Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

tdsevern
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sudden Transfer Rate Drop

Sat May 25, 2013 11:07 pm

Running Windows 8 and transfering a larger video file (4-12GB) between two internal hard drives on my computer. Both are Spinpoint F1's each about half full. I am running into a problem where the transfer rate drops from 145MB/s to 5-10MB/s no matter what file I am transfering.

I did the same transfer from the source drive to my C drive (830ssd) and it stayed near 145MB/s for the whole file.

Any ideas?

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Sudden Transfer Rate Drop

Sat May 25, 2013 11:35 pm

Bad SATA cable quality or connection for destination drive? Maybe also check its SMART status with some app...

Oh, and... That screenshot looks interesting. Is it a legal "copy" of Modern Family? If not - you should use different screenshot :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sun May 26, 2013 12:16 am

Is either one badly fragmented? Error scans come up clean?
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun May 26, 2013 1:20 am

Try copying from the C: drive back to the source drive, and from C: to the (original) destination drive. If the slow writes consistently occur only on the one drive, then I would suspect an issue with that drive.

Check the drive's policy settings in Device Manager, and make sure Removal policy is set to "Better performance", and that Write-caching is enabled. Depending on how much RAM you've got, the symptoms could be consistent with the Windows file cache being enabled, but write caching on the drive itself being off.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

tdsevern
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun May 26, 2013 10:34 am

I think it may be related to Samsungs SSD Magician software. I am not able to run disk defrag. The service "defragsvc" is stopped in the task manager but its not even listed in services.msc so I cant figure out how to make sure its enabled. When I click on Defrag and Optimize Drives in administrative tools nothing happens.

I ran the performance benchmark in the Magician software and drive G which is having the problem was about 1/4 the performance of my other identical drive. I uninstalled the Magician software. After a bit of reading, it sounds like Windows 8 does a better job managing SSD's anyways. I also tried copying to/from various drives and drive G is the only one that has that issue.

BTW yes its a legal copy of Modern Family. I use WMC to record OTA HD...cable is expensive.

Any ideas how to get defrag working again?

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun May 26, 2013 10:45 am

In Windows 8 the defragsvc is called "Optimize drives" in the Services applet.

The "Startup type" should be set to Manual by default.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun May 26, 2013 1:00 pm

Does the drive use Advanced Format (or whatever Samsung calls it), and if so are your partitions properly aligned?

Did you check the policy settings like I suggested in my previous post?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.