Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

piecerad
Gerbil
Topic Author

dead system?

Wed May 08, 2013 6:04 am

Hi all,

mid-video playback last night my main system suddenly died with a popping sound through the speakers. I have tried disconnecting all peripherals, swapping out the GPU, PSU, and moved the RAM around in the slots (I don't have any spare DDR3 to test) and removing the Mobo battery. The system is mostly about 2 years old (i5 2500k, ASUS P8p67 pro, 8GB Corsair Vengence 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 128GB) powered by an older corsair HX650W and running a more recent HD7950 GPU. The CPU was overclocked but only to 4.5Ghz at 1.25v with an antec 620 keeping the temps below 60 degrees C. If I try to power the system up, the 'CPU LED' on the motherboard blinks very briefly but there's no other life in terms of fans, HDDS or lights. It seems to me that this means dead CPU, but I would still find that surprising given it's age. I anyone has any ideas or other ways of testing components such as Motherboard, CPU or PSU (which I am hesitant to try in another rig in case that was the problem and it kills my other machine as well), it would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Charlie.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: dead system?

Wed May 08, 2013 8:42 am

First thing I'd do is remove the CPU, check the pin area on both the mobo and CPU for dust, burn marks, etc. Then reseat the CPU and heatsink.

piecerad wrote:
moved the RAM around in the slots

"Moving RAM around" will rarely fix a memory problem, you need to eliminate the variables. If the system wont boot (aka you cant test the RAM), you should remove all but one stick, then replace that stick with another, then do the same in a different ram slot. Only one stick of RAM in the mobo at a time.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 08, 2013 8:50 am

I would suspect the PSU first. Do you have another one anywhere you can try?
I doubt your other hardware is damaged - the board and PSU both have their own protection which often saves components from a big power surge.

Failed Motherboard usually spins the fans with a good PSU, or at least shows LED lights in many cases
Failed CPU is really, really rare - especially when not overclocking very far - 1.25 volts is pretty close to spec.

Make sure you have a PC speaker plugged in. Anything apart from PSU or Motherboard faults will give you beep codes during POST
Last edited by Chrispy_ on Wed May 08, 2013 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

piecerad
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed May 08, 2013 8:52 am

DPete27 wrote:
First thing I'd do is remove the CPU, check the pin area on both the mobo and CPU for dust, burn marks, etc. Then reseat the CPU and heatsink.

piecerad wrote:
moved the RAM around in the slots

"Moving RAM around" will rarely fix a memory problem, you need to eliminate the variables. If the system wont boot (aka you cant test the RAM), you should remove all but one stick, then replace that stick with another, then do the same in a different ram slot. Only one stick of RAM in the mobo at a time.

That is basically what I meant, sorry for the lack of clarity. I have tried one stick at a time in each slot and then the same with the other stick. I had a similar problem with my other system (old 775 rig) a little over a month ago which turned out to be dead CPU when I got the chance to swap it out with a mate's. really hope my i5 hasn't bitten the dust, but I think its either that or the Mobo at this point, and neither is cheap to replace. I'll try checking the socket anyway,

Thanks again.

piecerad
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed May 08, 2013 8:57 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
I would suspect the PSU first. Do you have another one anywhere you can try?
I doubt your other hardware is damaged - the board and PSU both have their own protection which often saves components from a big power surge.

Failed Motherboard usually spins the fans with a good PSU, or at least shows LED lights in many cases
Failed CPU is really, really rare - especially when not overclocking very far - 1.25 volts is pretty close to spec.
Any other type of failure will cause beep codes, assuming there's a PC speaker. I actually though that board had an integrated speaker....

I have swapped out the PSU as it was my first suspicion, but same result. I agree that failed CPU is unlikely but its looking like its the only possibility at this point, but you have just reminded me that I never connected the Mobo speaker (foolishly), ill hook it up and try again.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 08, 2013 9:00 am

Beep codes here.

Apparently there should be a power LED too. If that's not coming on even with a second PSU, the motherboard is the prime suspect.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

piecerad
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed May 08, 2013 2:43 pm

Hi again,
I tried PSU in a really old board and it seems fine so that's ruled out. I also plugged in the speaker, but no sound is produced at all. However the big green power LED does still light when the PSU is switched on. Still no life in her tho. RMA time methinks.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Aye, power LED but no beeps and no POST = motherboard shenanigans.
GL