Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

adampk17
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

What are you sporting at home for an office chair?

Thu May 23, 2013 3:54 pm

I have decided that I need a new office chair. I've been using my current office chair at home for, gosh, must be going on 7 or 8 years now, and it's showing it's age. The butt cushion is not nearly as comfy as it once was and it has some tears in the seams.

My budget is probably about $500. Got any recommendatons? What are you sitting in right now?
Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost.

Core i7-8086K | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 3200 | SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G| Corsair CX750M PSU

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: What are you sporting at home for an office chair?

Thu May 23, 2013 8:29 pm

adampk17 wrote:
I have decided that I need a new office chair. I've been using my current office chair at home for, gosh, must be going on 7 or 8 years now, and it's showing it's age. The butt cushion is not nearly as comfy as it once was and it has some tears in the seams.

My budget is probably about $500. Got any recommendatons? What are you sitting in right now?

Herman Miller Aeron. Probably outside your budget.... Worth every dime.

--SS

mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 23, 2013 8:47 pm

Aeron chair. I've had mine for 6-7 years and it's good as new. I expect it to last at least that much longer. Like SS says, it's worth every dime.
2600K @ 4.8GHz; XSPC Rasa/RX240/RX120 Phobya Xtreme 200; Asus P8Z68-V Pro; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 C9; 2x7970 OC w/ Razor 7970; Force GT 120GB; 3x F3 1TB; Corsair HX750; X-Fi Titanium; Corsair Obsidian 650D; Dell 2408WFP Rev. A01; 2x Dell U2412m

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu May 23, 2013 9:02 pm

Aeron. Got mine used for about $630 with delivery.

Get the flexible lumbar support - not the manually adjusted one - worth every penny.

Think of this as a long term investment. Don't go cheap.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu May 23, 2013 9:03 pm

This is pretty close to what I have. Like most cheaper chairs, the pad is comfortable but it doesn't breathe, at all. At work, we have Aerons...IMO they're somewhat overpriced relative to their build quality but they are definitely comfy. There are a couple downmarket models in the $500-600 range.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 23, 2013 10:43 pm

Cyco-Dude
Gerbil First Class

Thu May 23, 2013 11:46 pm

i've heard good things about dx racer chairs. the next time i'm in columbus i'll have to swing by and try them out for myself. my chair is older than yours, so it's past due for replacement.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri May 24, 2013 12:28 am

Some generic, leather office chair with wheels that you can pick-up from any office store.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 24, 2013 6:00 am

Just playing devils advocate, as it sit here in my 3-year-old, genuine HM Aeron chair......

Aerons are REALLY overpriced; previous post here.

With the office footing the bill for my Aeron I'm happy to recommend it as a high-quality, ergonomic and comfortable chair.
There is no way in hell I would ever pay for one myself. I can get as much (in some ways more) comfort from my chair at home and I had enough spare change to buy a 7950 and two 2560x1440p IPS screens.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Khali
Gerbil XP

Fri May 24, 2013 6:05 am

All I can say is wow at the price for the Aeron chairs. For almost $1000, with all the options included, the thing better come with anti gravity installed. If you order one off their website you have to wait at least a month to get it. I would need lots of convincing before taking the plunge for something like that.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri May 24, 2013 6:11 am

You can find bargain/ used HM Aerons on Craigslist and also used Office furniture/supply stores. I do have to stress that if you are going to get a Herman miller chair make sure you get one that is the right size. Most people dont know that Herman Miller chairs especially the Aeron's come in sizes.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 24, 2013 6:41 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Just playing devils advocate, as it sit here in my 3-year-old, genuine HM Aeron chair......

Aerons are REALLY overpriced; previous post here.

With the office footing the bill for my Aeron I'm happy to recommend it as a high-quality, ergonomic and comfortable chair.
There is no way in hell I would ever pay for one myself. I can get as much (in some ways more) comfort from my chair at home and I had enough spare change to buy a 7950 and two 2560x1440p IPS screens.

This. They just bought us all Herman Miller Aeron office chairs at work about a year ago.
And, while they are nice, I prefer my $150 generic office max chair at home for actual comfort.

The nice thing about the Herman Miller chairs, though, is that they are designed to be customized very well.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri May 24, 2013 7:22 am

Actually, my Aeron came with the free anti-gravity upgrade.

dmjifn
Gerbil First Class

Fri May 24, 2013 7:31 am

I bought a swopper for home use. I wound up taking it into the office in January this year, since I do most home computing from the couch. I've got a bad disc and am in front of a PC for more hours a day than in any other position. Ergos played heavily into my decision and I felt more swayed by the "active sitting" camp than the "support and comfort" camp. I'd recommend one if you want simple, novel, and active. If you want all-day comfort or are heavy, stay away from it.

keltor
Gerbil First Class

Fri May 24, 2013 9:17 am

Most chairs, including the Aerons, readily encourage you to develop bad posture and other back problems. Sit on the front half of your chair and keep your back straight. After the first couple of weeks it's 100% confortable and you feel like a million bucks. :)

I have a Windsor chair at home that I sit on and an Art Deco style chair that's mostly just Windsor turned Art Deco. Solid wood always seems to feel best for me. :)

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri May 24, 2013 5:25 pm

I've tried Aeron chairs several times in the past... Couldn't really find a comfortable position for myself, regardless of the size/model. Then my friend ordered a Ferrari 360 Daytona model, from www.racechairs.com, I tried it, it fit me pretty good, so I ordered it too, in black color. Still happy with it. Moral of the story is - try out different models by YOURSELF instead of blindly following subjective recommendations, see what YOUR body likes :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 24, 2013 10:08 pm

keltor wrote:
Most chairs, including the Aerons, readily encourage you to develop bad posture and other back problems.

What?
The things are customizable beyond belief. If anything, their downfall is that they try to force you into actually sitting up straight and having good posture, when I like to slouch.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri May 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Office bought us some halfway-decent HON high-back armed office chairs some 8 years ago. I liked the fit, so I bought one for home.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Sat May 25, 2013 7:43 am

JohnC wrote:
I've tried Aeron chairs several times in the past... Couldn't really find a comfortable position for myself, regardless of the size/model. Then my friend ordered a Ferrari 360 Daytona model, from http://www.racechairs.com, I tried it, it fit me pretty good, so I ordered it too, in black color. Still happy with it. Moral of the story is - try out different models by YOURSELF instead of blindly following subjective recommendations, see what YOUR body likes :wink:

WTH those chairs are 7K and up! :o
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

glacius555
Gerbil XP

Sat May 25, 2013 8:30 am

Fractal Design Arc Midi|Antec EA-650|Asus P7P55D Premium|Core i5-750|Gigabyte HD6950 unlocked|X-Fi XtremeMusic|24" Iiyama ProLite B2403WS|Logitech Z-5500|Logitech G11|Logitech G9x

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat May 25, 2013 9:17 am

What am I using as an office chair at home.... an... wait for it... office chair.

Got a good deal a bit more then 10 years back, had to exchange the seat once with a replacement, but since it was a real office chair the company had those readily available as spare parts.

http://www.damocles.nu/old_galleries/Ho ... 208000.jpg

peartart
Gerbil

Sat May 25, 2013 9:25 am

You should learn to stand. Sitting leads to dying.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 25, 2013 9:39 am

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 25, 2013 4:53 pm

tanker27 wrote:
JohnC wrote:
I've tried Aeron chairs several times in the past... Couldn't really find a comfortable position for myself, regardless of the size/model. Then my friend ordered a Ferrari 360 Daytona model, from http://www.racechairs.com, I tried it, it fit me pretty good, so I ordered it too, in black color. Still happy with it. Moral of the story is - try out different models by YOURSELF instead of blindly following subjective recommendations, see what YOUR body likes :wink:

WTH those chairs are 7K and up! :o

Yea... They are made out of real car seats and made very well. Cost of materials is obviously much less than that, but I don't want to make such seat all by myself or let some unknown person witn no experience in making such things to try and do it, so I find the final price pretty acceptable for a finished product and level of service from this company.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 25, 2013 6:34 pm

adampk17 wrote:
What are you sitting in right now?
Right NOW? Some awful crappy office chair at work. It's horrible in every conceivable way.

My chair at home is a glorious, massive early-1980s-era all-steel office rolly chair that I put new casters on and reupholstered. It was my dad's chair at his work that he brought home when he got a new one. Hehe.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Sat May 25, 2013 7:11 pm

JohnC wrote:

Yea... They are made out of real car seats and made very well. Cost of materials is obviously much less than that, but I don't want to make such seat all by myself or let some unknown person witn no experience in making such things to try and do it, so I find the final price pretty acceptable for a finished product and level of service from this company.

7K+, you find acceptable for a CHAIR!? That's just crazy. I spent 7k on a bathroom remodel and the return of investment was double that. I wish I had your money to burn.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 25, 2013 7:28 pm

Eh, the numbers are all relative - for some a $20k Toyota Camry might sound an "expensive" purchase, for others who earn slightly larger - an Aventador might be just a fun little toy to enjoy on weekends:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHrC_tIGWZ4&sns=em
even though you can remodel many, many bathrooms for the cost of one :wink:
(No, that is not my car...But I know its owner - an awesome guy and a great role model)

tanker27 wrote:
I wish I had your money to burn.

Meh... Money don't buy you happiness. Or personal health. So wish for these things instead :wink:

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 25, 2013 9:51 pm

JohnC wrote:
real car seats

Now you've got me thinking, and I like to think I'm sufficiently "handy" to make this work. Last week, I was actually looking through Amazon, Ikea and Herman Miller's web sites in search of a new chair and home-office setup. But, I probably should have been looking in car dealers (during "parts department" hours to check price and availability). I'm sure I could make something (even if only a stack of milk crates and a generous amount of duct tape) to stabilize a car seat and hold it at the right height.

As I think back, my favorite-ever car seat was totally fine for a 19 hour non-stop (not counting brief 'pit stops' and refueling breaks) drive half-way across the country. Too often, I do hacking/documenting sessions that long these days, but suffer for it. Then again, my back was ~30 years younger back then.

Forget this $10k stuff, how much could a whole brand-new mid-to-high-end car seat cost? I might even have enough left-over Watts from my PC's power supply to hook up the seat heating and air conditioning :lol:

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 25, 2013 10:02 pm

Well, start calling the parts department at your local official dealership, then :wink: Or check eBay for used ones... New seats will cost a lot, though, unless it's a nameless aftermarket clone of sports bucket seats (which aren't very comfortable for long sitting periods... But do look cool). Working cooling is an interesting idea and could actually work, especially with seats that use TEC elements, like some Lexus seats... These things would be pretty costly, though :wink:

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue May 28, 2013 4:24 pm

MarkG509 wrote:
JohnC wrote:
Forget this $10k stuff, how much could a whole brand-new mid-to-high-end car seat cost? I might even have enough left-over Watts from my PC's power supply to hook up the seat heating and air conditioning :lol:

Start with a scrap yard, you might get a high-end car seat for less than $500. The dealer will charge a whole lot more, assuming they even stock entire seat assemblies (some don't).
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration