Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

south side sammy
Gerbil
Topic Author

xbox/physx

Thu May 23, 2013 2:15 pm

last time I looked AMD had the new consoles tucked under their wings. Then I read something somewhere about physx being enabled along with the APU on those consoles. Anybody pick up on that ?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: xbox/physx

Thu May 23, 2013 2:46 pm

Yes, the first result for "physx xbox" indicates that there will be PhysX on Xbox One. The first search result for "physx playstation 4" is a news article announcing the same for the PS4 back in March. Good going. Did you have anything else to add?

I'm sure someone will want to go down the road of "well if they can do it for an Xbox running a version of Windows with a Radeon-equipped APU why can't it do that on Windows PCs?" and I'll be the first to tell you, nVidia are jerks. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 23, 2013 3:05 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Yes, the first result for "physx xbox" indicates that there will be PhysX on Xbox One. The first search result for "physx playstation 4" is a news article announcing the same for the PS4 back in March. Good going. Did you have anything else to add?

I'm sure someone will want to go down the road of "well if they can do it for an Xbox running a version of Windows with a Radeon-equipped APU why can't it do that on Windows PCs?" and I'll be the first to tell you, nVidia are jerks. :lol:

Err, PhysX runs fine on an AMD equipped Windows PC. The hardware accelerated part doesn't, but it still works fine.

It also runs on the Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii. So PhysX running on new consoles is not really news.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX
Meow.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu May 23, 2013 4:24 pm

If you think the Xbox One or PS4 are going to be running Physx on their Jaguar-core CPUs, I think you are nutso. I'm positive that they'll be running on the GPU.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

LostCat

Fri May 24, 2013 5:41 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
If you think the Xbox One or PS4 are going to be running Physx on their Jaguar-core CPUs, I think you are nutso. I'm positive that they'll be running on the GPU.

I have no opinion. I have no idea how the PS3/X360 versions work so I have no frame of reference other than how they've treated AMD GPUs on PC.

I would guess entirely CPU if I had to, but it's all up to NV.
Meow.

Antimatter
Gerbil

Fri May 24, 2013 9:38 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

Savyg is not nusto. According to nVidia PhysX runs primarily on the CPU.

http://physxinfo.com/news/10531/nvidia- ... station-4/

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 24, 2013 10:43 am

Antimatter wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Savyg is not nusto. According to nVidia PhysX runs primarily on the CPU.

http://physxinfo.com/news/10531/nvidia- ... station-4/

And, even though it'll be on x86, multithreaded, and probably support modern architectural improvements...the PhysX you can download on your Windows PC will still be hobbled to the point of uselessness.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

LostCat

Fri May 24, 2013 11:05 am

Waco wrote:
And, even though it'll be on x86, multithreaded, and probably support modern architectural improvements...the PhysX you can download on your Windows PC will still be hobbled to the point of uselessness.

I think the 3.x SDK is actually properly coded.

Too bad so much stuff still uses 2.x :(
Meow.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 24, 2013 11:06 am

Properly coded for SMP running on the CPU only?
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

LostCat

Fri May 24, 2013 11:11 am

Waco wrote:
Properly coded for SMP running on the CPU only?

I can't really say. I recall reading it did clear up the x87 code usage but it's been a while since I looked into it.

(Oh, hell, it's in the Wiki I linked to. hah)
PhysX SDK 3.0 was released in May 2011 and represented a significant rewrite of the SDK, bringing improvements such as more efficient multithreading and a unified code base for all supported platforms
Meow.