My how time flies

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

My how time flies

Postposted on Fri May 10, 2013 11:47 pm

Just going through the office and found an old credit card statement from 1993. On there was a computer purchase for a Tandy Sensation and SVGA monitor. Specs: 486SX, 107 MB harddrive, cd rom, soundcard, 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 drive. Price with tax was $3700. Then I take a look at my NCIX order that I put through today and it blows my mind.....

Image
Deanjo
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 am

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sat May 11, 2013 12:42 am

Coincidentally, I just watched the Jurassic Park 20th Anniversary edition Blu-Ray (original picture release date: 1993) with a few other engineer/CS/nerd-type friends, and we got a good horselaugh when revisiting the cutting-edge computer control systems. Overall the film's content has aged rather well, but there's just no way to disguise a spread of 1993-grade CRTs, or a graphical security system program that builds suspense by choking down to 3fps while rendering less detail than an Excel 3D bar graph.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5412
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sat May 11, 2013 12:49 am

Even STNG starts to look pretty dated in some episodes. Another good one to watch again is Lawnmower Man. I remember thinking "OMG look at those graphics" back then.


And speaking of dated CRT's....... why the f*** does NCIS still have CRT's on Gibbs and crews desks?
Deanjo
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 am

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sat May 11, 2013 12:57 am

Deanjo wrote:Even STNG starts to look pretty dated in some episodes. Another good one to watch again is Lawnmower Man. I remember thinking "OMG look at those graphics" back then.


And speaking of dated CRT's....... why the f*** does NCIS still have CRT's on Gibbs and crews desks?


Because it's written by 73 year old people who don't really know technology at all?
I.S.T.
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:18 am

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sat May 11, 2013 1:30 am

But yet CSI:NY had holographic autopsies nearly 8 years ago.....
Deanjo
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 am

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sat May 11, 2013 1:59 am

What annoys me is when Bones does anything related to computer technology. Anything.

Anything.

It's painful to watch them get it so, so wrong. Like terribly wrong. Like a Marmoset hopped up on PCP and Bath Salts would do a better job at portraying computing technology. Even NCIS is better and that's saying something(Regardless of your opinion of the show, it is very inaccurate when it comes to computing tech, though not as bad as Bones). All of this is coming from a major Bones fan.
I.S.T.
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:18 am

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sat May 11, 2013 2:17 am

My favorite is still the surface computer in CSI: Miami. Drop a flip phone onto the surface and instantly extract everything!

BTW I heart Miami. Horatio's a Badass.
GO CARDINALS!
Rakhmaninov3
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:10 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sat May 11, 2013 2:24 am

Rakhmaninov3 wrote:My favorite is still the surface computer in CSI: Miami. Drop a flip phone onto the surface and instantly extract everything!

BTW I heart Miami. Horatio's a Badass.



It works..... really...seriously.... ok I admit..... it's all BS. But DUDE, the shades can do ANYTHING!
Deanjo
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 am

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sat May 11, 2013 4:27 am

I just have to say Horatio's is the lamest Badass on earth. He needs to get replaced. Perhaps a hooker kills him buy beating him to death with her pocketbook or something in a going away episode...or better yet he goes or his gun and shoots himself in his femoral artery and bleeds out with one of his badass sayings like imm so bad no one could take me out but myself :D
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1114
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:03 pm
Location: philly suburbs

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sat May 11, 2013 9:37 am

vargis14 wrote:I just have to say Horatio's is the lamest Badass on earth. He needs to get replaced. Perhaps a hooker kills him buy beating him to death with her pocketbook or something in a going away episode...or better yet he goes or his gun and shoots himself in his femoral artery and bleeds out with one of his badass sayings like imm so bad no one could take me out but myself :D

... while putting his shades on! :lol:
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24297
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sat May 11, 2013 10:37 am

This thread has gone Horatio. That's... always a good thing.... yeaaahhh!
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sat May 11, 2013 10:47 am

Deanjo wrote:Just going through the office and found an old credit card statement from 1993. On there was a computer purchase for a Tandy Sensation and SVGA monitor. Specs: 486SX, 107 MB harddrive, cd rom, soundcard, 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 drive. Price with tax was $3700


I had one of those old Sensations when I was a kid. 486SX-25 (eventually replaced with a DX2-50 Overdrive), no 5.25" drive, 4MB of 80ns FPM DRAM upgradeable to 32MB of 72-pin SIMMs, onboard WD Paradise SVGA with 512K of RAM upgradeable to 1MB, onboard AdLib sound, built-in 2400 BPS modem/4800 BPS fax. IIRC (and I may not) it cost my parents $2k with the 14" monitor, in June of '93. This was back when CD-ROM drives were new and exotic - remember the Jeep computers in Jurassic Park?

