Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Cooling the Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:29 pm

I've got a new Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E case here waiting impatiently for a Haswell processor, a micro-ATX Lynx Point Z87 motherboard and a few other components to be installed in a few weeks.

How should I set up the cooling in this case?

I expect to purchase an Asus motherboard with several PWM fan controllers (similar to the P8Z77-M Pro, P8Z68-M Pro, F1A75-M Pro and other Asus micro-ATX motherboards that I've purchased previously). I will run the front-mounted 180mm AP181 Air Pentrator fan from one of the motherboard's case temperature controllers (though it is controlled by 3-pin analog voltage rather than by a 4-pin PWM control).

For the CPU cooler, I have available a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo or a Corsair Hydro Series H70. Mounting the radiator at the back of the case would ensure that heat from the CPU is vented to the outside, but it would force at least one fan on the radiator to run on CPU temperature, possibly not providing the best regulation of case temperature. I have a variety of high-quality 120 and 140mm PWM fans available to try on the 120mm rear outlet, on the H70 radiator or on the Hyper 212 Evo.

Should I use the H70 or the Hyper 212 Evo?

With the inverted motherboard mounting arrangement of the TJ08-E, the graphics card will be above the CPU. The GPU heatsink will be on the top side of the card, so its heat will tend to be trapped in the upper part of the case. I'm currently using a Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD7950. While this card is equipped with a very good heatsink, it dumps most of its heat inside the case rather than exhausting it out the back.

I've got a SeaSonic Platinum Series SS-660XP² power supply. The TJ08-E case can allow the ATX power supply to be mounted upside down, so that its fan draws in cool outside air from the top of the case and exhausts it out the back. That's great for keeping the PSU cool, but it doesn't help exhaust hot air from inside the case. If I mount the power supply conventionally, its fan will pull warm air away from the graphics card and exhaust it out the back. I expect that this would help the graphics card but subject the power supply to higher temperatures than it would see in the upside-down arrangement.

How should I mount the power supply? Right-side up (fan pulling air from inside the case) or upside-down (fan pulling air from outside the case)?

Obviously, I could design a 3-factor full-factorial (or larger) experiment with replicates to test the performance of the possible combinations, but I don't plan to assemble and disassemble things in a small micro-ATX case sixteen or more times. I'll take the suggestions from the knowledgeable gerbils here as a good starting point.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Cooling the Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E

Thu May 02, 2013 9:16 am

Best config will depend on your answer to these two questions:

• Are you going for silent-running or overclocking?
  • Are you keeping the drive bay for 3.5" drives or removing it for better airflow?

With the PSU segragated from the case airflow like this you have much more intake than exhaust which deals with the GPU dumping hot air into the case rather well; The positive pressure forces this dumped air out of the back via the perforations. I can't remember if the TJO8-E came with perforated PCI slot covers but that made sense to me when I built it.

Edit: My own TJ08 at home is the original, non-E version and I found it pretty quiet even with a 7950 Vapor-X in it. I have a 2500K alongside it and run both overclocked with only a couple of low-RPM 120mm fans to deal with case-cooling. Neither CPU (@4.5GHz, stock voltage) nor the GPU (@925MHz, stock voltage) get particularly hot, but I guess I live in a country with a cool ambient temperature, so the GPU typically idles at 28C or so and ramps up to 60C or so under prolonged load.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 02, 2013 1:38 pm

I have the Silverstone PS07-B which is the same exact layout as the Tremjin except for 2- 120mm front fans instead of the 180mm AP fan. (System specs as listed)

1) How many hdds and SSDs are you putting in there? If you are using the Hyper 212 EVO you will likely run into clearance problems with the fan on the "push" side if you're putting anything but SSDs in the removable drive cage. (side effect of the short depth) You can still get one full size hdd in the bottom slot, but if hdds spill up into the removable cage, you'll have to run the EVO fan on the "pull" side. (which basically negates the need to use an exhaust fan since they'd be almost touching) I have one SSD in the cage, hdd in the bottom slot, HSF in push orientation and a quiet 120mm fan (got it for free after MIR) in the rear fan mount. CPU and GPU temps appear normal. The fan noise from the CPU and GPU don't increase while gaming, whisper quiet. (disclaimer: my Asus GTX 660 fans are inaudible from idle to full load w/ FurMark/Kombustor anyway)

2) This case seems prime for water cooling. The short front-back dimension and the copious amount of intake airflow from the AP fan work pretty well. While not an exact match, you could safely assume that as GPU heat increases, CPU heat would also be increasing. If anything, maybe just set a slightly higher minimum fan speed on the radiator.

3) The exhaust / radiator fan are going to sit immediately below the GPU. Sure, you'll get a bit of a heat pocket above the GPU, but fan forced air generally trumps "rising heat." Remember, your 7950 fans are technically pushing air down onto the card and out the sides too. I think its perfectly fine to leave the PSU drawing air from outside the case.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu May 02, 2013 4:51 pm

Despite my hatred for the drive cage on the TJ08-e, it's still, in my opinion, the best mATX case out there. I've done 5 or 6 builds with it. You do indeed need to put the fan on the pull side for 120 mm coolers.

Also, I /always/ mount the PSU such that it exhausts air from inside the case - i.e. I point the PSU fan down. This almost always means I am unable to route the CPU power cable through the hole near the bottom of the case, unfortunately, but I do it to achieve better ventilation.

That front fan /can/ become incredibly quiet with some additional fan speed control - the switch alone will not do it. On the other hand, it can haul ass at full speed and supply all the air you should ever need.

I'm really mad at Silverstone for this case because it is so close to perfect. They should ditch the 3.5" floppy bad! They should provide for sideways hard drive mounting. They should provide mounts for SSDs. The drive cage is a maddening affair. And every one of these I have always has USB ports at the front of the case that point slightly upward, giving a sort of half-boner appearance when flash drives are plugged in.

thebluebumblebee
Gerbil

Thu May 02, 2013 7:12 pm

Here's an image of one with an H80. Your H70 is almost identical.
OP, you seem to be forgetting that this little case has a huge 180mm fan in front pushing air through the case. I just don't think you'll have any problem with heat, especially with the H70 pushing out (not in like Corsair wants). I'd have the PSU draw air from the outside. Under normal conditions, I'd expect that the fan would not run and the heat would rise right out of the PSU and case.
I have not had the pleasure of working with this case but agree with flip-mode that it is almost perfect. I'd like to add to flip's suggestion that the case be made just a little deeper so that the PSU has more room and there is more room where companies seem to be putting USB3 connectors - by the ATX power connector. I want Silverstone to build an ATX version of this. Drop the 3.5" bay and use 2 180mm fans in front. :D

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2013 7:26 pm

DPete27 wrote:
How many hdds and SSDs are you putting in there?
I'll have one 9.5 mm thick 2½" SSD, one 5¼" Blu-ray burner and two 3½" 7200 rpm hard-drives. I intend to use the external 3½" bay for a card reader/USB3 hub. PCIe cards will be just the graphics card and a Sound Blaster ZX.

Chrispy_ wrote:
Are you going for silent-running or overclocking?
Can I have my cake and eat it too? I'm planning for the controllers to slow all of the fans down to a nearly-inaudible level when I'm reading and posting on TR's forums, then spin them up to wherever they need to be to keep things nice and cool while I'm playing Guild Wars 2 or other games.

Chrispy_ wrote:
With the PSU segragated from the case airflow like this you have much more intake than exhaust which deals with the GPU dumping hot air into the case rather well; The positive pressure forces this dumped air out of the back via the perforations. I can't remember if the TJO8-E came with perforated PCI slot covers but that made sense to me when I built it.
thebluebumblebee wrote:
Here's an image of one with an H80.
Thanks for that. It does make clear that the perforated slot covers provide a vent for heat from the graphics card. I'll have just one of those blocked with the sound card.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions and comments so far!
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 03, 2013 4:14 am

Yeah, with a fan controller you can have your cake and eat it. Given the size of the case, that 180mm fan running at full-tilt is the very definition of airflow overkill.

• You will get quieter running at idle by having the PSU drink from the clean fresh air outside.
  • You will get (marginally) better GPU cooling by flipping the PSU upside down to exhaust air from the GPU; Your PSU will obviously run much hotter since the 60C exhaust air off the graphics card will ramp your PSU's fan profile right up to high speeds.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 03, 2013 8:22 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
I can't remember if the TJO8-E came with perforated PCI slot covers

Yes it does (see pictures)

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I'll have one 9.5 mm thick 2½" SSD, one 5¼" Blu-ray burner and two 3½" 7200 rpm hard-drives. I intend to use the external 3½" bay for a card reader/USB3 hub

In that case, you're probably better off with the H70.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri May 03, 2013 8:31 am

I'm leaning toward using the H70 on the CPU and setting up the power supply to pull air from the outside.

Maybe I should use this 5¼" bay adapter with a tray or slot-load slim Blu-ray burner in one of the 5¼" bays with the 3½" card reader.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 03, 2013 3:27 pm

well, if you have the TJ08-E on the floor, the 3.5" bay is an arse to get to.

It's just a really nasty, ugly, off-centre, pointless little wart of a bay - I guess it's there to provide a token gesture to 3.5" drive users who want to remove the main drive cage....

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri May 03, 2013 6:07 pm

I intend to put the case on the back left corner of my desk (sideways, behind the monitors).