dymt reloaded

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: dymt reloaded

Postposted on Wed May 08, 2013 6:36 pm

It was. Innards went everywhere. Grandpa had us do stuff like that partly to show us what the guns were capable of; he'd let us blow up frozen water jugs or old printers and then remind us that our bodies are a lot squishier than those and that a bullet wound would really, really suck.

But it meant we got to shoot cool stuff :D
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed May 08, 2013 9:20 pm

Someone sent my wife a link to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y4DbZivHCY

Edit: And speaking of completely random crap, some tangent from a news story I read led me on a half-hour Wikipedia link chase through baseball personalities whose names I vaguely remember from when I was a kid. Leo Durocher, Wilbur Wood, Gaylord Perry, and others. I don't even follow baseball any more (not that I was ever a huge fan, but these days I pretty much ignore it completely). Nostalgia is a weird thing. :lol:
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed May 15, 2013 3:38 pm

So...shredded prime rib, bacon, artichoke dip, cayenne honey sauce, and jalapenos on grilled panini. I will pay a terrible price for this foolishness.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed May 15, 2013 3:43 pm

Sounds yummy!
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed May 15, 2013 4:12 pm

just brew it! wrote:Sounds yummy!

Agreed. Next time the George Foreman comes out of the cupboard I'm there.

On the flip side, managed to disembowel a wild turkey at 75 MPH with the intercooler hood scoop of the car on the way to work this AM. First thought it was a really fat crow then noticed it wasn't gaining altitude like a crow. That prompted an "Oh ****, turkey" which promptly bounced off the hood, scoop, and windshield. Luckily there was no one too close behind me to collect the flying carcass. The heavy rain on the way home was very effective in removing most of the evidence. No real damage, just a trim piece and some clear-coat scratches to buff out. Won't even get insurance involved for this one. For critters defined as "big game" in Vermont's hunting rules guide, I now have 3 kills in car season.

Turkey were once extinct in Vermont. They were reintroduced mid-20th Century and now they're everywhere. If it had gone direct into the windshield it would most likely have broken it big time. Not enough to get through, but enough to make getting to the breakdown lane a wee challenge. Still wonder what a turkey was doing on the Interstate.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed May 15, 2013 4:46 pm

5 lbs red potatoes, roasted
1 package bacon
1 lb cheddar cheese
4 cans green chilis (2 hot, 2 mild)

mashed the potatos, blend in bacon and cheese, squish into thin layer. COver with more cheese. Roast until the cheese starts to brown.
So frigging good.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed May 15, 2013 4:53 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:5 lbs red potatoes, roasted
1 package bacon
1 lb cheddar cheese

mashed the potatos, blend in bacon and cheese, squish into thin layer. COver with more cheese. Roast until the cheese starts to brown.
So frigging good.

Make it 3 pounds of bacon and we have a deal.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed May 15, 2013 5:20 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:5 lbs red potatoes, roasted
1 package bacon
1 lb cheddar cheese

So frigging good.

Mmm....reminds me of creek fried, which I haven't had in forever...

Might have to make them soon with some extras.
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 16, 2013 10:34 pm

BP is back and there's nothing you can do about it... :evil:
BluePanda
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri May 17, 2013 2:55 pm

It was, indeed, delicious. Unfortunately, I was right about paying a terrible price.

Today I went with sushi and (unfried) spring rolls. Equally tasty and much safer.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Fri May 17, 2013 11:46 pm

Went hiking yesterday and today. Considered camping, but didn't prepare for it beforehand. It's good I didn't as I had to get a tire on my car patched, and I was able to process a lot of the pictures I took. Some beautiful overlooks from Old Rag Mountain yesterday, and some really pretty waterfalls in White Oak Canyon today. The roads getting there were also extremely fun. Pictures in the general photography thread.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count
lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Sat May 18, 2013 1:56 pm

Various movies that i believe should get more attention:
- The Jacket (2005);
- The Man from Earth (2007);
- Moon (2009);
- Take Shelter (2011).
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon May 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Hope any gerbils in the OK City area are, well, OK. That looks ugly.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue May 21, 2013 7:26 am

So my place was fine, but work apparently got hit. My workstation lost power at some point and not all network services are back up. I also have to prepare for a business trip tomorrow.

...It's going to be one of those days...
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed May 22, 2013 12:09 am

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/21/us/oklaho ... index.html

Holy crap. An elementary school all but leveled by the tornado, and everyone inside survived. Quick thinking, cool heads, and a healthy dose of good luck.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed May 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Now back to your previously scheduled programming.

Tech has changed a lot since I joined TR. I was reflecting on that today.
SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Thu May 23, 2013 12:20 pm

Going through the garage to dump stuff, clean stuff, and reorganize stuff.
I found 3 storage boxes full of empty jewel cases (for CDs, not jewelry). I don't think I need those :lol: 5 hours so far to empty it, start sorting, and start refilling. I'm kaput for a bit.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu May 23, 2013 5:43 pm

A full-scale X-wing built of Legos (at least on the outside, it does need steel innards for structural reasons).

http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/2013/0 ... ore-257466
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 23, 2013 9:05 pm

That is awesome Ned.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue May 28, 2013 9:55 am

First day back at work after the long weekend has been a giant ball of suck so far... and the morning is only half over.

1. Failed A/C in the server room.

2. Failed Internet uplink. (Turned out to be completely unrelated to #1, unless last night's thunderstorms killed both the A/C and our port on our ISP's router.)

3. I knocked a spinning external hard drive off the shelf it was on. D'oh! (We're still checking it to see whether it appears to have suffered any damage; its fall was cushioned by a rats' nest of cables, and it still spins up and mounts...)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue May 28, 2013 10:48 am

The whole building I work in (4 floors of offices and about ~40 offices) were without internet when I got in today. They said the ISP couldn't make it out until after noon.

Memorial day doomed more than just you JBI.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Tue May 28, 2013 11:06 am

At least our ISP is local. As in, located in the same building; it doesn't get much more local than that! So once we figured out the problem wasn't with any of our own equipment (we initially suspected an equipment failure on our end due to the A/C issue, it was *hot* in there this morning!), getting the ISP to check out their end of the connection was just a matter of going and knocking on their door.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed May 29, 2013 10:13 am

Been chasing a really weird gremlin the past couple of weeks. For some reason, the monitor would never go to screensaver or power off. I grepped the registry, made sure everything was right there, updated the video drivers, all to no avail. Sitting there last night I noticed that there was an extra device plugged into my USB hub. It was a small rechargable battery for the wife's hiking headlamp. I unplugged it and voila, 10 minutes later the screensaver launched and 5 minutes after that the monitor shut off.

For what earthly reason does a USB rechargable battery spawn some low-level process that keeps the OS from launching the screensaver???
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed May 29, 2013 10:27 am

I'll even take that one step further: In general, why does it seem like blanking the screen and putting the monitors into standby mode is rocket science, regardless of OS? This doesn't work consistently on my Ubuntu 12.04 box either. I'll have to watch in the future to see whether the bad behavior correlates with having particular USB devices plugged in.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed May 29, 2013 10:28 am

Probably meant to keep the OS from sleeping so that the battery will charge. My dad got an MP3 player, plugged it into his computer, and walked away waiting for it to charge before I came over to help him load it. 20 minutes after plugging in, the PC went to sleep for a few hours and when I got there, he had like a 15% charge on the MP3 player. Kind of dumb to prevent the screen saver/monitor sleep though.

And now I'm 34 minutes into waiting for one of our sales reps to show up so a conference call can start with a prospective client. No-showing a demo is bad form, sales dude.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed May 29, 2013 11:09 am

derFunkenstein wrote:Probably meant to keep the OS from sleeping so that the battery will charge. My dad got an MP3 player, plugged it into his computer, and walked away waiting for it to charge before I came over to help him load it. 20 minutes after plugging in, the PC went to sleep for a few hours and when I got there, he had like a 15% charge on the MP3 player. Kind of dumb to prevent the screen saver/monitor sleep though.

And now I'm 34 minutes into waiting for one of our sales reps to show up so a conference call can start with a prospective client. No-showing a demo is bad form, sales dude.

Hmm, the Droid dock and Zune have no issue charging, but then again I never let the box go into Sleep mode.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed May 29, 2013 11:45 am

Termination time?
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu May 30, 2013 3:11 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:

Termination time?

He showed up like 2 minutes later. Turns out he just told me the wrong time. The prospective client dialed in at the time he told them and he was there a few seconds later and instead of 10:00 it should have been 10:45. Not as bad as I originally thought but still a colossal waste of time.

In other news, I'm building a Trinity-powered A8 desktop for my wife. Her laptop is randomly rebooting, I replaced the hard drive because it had what it thinks are bad sectors (though it scans clean with Sea Tools when plugged into my PC) and I've run multiple passes of memtest86 and the memory passes them all. Anyway, it's a first-gen Core i3 350M so it's probably due for an upgrade. She doesn't take the computer anywhere so she's getting an mATX desktop with plenty of power to run The Sims and play on Pinterest.

I had to buy a monitor and instead of just buying a cheap 1080p monitor for her (she'll get my ASUS LED-backlit TN panel), I popped $20 extra and got one of those budget Dell IPS displays from Newegg, and the monitor arrived today. Just eye-popping color. Wowza. I knew the SAMOLED on my HTC One S looked nice, but this puts everything I've ever used to shame. After a couple hours, I'm a believer.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 30, 2013 10:28 pm

just brew it! wrote:Can't believe this didn't get mentioned shortly after it started. Can't believe *I* didn't mention it at some point, I guess I've been slacking off.

For over a month now, there's been an XKCD comic where the picture changes once per hour (originally the updates came every 30 minutes). [snip]

FWIW, over 2 months later it is still updating.

The site that lets you view them in sequence/pause/reverse/etc. is still up as well: http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:51 pm

Stupid Heat. Wish the Pacers could have pulled this one out.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch