Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

13-0-3

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:11 am

I never in a million years thought that the Blackhawks would be playing so well. I'm still pessimistic though - after a start like this, anything less than a Cup would be a letdown.

What say you about YOUR team?
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: 13-0-3

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:15 am

idchafee wrote:
I never in a million years thought that the Blackhawks would be playing so well. I'm still pessimistic though - after a start like this, anything less than a Cup would be a letdown.

What say you about YOUR team?

Hmm, Hossa got his bell "rung" (i.e. caved in). My team is 7-9-1 and going nowhere fast due to its long-standing inability to find a goalie (as in 20+ years of searching).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:37 pm

My team is in Buffalo, doesn't that say it all?
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:39 pm

rogue426 wrote:

At least you're looking for a new coach.

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:06 pm

My team is the 'Jackets. We always suck, and it's depressing. Doesn't help playing in the same division as Chicago and Detroit, though.
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:53 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
rogue426 wrote:

At least you're looking for a new coach.

I'm pretty sure the last time I watched them play was when Hassik was still their goalie and Satan was still on the team.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,

EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Vancouver's record isn't bad (8-3-4) but their play against Chicago shows a lot of weaknesses. Chicago was all over them the entire game.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:58 pm

The wings (my faves obv.) beat the hawks up pretty good for 3 periods but couldn't solve crawford ultimately, we own one of those 3 ;)

They're skilled on offense and really thin on D. Rumor mill says maybe trading Filppula for Yandle - but no one wants a rental since he's an UFA next year. We need D badly. We get Franzen and Howard back Soon (tm).

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:11 pm

And I'm stuck with Ilya Bryzgalov. Ron Hextall was better.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:40 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Ron Hextall was better.
He won the Conn-Smythe trophy and the Vezina trophy when he played for the Flyers in the 80s.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:23 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Ron Hextall was better.
He won the Conn-Smythe trophy and the Vezina trophy when he played for the Flyers in the 80s.

And never won a Cup due to his ability to let in the winning goal in the last minute of the 3rd.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:41 am

33 of 36 possible points. If this is a dream don't wake me up
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:44 am

Hey what time is it in Vancouver? EIGHT PAST LUONGO. WOOOOO!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:45 am

Captain Ned wrote:
And I'm stuck with Ilya Bryzgalov. Ron Hextall was better.

Ew. you're a flyers fan? Gross.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:59 am

My team is the Sens.

Let's see...
We lost the 4th highest point getter last year and one of the league's top face-off men (Jason Spezza - out for year)
We lost the teams first leading scorer and one of the league's top goal scorers last year (Milan Michalek - should be back soon)
We lost last year's Norris Trophy winner and our best defenseman (Erik Karlsson - out for year)
We lost arguably our number 2 defense man (Jared Cowan - out for year)
We lost the league's arguable best goaltender so far this year (Graig Anderson - should be back soon)

In the most recent game we played, we had 10 (TEN!) call-ups from the AHL. Yet we're still finding a way to win.

Oh, and a big Congrats to Chicago!
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:22 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
My team is the Sens.

Let's see...
We lost the 4th highest point getter last year and one of the league's top face-off men (Jason Spezza - out for year)
We lost the teams first leading scorer and one of the league's top goal scorers last year (Milan Michalek - should be back soon)
We lost last year's Norris Trophy winner and our best defenseman (Erik Karlsson - out for year)
We lost arguably our number 2 defense man (Jared Cowan - out for year)
We lost the league's arguable best goaltender so far this year (Graig Anderson - should be back soon)

In the most recent game we played, we had 10 (TEN!) call-ups from the AHL. Yet we're still finding a way to win.

Oh, and a big Congrats to Chicago!

I was at the game where Karlsson had his achilles severed. It didn't look like much during play but he didn't put his foot down at all skating towards the tunnel. Tough luck with all those other injuries, at least you'll get a healthy look at the prospects and the guys waiting in the wings. The Wings (my team) have had a lot of bad luck with injuries too and the guys they've called up have been nothing short of amazing. Tatar is incredible, Lashoff is strong and smart, Andersson played well yesterday with 2 goals and the entire offense is just playing well. Their defense is OK but that's also where lots of injuries are. We should get Bertuzzi and Franzen back soon enough, but that 5 game skid really hurt. Also, Brunner is the real deal, a pure goal scorer who can play defense like Datsyuk. I'm so excited for him.

After the realignment it looks like the wings will be playing in Boston's division. Which means more games at the Console Energy Center to drink delicious Crosby tears. I'd love to see more of their games and see them more well rested instead of the traveling they do now.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:24 pm

Oh the Wings. Stomped my team *sigh*

I laughed a bit when some people were saying "WILL THIS BE THE YEAR THE WINGS WILL FINALLY MISS THE PLAYOFFS?"

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:40 pm

[quote="steelcity_ballin]
After the realignment it looks like the wings will be playing in Boston's division.[/quote]

I'm excited. I'll get to see the Red Wings more (they only come to Ottawa once every 2 years it seems) and a whole lot less of Florida.

[quote="steelcity_ballin] I'd love to see more of their games and see them more well rested instead of the traveling they do now.[/quote]
How do you think Winnipeg feels?

I'm really excited about the re-alignment.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:00 am

The Wings could still miss the playoffs, there's a lot of regular season left and they play in a very tough division. They don't yet have the markings of a cup caliber team IMO but I think if their offense continues to perform they'll take 2/3 games most times which should get them in. injuries are still a big concern for them and their defense is meh.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:52 am

Captain Ned wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Ron Hextall was better.

And never won a Cup due to his ability to let in the winning goal in the last minute of the 3rd.

He was a right thug, it was great! And I think he's the leading goal-scorer for goalies with 2, right? Though I'm a Penns fan so he can suck it.

I kinda wrote off this season just like the last lockout. Last lockout was during Lemieux's return and that just royally pissed me off. Heck at one point he was averaging 2 points a game! /swoon

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri May 31, 2013 10:00 am

This Red Wings fan is now rooting for the Hawks to go all the way :)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri May 31, 2013 10:04 am

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
This Red Wings fan is now rooting for the Hawks to go all the way :)

I'm hoping for the Bruins, but getting past the Pens is going to be tough. At this point, given the work life of the past 2-3 weeks, I'll be happy not to fall asleep during the 1st intermission.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri May 31, 2013 10:17 am

Oh believe me, I'm rooting for the Bruins to beat the Pens.
The Pens used to be my 2nd favorite team, back in the Super Mario and Jagr days.
But now they and Sidney are a rival we in Detroit love to hate :D

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri May 31, 2013 10:27 am

I was heart broken to see the Wings lose but they exceeded my expectations in A) Making the playoffs and B) Beating the Ducks and then going to a game 7 OT loss with the Hawks. I'm rooting for the Pens now (home town 'n at). I think the Hawks will handle the kings who are grinding but rather boring and 1 dimensional. We'll see. I think the Pens win in 6 against the B's as long as they can keep from retaliating against players like Marchant who are known agitators. Should be good series, I'm hoping for a Hawks/Pens final. I don't think Doughty and Scuderi can shutdown Toews, Sharp, and Kane let alone Shaw, Bickell, and Saad. I DO however think that Seabrook and Keith can shut down Kopitar, Penner, Brown, Stoll and company. However, they do look to be in good form this post season and are playing like a team that knows they can win. Should be a fun series to watch, that shark series was booooooooring. ZZZzzzzzz.

Take heart Frobozz, the Wings have lots to look forward to with some amazingly talented young players, as well as those who haven't really been given a chance to shine (DeKeyser, Tatar, Lashoff, and Oullet who I am REALLY excited to see come up). Howard played like a beast and carried the games all year long, major props to him in front of that porous D. They also got some really good playoff experience (2 game sevens for 5 rookies? wow!). Keep in mind too that Bert was out and helm hasn't played in ages. I'd like to see Bert retire, it's time. Sammy too, even before injuries he wasn't contributing at all, he's just washed up IMO. Abdelkator is developing into a crazy good two way player who reminds me of Maltby a bit with more grit. It's been a pleasure watching the Wings over the years, and things look very bright indeed. I don't even expect Holland to make any real trades/deals over the summer either, don't really need to as the development of existing players has exceeded expectations IMO. That third line is going to be sooooo good in 1-2 years.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Fri May 31, 2013 10:47 am

Flyers fan here,
I clearly remember my heart breaking when lindberg did his harvy wallbanger in his porsche. He was the best goalie I ever saw play in person...on top of that he was small.
Then Bob Frose had the best season of his career after that but we lost to Edmonton and gretsky and messier...cannot forget the great gameplay by grant furer.
The mid 80's were a great time for the flyers.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 31, 2013 11:23 am

Well, the Pens trounced my Sens. The Pens just played such an amazing game, tape-to-tape passes and every shot seemed like a scoring chance. The Sens had a lot of turn-overs, missed passes, lost battles in the corner and a lot of shots from outside the box. Oh well, like our coach said, I hope they don't charge us for the clinic!

Now I cheer for my second favorite team, the Pens! Hahaha.

I liked the Penguins before Ottawa had a team and Crosby grew up less than hour from me. And I really want Iggy to win the cup. He deserves it after being stuck on such a horrible team as Calgary for so long.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri May 31, 2013 11:48 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
And I really want Iggy to win the cup. He deserves it after being stuck on such a horrible team as Calgary for so long.

The Ray Bourque half-Bruin/half-Avalanche jersey is still a common sight in VT.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri May 31, 2013 6:15 pm

I have no dog in this fight -- or in the Cup at all at this point -- but the 3rd period of the Sharks-Kings game was awesome. Quick was playing out of his mind.
Sargent Duck wrote:
And I really want Iggy to win the cup. He deserves it after being stuck on such a horrible team as Calgary for so long.
Yeah, I can go along with this even if it means I have to hold my nose and cheer for Pitts. It's how I found myself cheering for Texas in the World Series, just because of Beltre.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri May 31, 2013 6:17 pm

Also, I'll just leave this here (apologies to the 'wings fans):

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:41 pm

Dear God did the Bruins just take the Pens to the woodshed tonight. Looking like an Original Six Cup for sure as neither LA nor Pittsburgh have yet put together 10 good minutes in 2 games.