Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

mikkroik
Gerbil
Topic Author

Best Backup System

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:46 am

Recently I lost all my data in a flood. I had two HD’s connected to my router in the kitchen (in the apartment taht was the most covenant place to put it). We had the sink overflow and get about an inch + of water all over the floor destroying both drives.

I have a backup on a server at my parent’s house but it might be missing some data since I never updated it for about a year.

I want to know what systems/devices you use for backup.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Best Backup System

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:04 am

Well...I would start by recommending a shelf or a small table :o

What kind of backup system are you looking for? Something to plug into the network briefly and then store offsite, or just an always-online, mirrored copy in another room?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

xtalentx
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:06 am

I back most of my data up to Amazon s3 cloud storage. I also have a lot backed up to skydrive.

Pretty sure I am safe should I lose any physical drives.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:14 am

Crashplan is what I use.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:17 am

If your data is important, you must include regularly updated off-site storage. Ideally far enough off-site that it'd take a nuclear war to destroy both copies (i.e., in the same town is bad if your area's prone to flood, earthquakes, tornadoes, or hurricanes).

How you do it depends on how much data's involved. If it's just a few GB, you could put it into a free Google Drive or Dropbox account. If you need more storage you can buy it from them; there's also Crashplan and Carbonite. It wouldn't hurt to make a snapshot on a semi-regular basis onto an external HD and put that into a bank's safe-deposit box. Always test your backups on a regular basis to make sure they're good for when you need them. If they contain sensitive information (tax or health records, say) strongly consider encrypting them.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

AntiSp4wn
Gerbil

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:18 am

So you're going to get people who fall into a couple camps on this. Build your own raid server, mirror to another location locally, cloud, etc.

I'm going to throw out what I think is maybe the best security vs. easiness solution (obviously you can build your own box for the best price and hack it to do anything you can dream). My recommendation is getting a Synology NAS. It's pretty much a server that does most everything most people would want at a pretty darn reasonable price and it's dead simple. I bought their $300 two bay system, put a couple drives in it, the drives are automagically set up in a RAID solution that lets me hot-swap either should one die, and perhaps best yet Synology has a one-click install "app store" that takes care of most things you could need. They've a few relatively cheap cloud backup systems built in through a few reputable companies, easy to setup remote access, iOS and Android apps, and you can even use them as a media server. You can also setup automatic backups with both windows and mac machines very easily to the Synology. The list of what they can do out of the box is pretty incredible.

Now Synology units are not as flexible, obviously, as if you built your own box. And not quite as cheap. Your choices will also be somewhat limited in terms of cloud backup providers. But if a drive dies, you just replace it, and at a fraction of the cost of lets say a Drobo. And with all of the functionality you get out of the box you'll be setup with everything you could want, and more, probably the same day it arrives on your doorstep.

mikkroik
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:29 am

xtalentx wrote:
I back most of my data up to Amazon s3 cloud storage. I also have a lot backed up to skydrive.

Pretty sure I am safe should I lose any physical drives.

I took a look at amazon s3. I want about 500GB of backup so I calculated that might cost me about $38/month in data costs. The thing is, I want to be able to read and write constantly to that data. It seems that that comes with an extra expense.

I see amazon s3 Glacier to me an amazing backup for super old files ect.

Thanks so much!

mikkroik
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:36 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Crashplan is what I use.

I really like this idea. Load up a computer with a raid 0 (2 * 2TB drive) and have it push it to Crashplan. It's kinda the same as having raid 1 + 0 for a VERY VERY low cost.

Thanks!!!!

Kurotetsu
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:41 am

You can get 1 year free of unlimited backup on Crashplan right now:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1758040
Under Construction Forever~~~

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:52 am

mikkroik wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Crashplan is what I use.

I really like this idea. Load up a computer with a raid 0 (2 * 2TB drive) and have it push it to Crashplan. It's kinda the same as having raid 1 + 0 for a VERY VERY low cost.

Thanks!!!!

NO. NO NO NO.

A backup is only as good as the data that's coming in. If your RAID-0 starts to fail silently (and it's twice as likely to fail as a single drive), corrupting only some of the data, your backup gets corrupted too.

Forget entirely about RAID-0. Buy an SSD and put your operating system & some programs on it, then put your data on the spinning disk.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

mikkroik
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:11 pm

bthylafh wrote:
mikkroik wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Crashplan is what I use.

Thanks!!!!

NO. NO NO NO.

A backup is only as good as the data that's coming in. If your RAID-0 starts to fail silently (and it's twice as likely to fail as a single drive), corrupting only some of the data, your backup gets corrupted too.

Forget entirely about RAID-0. Buy an SSD and put your operating system & some programs on it, then put your data on the spinning disk.

Grrrr! I do agree, I keep thinking about dropbox where you can see data overtime. So for now a single 2-3TB drive will do.

mikkroik
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:12 pm

Kurotetsu wrote:
You can get 1 year free of unlimited backup on Crashplan right now:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1758040

That is just awesome! I think they made a new customer for life.

frumper15
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:39 pm

Check out the comments here:
http://techreport.com/news/24084/any-re ... p-software

and the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75326&hilit=crashplan

I use WHS2011 and Crashplan at home and work - saved my bacon a number of times. I have used Macrium reflect to good affect as well. There are a thousand ways to skin the backup cat, but the important thing is that you do something. It's unfortunate that you lost anything - hopefully anything that isn't at your parents is easily recreated. You could set up a free crashplan mirror with your parents house so you don't lose any more than a few days at worse.
i7-8086K | Z370 AORUS GAMING WIFI | 32GB DDR4-2400 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 512GB 960 Pro | 27" Dell 2560x1440 Gsync | Fractal R6 | Seasonic Focus Plus 850W | Win10 Pro x64.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:48 pm

I use Jungle Disk for backups. I do have a external HD that I backup data to, so I don't have to pull so much back down, if I lose a system.

mcnabney
Gerbil

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:52 pm

Windows Home Server.

Probably the most brilliant piece of software that MS ever created.

Naturally, they are killing it.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:59 pm

mcnabney wrote:
Windows Home Server.

Probably the most brilliant piece of software that MS ever created.

Naturally, they are killing it.

Your tense is incorrect. They killed it 2 years ago. I still have my WHS V1 running, but I don't use it for backups anymore. Just haven't gotten around to pulling out the old backups off of it.

sid1089
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:10 pm

I use WHS1 + a powershell task to pull data from all other computers every 3 hours.

Then Crashplan backs up the data on the WHS.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero