Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Win 8 and News Feed

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:36 am

Hey guys,

Ok first off I generally like win 8. That being said I had a few questions about the news app. It appears that I cannot... filter or parse news sources in anyway through that built in app. Sorta making it useless to me in a sad fashion as it basically feeds me things that I usually don't care about. I wish I could setup different Tiles with different content, one for ALL news is cool and usefull but not as useful as several that feed more focused news feeds. Is there a way I can do that in windows 8 or do I need to use a 3rd party app??? I sorta missed the whole RSS feed thing when it was going on but reading about it looks like it was a great trend for advanced consumers. I had considered trying a Twitter account to cater a specific news feed from subscribed accounts but that has some limiting factors to it too.

PS, I can't find tech report in the news app on win 8

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: Win 8 and News Feed

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:52 pm

Still wondering about this, coverage for windows 8 features is startlingly sparse or skin deep.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Most of the Microsoft apps are junk. Just get the "apps" for the sites that you follow and stop putting up with Microsoft's half-assed attempt.

I'm curious how this thread goes because I'm not quite sure what I'll do when Google Reader stops.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:18 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Most of the Microsoft apps are junk. Just get the "apps" for the sites that you follow and stop putting up with Microsoft's half-assed attempt.

I'm curious how this thread goes because I'm not quite sure what I'll do when Google Reader stops.

If you dive into the apps they are literally a hairs breadth away from being GREAT. I mean the include feed from every site I follow but your ability to customize them is really not there. I mean its cool because they have feed from sites that stopped supporting RSS feeds. If you guys have an alternative app to do what I want please let me know.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:29 pm

kamikaziechameleon wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:

If you dive into the apps they are literally a hairs breadth away from being GREAT. I mean the include feed from every site I follow but your ability to customize them is really not there. I mean its cool because they have feed from sites that stopped supporting RSS feeds. If you guys have an alternative app to do what I want please let me know. I'm also looking for a Google reader replacement currently and have no idea what to do. Most apps are built on it.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:06 pm

*edited for reasons unknown to mortal men*

I actually just grabbed the app again yesterday so I'm behind on this one.
Meow.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:31 pm

good lord I can't even parse a forum thread right now, nevermind me.

If you 'scroll down' the options are on the far right of the app, you can remove categories and such. It's not as customizable as it could be, but you can add and remove sources.

You can't really add custom tiles sadly, but you can remove them at least.
Meow.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Savyg wrote:
good lord I can't even parse a forum thread right now, nevermind me.

If you 'scroll down' the options are on the far right of the app, you can remove categories and such. It's not as customizable as it could be, but you can add and remove sources.

You can't really add custom tiles sadly, but you can remove them at least.

Hugely helpful, thanks.