That was my introduction to x86, MS-DOS, Windows, and a BBS.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:55 pm
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sat May 11, 2013 10:51 am

bthylafh wrote:
Deanjo wrote:Just going through the office and found an old credit card statement from 1993. On there was a computer purchase for a Tandy Sensation and SVGA monitor. Specs: 486SX, 107 MB harddrive, cd rom, soundcard, 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 drive. Price with tax was $3700


I had one of those old Sensations when I was a kid. 486SX-25 (eventually replaced with a DX2-50 Overdrive), no 5.25" drive, 4MB of 80ns FPM DRAM upgradeable to 32MB of 72-pin SIMMs, onboard WD Paradise SVGA with 512K of RAM upgradeable to 1MB, onboard AdLib sound, built-in 2400 BPS modem/4800 BPS fax. IIRC (and I may not) it cost my parents $2k with the 14" monitor, in June of '93. This was back when CD-ROM drives were new and exotic - remember the Jeep computers in Jurassic Park?

That was my introduction to x86, MS-DOS, Windows, and a BBS.


Ya I remember playing Wing Commander on that system.... good old days.
Deanjo
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 am

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sat May 11, 2013 10:52 am

Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:55 pm
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sat May 11, 2013 11:08 am

I.S.T. wrote:
Deanjo wrote:Even STNG starts to look pretty dated in some episodes. Another good one to watch again is Lawnmower Man. I remember thinking "OMG look at those graphics" back then.


And speaking of dated CRT's....... why the f*** does NCIS still have CRT's on Gibbs and crews desks?


Because it's written by 73 year old people who don't really know technology at all?


I like NCIS, but sometimes I get the feeling that the writers not only don't know technology, they actually despise it (for instance, see just about any episode where computer gaming is brought up).

Kind of weird for a show where the geeks so often end up saving the day.
Stargazer
Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sat May 11, 2013 11:11 am

I.S.T. wrote:What annoys me is when Bones does anything related to computer technology. Anything.

Anything.

It's painful to watch them get it so, so wrong. Like terribly wrong. Like a Marmoset hopped up on PCP and Bath Salts would do a better job at portraying computing technology.


You could replace "computer technology" with "science" and that'd work just about as well. :)

Bones can be kind of amusing though. An anthropologist deriding psychology for being a "soft" science... :)
Stargazer
Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:43 pm

I.S.T. wrote:What annoys me is when Bones does anything related to computer technology. Anything.

Anything.

It's painful to watch them get it so, so wrong. Like terribly wrong. Like a Marmoset hopped up on PCP and Bath Salts would do a better job at portraying computing technology. Even NCIS is better and that's saying something(Regardless of your opinion of the show, it is very inaccurate when it comes to computing tech, though not as bad as Bones). All of this is coming from a major Bones fan.


NCIS makes Hackers look realistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ
Nutmeg
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 917
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:37 pm
Location: The void which binds

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:09 pm

Nutmeg wrote:
NCIS makes Hackers look realistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ


Darn it! You beat me to it! When reading this thread my mind went straight to that clip.
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3068
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:05 pm
Location: In my secret cave that has bats

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:15 pm

ludi wrote:Coincidentally, I just watched the Jurassic Park 20th Anniversary edition Blu-Ray (original picture release date: 1993) with a few other engineer/CS/nerd-type friends, and we got a good horselaugh when revisiting the cutting-edge computer control systems. Overall the film's content has aged rather well, but there's just no way to disguise a spread of 1993-grade CRTs, or a graphical security system program that builds suspense by choking down to 3fps while rendering less detail than an Excel 3D bar graph.


It's a Unix system!
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3068
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:05 pm
Location: In my secret cave that has bats

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:56 pm

Has the entertainment industry *ever* managed to get computers right?
NovusBogus
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:37 am

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:13 pm

NovusBogus wrote:Has the entertainment industry *ever* managed to get computers right?


The Matrix perhaps? :lol:
Z68XP-UD4 | 2700K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB | 770 | PCP&C Silencer 950 | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | D5 + RP-452X2 | HAF 932 | 1 TB WD Black w/ SRT
Waco
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Waco wrote:
NovusBogus wrote:Has the entertainment industry *ever* managed to get computers right?


The Matrix perhaps? :lol:


The IT crowd? With the emailing...and double-clicking...http://youtu.be/NuPolrd9yuo?t=29s
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3068
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:05 pm
Location: In my secret cave that has bats

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:07 pm

Man I love the IT crowd. Story of my life. Turning stuff off and on is about 80% of my job.
EsotericLord
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: My how time flies

Postposted on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:03 pm

NovusBogus wrote:Has the entertainment industry *ever* managed to get computers right?

Note that these shows are on time constraints. They can't show you the boring stuff because there wouldn't be much time for the actual show.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Between desert and tundra


Return to General Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests