GoPro dissapointments

What you see is what you get, including photography, displays, and video equipment.

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

GoPro dissapointments

Postposted on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:46 pm

While I'm generally impressed with the GoPro Hero 3 Silver I just bought, the fact that GoPro decided to create a mobile app to view the camera live via WiFi (the GoPro acts as a wireless router) is great. However what is not great is their blatant disregard for viewing the camera on Windows. I'm so dissapointed as this prevented us from having a live feed to the computer to then stream online using another tool (Live Stream for Producers) for a sled dog race as the official stream for this big event. I mean with a USB connection and a WiFi connection, why on windows do you not offer this.

Bare in mind you can ghetto it together using VLC which constantly loses connection. The WiFi stands strong but if other is a slight hiccup in recording you are Sol and have to retell Vlc to play. We found a few other options to stream with vlc via the WiFi but still the footage would stop randomly. Regardless of it working sometimes, the fact that you have to go outside to a third party to get things to wok (not really) is insane and unacceptable.

I feel as though I've been sold an incomplete hardware/software package.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

i5-2500K|Asus P67 Sabertooth|16GB Corsair 1600|MSI 7850 2GB|250gb Evo 840|Corsair 400R|ET750w PSU|Logitech G5|Dell 2420L|Corsair Vengeance 1300
Welch
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Re: GoPro dissapointments

Postposted on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Welch, I realize this is coming a month+ after your post, but I was wondering how the GoPro 3 Silver is working out for you. Did they ever upgrade the mobile app? Did you ever find an easier solution for streaming content to Windows?
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus
Darkmage
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to Visual Haven