Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

destroy.all.monsters
Gerbil
Topic Author

460 SE black screen

Sat May 25, 2013 5:30 am

Anyone else having this problem? Only happened since the new 318,20 driver. Can't tell if it's taking down the whole system or not as yet. Quite frustrating.
I have nothing against humanity that thousands of years of nuclear winter won't take care of.

TheBrominator
Gerbil In Training

Re: 460 SE black screen

Sat May 25, 2013 12:02 pm

If you mean it reverts to a black screen, does the dialog box pop up and say display driver has stopped working? Usually it's either a throttling or a clock speed issue.

Stock clocks?

destroy.all.monsters
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: 460 SE black screen

Sun May 26, 2013 3:34 am

No dialog box and in fact no video out from what I can tell. In one case I was playing World of Tanks, pressed escape to go back to the garage boom - black screen. Couldn't alt-tab or cntrl-alt-del and not a monitor problem (although this monitor is pretty old). Edited to add: yes stock clocks.

Getting system freezes as well now too. Doing virus scans just in case but have had zero problems with this box until installing the new Geofrce Experience and the new nvidia drivers. Alternative theory - PSU or mobo going south. Going to replace the psu Monday with one of my backup PSUs. Third theory - do a complete wipe of the graphics drivers and do a re-install (something I haven't had to do for ages).
I have nothing against humanity that thousands of years of nuclear winter won't take care of.