Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

*vitali*
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

[Solved] Corruption on Disk?

Mon May 20, 2013 5:14 pm

Hello, I have a Intel 335 240gb ssd.
I think I have a bad sector on it or something, when I try to move a certain large video file I get

Error 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

I tried running chkdsk /f, it did not find any errors.
I tried running the Intel SSD toolbox Full Diagnostic Scan, it did not find any errors.
I am also tried moving the file to different location using Defraggler, it succeeded without issues.

But the issue still persists. I have had a similar issue with another large file, and I think I never fixed it, but just deleted the file.

Anybody know what is up?
Last edited by *vitali* on Mon May 20, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morphine
TR Staff

Re: Corruption on Disk?

Mon May 20, 2013 5:33 pm

I had that issue, but with my Samsung 830. Work PC also had the same problem.

I was using Windows 8 at the time, and managed to pinpoint it to an interaction between Win8 and the Intel RST drivers (or just the Win8 version of such).

I eventually moved back to Windows 7 in my home PC, but what fixed it in the work PC was the following:

- Updating the motherboard's BIOS (really!)
- Updating the Intel INF/RST drivers to the latest versions.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

*vitali*
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2013 5:42 pm

Hmm, I figured out what was causing the issue.
A bug in a torrent client.
I was able to recover the file by moving it from drive to drive in Linux, which complained about errors but still kept on going.

morphine
TR Staff

Mon May 20, 2013 5:47 pm

*vitali* wrote:
I was able to recover the file by moving it from drive to drive in Linux, which complained about errors but still kept on going.

A regular program is not supposed to be able to corrupt a file at the filesystem level.

I wouldn't consider the issue fixed :(
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: [Solved] Corruption on Disk?

Mon May 20, 2013 6:40 pm

I would have tried using "unstoppable copier" first before trying to use UBCD or a linux boot disk to copy the file.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon May 20, 2013 6:41 pm

morphine wrote:
*vitali* wrote:

A regular program is not supposed to be able to corrupt a file at the filesystem level.

I wouldn't consider the issue fixed :(

Ditto. A misbehaving application should not be able to cause those types of errors. Odds are you've still got an underlying hardware problem or a buggy device driver.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

*vitali*
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2013 11:03 pm

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... en&ct=clnk
(link is dead but it google finds it)
According to that other people were experiencing the same problem. I think it's as solved as it's going to get, I just need to use different software.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 21, 2013 6:25 am

Based on some of the replies, it sounds like it may actually a bug in the way Windows handles large sparse files (i.e., files which have been explicitly allocated with "holes" in them). The torrent client just happens to be tripping over it.

sid1089
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue May 21, 2013 7:01 am

I've noticed this issue with usenet downloaders too - specifically when downloading ~20 gb files.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 21, 2013 8:09 am

sid1089 wrote:
I've noticed this issue with usenet downloaders too - specifically when downloading ~20 gb files.

That would be another data point which supports the "Windows sparse file handling bug" theory. Since multi-part Usenet posts often arrive out of order, I could easily imagine a Usenet downloader utilizing sparse files in the reassembly process.

An OS which allows unprivileged user applications to cause file system corruption has a bug by definition, whether or not the application has bugs of its own.