Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

morphine
TR Staff
Topic Author

Physical ticket systems with time tracking

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:37 am

I apologize, I have no idea what these are meant to be called:

You go to the post office, or whatever, you take a number. Your entry time is registered in a computer somewhere, and optionally you're given an estimate of how long it'll take until it's your turn. Number shows up on a big dashboard/TV, and the person behind the counter can manage the queue - mostly pulling up the next number in line.

What are these systems called, and are there any recommended brands? Simplicity and ease of use are key.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Re: Physical ticket systems with time tracking

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:51 am

Starting point for you
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queue_management_system

just google queue systems and a number of options will come up.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:34 am

Seems like it would almost be easier (and cheaper) to write a script for this function. Just take a running average of the n most recent transaction times and multiply it times the number of active tickets in the queue. There's the average wait time t for the next ticket. Then add, say, 10% and tell the next customer their expected wait time is "t to 1.1*t minutes."
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

morphine
TR Staff
Topic Author

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:53 am

ludi wrote:
Seems like it would almost be easier (and cheaper) to write a script for this function. Just take a running average of the n most recent transaction times and multiply it times the number of active tickets in the queue. There's the average wait time t for the next ticket. Then add, say, 10% and tell the next customer their expected wait time is "t to 1.1*t minutes."

I forgot to add - I was looking for an off-the-shelf solution, or as close as possible - maybe the ticket printer machine, and the relevant PC software.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:58 am

Is this a single-function queue (i.e. everyone needs the same service) or is it like my state DMV that's broken down into 6 sub-queues based on the service you need?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

morphine
TR Staff
Topic Author

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Single queue, Ned.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:09 pm

morphine wrote:
Single queue, Ned.

Anything wrong with the classic deli paper ticket and "now serving" sign, or are you looking to get some metrics out of the system?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

morphine
TR Staff
Topic Author

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
morphine wrote:
Single queue, Ned.

Anything wrong with the classic deli paper ticket and "now serving" sign, or are you looking to get some metrics out of the system?

The customer in question is required by law to record at least the time of entry, and I believe, also the time until service is rendered.

This is off my area of expertise, so apologies for all the noob-ish questions and poor/incomplete question phrasing :)