launch a command prompt with elevated priviledges and do a sfc /scannow
  4. Download and run the System Update Readiness Tool. This tool is designed to repair Windows Update.

If none of this fixes the problem your options start to narrow considerably.

Non of these worked. Still same problem of not getting any updates. Now even my Symantec antivirus can't get updates from "LiveUpdate" and is showing a risk of not protected. I am thinking about re-installing my OS.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:37 pm

Savyg wrote:
I don't really know how you can say it's destructive anyway,

I noticed that the "fix" the author of that program created for people having permissions troubles was to add Admin, Users, and Everyone group to the disk and give Full Control. I find that incredibly destructive. It's essentially the same as doing a "chmod 777 /*"

If he is doing that for one part of his program, then I find the rest of his fixes to be equally suspect.

I am thinking about re-installing my OS.

You're about at that point. Could try this and you could try the program that Savyg recommends. I don't know of any tricks left to restore the OS of the damage done without further research. That research is likely to lead to complex command line cleaning as well.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:50 pm

Could the antivirus consider windows update as unsafe and block it when trying to run it? I suppose the same could happen to the other programs as well. Have you checked the rules for your firewall? If you can't find them just disable the antivirus and try to run windows update and see if it runs.

Regarding flash player iirc when updating flash manually it just redirects you through your default web browser to a download page hosted by software developer. If it's on automatic it runs it's own window simillar to that when it runs the installer.

Anyways you could update it simply by uninstalling it and installing the latest version. If you can't download the latest version using IE, then use chrome or firefox to download the installer.

Here is a tutorial on how to properly uninstall flash player in case it has issues.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

unreal
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:42 pm

I tried EVERYTHING that was suggested on this forum and nothing helped.

Windows will not update. Symantec will not update. Adobe will not update. I am a Microsoft supporter and always updates the latest version of everything but IE10 update was a mistake for me.

I am about to re-install windows.

LostCat

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:10 pm

unreal wrote:

out of rabid curiousity...

why the hell would you use a 32 bit version anyway?
Meow.

unreal
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:06 am

Savyg wrote:
unreal wrote:

out of rabid curiousity...

why the hell would you use a 32 bit version anyway?

Well it's a long story which I don't want to bore you with. But this computer started with Vista. Say no more.

So now I did a clean install of Win7 64-bit and so far things are looking good.