Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

south side sammy
Gerbil
Topic Author

new intel/amd apu

Thu May 02, 2013 6:36 am

I see Intel is slobbering all over itself with it's new graphics on die. kinda like how they compare it to past generations but so far I haven't seen anybody put that against the apu........... any idea on how long these will show up?..... yeah, I know, it hasn't been released yet. anybody see any "hypothetical" comparisons yet?

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: new intel/amd apu

Thu May 02, 2013 8:56 am

Intel's only released benchmark so far is 3DMark06/11/Vantage, and they only compare against the HD4000 which was so spectacularly bad at 3DMark that those results are completely irrelevant.

Unless anything is leaked I wouldn't expect any real benchmarks and comparisons until launch day, June 3rd.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Great_Big_Abyss
Gerbil

Thu May 02, 2013 9:24 am

And, by the time Haswell is released, and Intel's iGPU comes close to Trinity, Kavery will be just around the corner anyway, and will promise "2-3x" gains anyway.

It's the one area in which AMD is ahead, and I actually want them to stay ahead.
My Rig: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster Gemin II; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI GTX960; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 4TB WD Red; 2x 2TB WD Green; PC&C 750W PS; Corsair Carbide 600C;

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 02, 2013 9:27 am

Reports are that the GT3e (presumably the faster-clocked desktop version) will perform similarly to the Nvidia GT640. Depending on whether you're interested in desktop or mobile performance is the big question. Also, driver support can also factor in here if you're gaming. Intel is getting better at drivers, but AMD will probably remain better through this generation.

On the desktop, AMD is using a higher TDP than Intel which gives them more headroom for graphics power so AMDs desktop APUs are currently better than Intel. I would expect AMD to keep this lead (although by a smaller margin than current IVB/Trinity) through the Haswell/Richland and Kaveri generations(due later this year).

Mobile performance is where Haswell is really set to threaten AMD. Intel can currently cram in more performance-per-watt than AMD (mostly due to fab) so I wouldn't be surprised to see Haswell GT3e eclipse Richland. I/we don't know what Kaveri will bring yet.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod