Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

albundy
Gerbil
Topic Author

2013 games...so this is what it has come down to

Wed May 08, 2013 3:18 am

was looking forward to playing might and magic heroes 6: shades of darkness and noticed all the wonderful comments on amazon, none of which had more than 1 star. wtf is going on with forcing drm down everyone's throat like this? every release now is a complete failure or causing major issues since these gaming company beasts are making games work with online access only or some other scheme. i guess if your looking forward to bankruptcy, might as well go rocket barreling in!

http://www.amazon.com/Might-Magic-Heroe ... B00B1WR2WU
Please feel free to sculpt my insanity with your post.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Re: 2013 games...so this is what it has come down to

Wed May 08, 2013 8:11 am

one of the cases you wish you could assign 0 stars.

odizzido
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed May 08, 2013 8:40 am

If nobody buys it the DRM will go away. Unfortunately, it has been proven time and time again that people will buy it regardless. I wish people would stop playing DRM garbage. Or I at least wish that people that can't help but play the game no matter what would just pirate it instead. I'd rather them pirate the game than give the company money. Hurry up and die off DLC DRM ridden companies that are ruining gaming.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed May 08, 2013 9:46 am

I was looking forward to playing Simcity and I still am playing it.

Maybe I'm olde, I don't see the point in getting worked up over not being able to play for a day or two.
Meow.

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed May 08, 2013 10:48 am

That depends on how much time you have to play the game. If your time is limited and the game seems to be down when you want to play then there's a real problem with always on DRM. Or perhaps you want to be able to play a game while out at a remote site with your family and there is no internet connection available. That pretty much kills the possibility of playing SimCity or any other always-on/connection required game.

LostCat

Wed May 08, 2013 10:56 am

nanoflower wrote:
That depends on how much time you have to play the game. If your time is limited and the game seems to be down when you want to play then there's a real problem with always on DRM. Or perhaps you want to be able to play a game while out at a remote site with your family and there is no internet connection available. That pretty much kills the possibility of playing SimCity or any other always-on/connection required game.

Life goes on. I'm old enough to remember Starforce and Tages which were unstable as all hell and kept you from playing on newer OSes. I seem to be hitting my Securom limits more than I'd prefer too. I'll take occasionally unable to play over permanently unable to play or having to talk to support to ever play again.
Meow.

Voldenuit

Wed May 08, 2013 11:09 am

Savyg wrote:
Life goes on. I'm old enough to remember Starforce and Tages which were unstable as all hell and kept you from playing on newer OSes. I seem to be hitting my Securom limits more than I'd prefer too. I'll take occasionally unable to play over permanently unable to play or having to talk to support to ever play again.

And you think those DRM servers will be online forever... how???
Wind, Sand and Stars.

LostCat

Wed May 08, 2013 11:12 am

Voldenuit wrote:
And you think those DRM servers will be online forever... how???

Because they make the publisher money.
Meow.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed May 08, 2013 11:42 am

odizzido wrote:
If nobody buys it the DRM will go away. Unfortunately, it has been proven time and time again that people will buy it regardless.

I'm not so sure punishing ourselves ( abstaining from playing a game we will enjoy ) just to punish the publishers is the right way to go about this. I can see how the piracy route would make sense in such a context, but is resorting to illegal methods really the way to generate positive change? I'm not so sure.

superjawes

Wed May 08, 2013 11:52 am

MaxTheLimit wrote:
odizzido wrote:
If nobody buys it the DRM will go away. Unfortunately, it has been proven time and time again that people will buy it regardless.

I'm not so sure punishing ourselves ( abstaining from playing a game we will enjoy ) just to punish the publishers is the right way to go about this. I can see how the piracy route would make sense in such a context, but is resorting to illegal methods really the way to generate positive change? I'm not so sure.

Boycotting DRM games won't help nearly as much as people think it will...publishers have rights, too. Specifically, they do have a certain right to protect their intellectual property from piracy. This can result in some nasty schemes that can hurt customers, but ignoring this right will not affect any sort of positive change.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 08, 2013 11:58 am

odizzido wrote:
If nobody buys it the DRM will go away. Unfortunately, it has been proven time and time again that people will buy it regardless. I wish people would stop playing DRM garbage. Or I at least wish that people that can't help but play the game no matter what would just pirate it instead. I'd rather them pirate the game than give the company money. Hurry up and die off DLC DRM ridden companies that are ruining gaming.

Wrong solution... piracy just leads to them developing the next generation of DRM. Soon you will have software that will contact the local authorities and dispatch them to your house automatically.

uni-mitation
Gerbil XP

Wed May 08, 2013 12:45 pm

Like it goes: Only when people die they start to give a ****.

So, even if you gripe and whine about it in an enthusiast site, and people post about it and stuff, nothing will change. For change to affect the overwhelming train that is the status quo, momentum must be overwhelming, the response merciless.

Take Ghandi's struggle against the raj, and a lot of things will become clear.

You want to get rid of DRM on games? No, Naively thinking that just you not buying said products can affect change, no. You need satyagraha.

If you truly want to affect change, then join and rally like minded people and bring awareness of the evils that is DRM. Otherwise, gripe away, another day unchanged.

Game_boy
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 08, 2013 12:47 pm

superjawes wrote:
MaxTheLimit wrote:
odizzido wrote:

Boycotting DRM games won't help nearly as much as people think it will...publishers have rights, too. Specifically, they do have a certain right to protect their intellectual property from piracy. This can result in some nasty schemes that can hurt customers, but ignoring this right will not affect any sort of positive change.

They have the right, but not the means. As we know DRM has never stopped a determined pirate.

And boycotting is wrong, but simply not buying because it's an inferior product and not worth your money is exactly what you should do. Companies that make bad games do die or change.

LostCat

Wed May 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Game_boy wrote:
Companies that make bad games do die or change.

While this is true, it's also subjective. Your bad game may be what many other people wanted.

Which is why EA is still here, despite all the people bitching about them for the last two decades.

Despite the missteps under his command I liked EA under Riccitiello far more than I did under Probst, so I hope the new CEO doesn't **** everything up when they finally choose one.
Meow.

uni-mitation
Gerbil XP

Wed May 08, 2013 12:58 pm

Those that remain silent deserve to lose their rights.

Become politically minded. Know what you think is beneficial to society, debate and keep an open mind.

Show people why DRM is an ill remedy to piracy and how it erodes our civil liberties. Rally people to your side, bring grievances and make it a political movement, peaceful, animated with one spirit and one purpose: to eradicate DRM.

It can be done, only that not knowing how is the same as being blind in this passage of 1000 leagues that we call life.

LostCat

Wed May 08, 2013 1:23 pm

uni-mitation wrote:
Those that remain silent deserve to lose their rights.

You have the right to buy or not buy a product in whatever form it's sold. Nothing ever changed that.
Meow.

Game_boy
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 08, 2013 1:33 pm

Savyg wrote:
Game_boy wrote:
Companies that make bad games do die or change.

While this is true, it's also subjective. Your bad game may be what many other people wanted.

Right. And if lots of people continue to want DRM games, EA can continue to exist without me needing to care about them. It's the sentimental love/hate attachment I see on the internet that makes no sense. If they truly can't make a game you like there's no point getting upset.

I used to get upset that Nintendo stopped doing what was working (Wii/DS) but then I realized they were incapable of going back so I should just stop following them.

LostCat

Wed May 08, 2013 2:01 pm

Game_boy wrote:
I used to get upset that Nintendo stopped doing what was working (Wii/DS) but then I realized they were incapable of going back so I should just stop following them.

I had hoped the Wii U would put in a slightly better showing. I was planning to buy it, but...that's a gigantic mess.
Meow.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed May 08, 2013 6:39 pm

I play a lot less games than I used to because there are so few that I'm willing to spend money on. While I miss spending more time on my hobby it's not really my problem if most publishers don't want me to give them my money. Crowdfunding has shown that there's a significant number of people out there willing to pay for DRM-free stuff so hopefully there will be non sucky alternatives by later this year or early next.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed May 08, 2013 7:17 pm

NovusBogus wrote:
I play a lot less games than I used to because there are so few that I'm willing to spend money on. While I miss spending more time on my hobby it's not really my problem if most publishers don't want me to give them my money. Crowdfunding has shown that there's a significant number of people out there willing to pay for DRM-free stuff so hopefully there will be non sucky alternatives by later this year or early next.

So, basically, you don't play games?

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed May 08, 2013 7:26 pm

I play old games, and stuff from GOG that I missed the first time around. Plus there's still a few companies like Egosoft out there that respect their customers. Aside from that I've taken up golf and 3D object design to fill in the gaps.