Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

PLACASSE
Gerbil In Training

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:26 pm

I happened upon this forum while trying to find an authorized service center for my LSN4051. It has been sitting idle on my kitchen table for 3 years. What a great site/forum!!! I read on how to fix the problem with the caps, opened the back of the TV and found the 4 caps in question, and yes, they are bulging and leaking. After reading some of the posts and finding some folks had trouble initiating the repair, I decided to read on. Then I found the posts referring to the class action against Samsung for this very problem. I read the report and decided to call Samsung at the number listed. They are sending a service person out in a few days to fix the problem AT NO COST!!!! Thank you so much to all the folks who post here. This is a life saver. I bought a new Samsung 52" LCD (for $1400.00), but it will be nice to have this set fixed and in the den as a spare. Thanks again!!!

wkearney99
Gerbil In Training

Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:41 am

I did just the four typically recommended and it didn't entirely solve the problem. So I went back and did the remaining two. Now the set is working fine. No longer taking forever to power up, and no longer losing video when it's been on for a while.

Gotta love a $12 fix instead of trashing the TV!

Thanks for the info folks!

de3bis
Gerbil In Training

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:39 pm

You saved me people !!

I just have one comment, when i opened my Samsung LCD and checked the power card the capacitors look physically fine? , no plug? , no black liquid?
However and because my LCD wont power on I changed all five capacitors, and it works like a charm !!

WherEmEweeD
Gerbil In Training

Samsung 46" LCD TV No picture!

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:05 am

Hey guys my Samsung tv is being funny with me by allowing sound but no picture.

Could this be something serious or would it be a simple.

I'm open to suggestions on testing it further etc.
Model code: LE46M53BDX/XEU

Cheers in advance for any help :D

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Samsung 46" LCD TV No picture!

Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:50 am

Assuming you can't even get an on-screen display, it's likely to be blown capacitors (a pretty common fault for these).
There's a forum thread about it somewhere around here that will probably show up in a search.

You also want to read this too!
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Samsung 46" LCD TV No picture!

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:09 am

Merged into main Samsung TV thread.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

tartan_terror
Gerbil In Training

Samsung 40" LCD TV (LA40B530P7XXA) problem

Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:12 am

Hi, can anyone give guidance?

My Samsung 40" LCD TV (LA40B530P7RXXA) intermittently changes input source without any command to do so. Using the remote or buttons it is possible to reselect the ensured input source, but the source only remains selected for a temporary period lasting anything from a few seconds to up to 15 minutes.

This problem suddenly started yesterday after many years of problem-free enjoyment. Our domestic cleaner (who is technologically un-educated) was in yesterday and I was wondering if she may have accidentally pressed some buttons that could have invoked some demo mode or something similar? The erratic timing of this problem however suggests some other cause.

Can anyone advise?
Tartan_Terror

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Samsung 40" LCD TV (LA40B530P7XXA) problem

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:11 am

Merged into main Samsung thread.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

smmithjjohn
Gerbil In Training

Thu May 23, 2013 6:02 am

I noticed this issue when I'm trying to watch a movie with 3d subtitle and this required me to use the .ass subtitle format, which required using transcoding.

Markali
Gerbil In Training

Thu May 30, 2013 3:14 pm

spagzone wrote:
Anyone have problems with controls on side of TV after replacing power board.
Replaced mine twice, after 2nd time the tv controls no longer functioned, along with the remote.
Sound is slightly low, and cant volume up or down. As is power on off button.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS...The 2 times I replaced board, I only swapped 2 capacitors to the next higher voltage.
I'm thinking of swiping all 5 to see if that solves control problems.

Thanks again

Ross

I'd the same problem dude. But I took my monitor for warranty and they fixed it :-)
If you have warranty then you must take it to them , they should fix it without any cost.

rcb8dboy
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:05 am

hello

I have another problem with my lcd.
no blown capasitors ,i have sound and image but no backlight.
In the darks i see some movement en sometimes some subtitels.
i'm hotwiring the 5v like say here but no backlight.
So i removed the tcon board and see a liltle brown spot on de other side of the board on the maxim ic.
Could this be the problem of the faillure of the backlight or have the t-con board nothing to do with the backlight?
If so where can i find a cheap t-con board?

grts ,

lovelyhead
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:15 am

Hi,

Another newb with a TV problem! I have read a lot of this thread but haven't come across a solution to my problem.

I have a Samsung TV that will power up and display a picture but after a short while the TV switches off again. The power supply inside the TV makes a buzzing, crackling noise which get louder until the TV turns off. I opened the back of the TV and confirm the buzzing is definitely coming from the power supply. If I leave the TV on the black "No Signal" screen it will stay on for about a minute. If I put a white static image on, the TV almost instantly switches off. I bought a replacement power supply from eBay but it didn't fix the problem. It could be that the replacement power supply is also faulty as it makes the same sort of buzzing noise.

So what do you guys think? Is there something else I should be looking at? Or do you think the replacement power supply is a dud too?

I would really appreciate any advice given.

Thank you.

michael_d
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:58 pm

lovelyhead wrote:
Hi,

Another newb with a TV problem! I have read a lot of this thread but haven't come across a solution to my problem.

I have a Samsung TV that will power up and display a picture but after a short while the TV switches off again. The power supply inside the TV makes a buzzing, crackling noise which get louder until the TV turns off. I opened the back of the TV and confirm the buzzing is definitely coming from the power supply. If I leave the TV on the black "No Signal" screen it will stay on for about a minute. If I put a white static image on, the TV almost instantly switches off. I bought a replacement power supply from eBay but it didn't fix the problem. It could be that the replacement power supply is also faulty as it makes the same sort of buzzing noise.

So what do you guys think? Is there something else I should be looking at? Or do you think the replacement power supply is a dud too?

I would really appreciate any advice given.

Thank you.

I would contact local Samsung retailer where the unit has been purchased and request a referral to a qualified tech. I had power supply problem almost 5 years ago once it was replaced by a tech who knew what he was doing it has been working flawlessly until this day. If your unit is out warranty and I suspect it is Samsung retailer may actually decline to provide a certified/qualified tech believe or not. They declined me even though I said that I would pay out of my pocket. I just grabbed a newspaper and found a TV repair dude in classified section he actually did a decent job.

Good luck.

WebHobbit
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:13 am

Thought I would post this here since this thing is 33 pages long it is easily missed:

Class Action settlement Page:

http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsettlement/

number:

1- 888-899-7602

I just called and got the ball rolling to get my free repair on my 2008 model LN40A550

vajra
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:43 am

Hello!

I have replaced my power supply board and main board on my Samsung LN-T4669f TV and checked all the connectors to make sure there seated well. my TV will come on fine then after about 15 minutes the picture will start flashing around screen, then lines on screen, then the TV will turn off or sometimes display a green garbled screen, backlight appears to work fine, have a frame rate board coming in mail to replace but do not think it will fix problem. Problem started with the old capacitator problem then got progressively worst. When I first had the power off, clicking problem I had to leave my TV on for a month so I could watch TV. It would take sometimes a day for it to turn on. Then it stopped turning on completely until I replaced the power board so I think I screwed something else up. UPDATE:I put a frame rate board in TV and low and behold it worked. Now have a TV, it cost about $120 for all 3 boards on EBay.

JOAT
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:45 pm

Hello,
There are quite e few capacitors on the PS board of LA46F81BD, can someone please advise which capacitors need to be replaced?
Many thanks :-?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:26 am

JOAT wrote:
Hello,
There are quite e few capacitors on the PS board of LA46F81BD, can someone please advise which capacitors need to be replaced?
Many thanks :-?

The bulging or leaking ones.

any number of these pics show you what to look for
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Will
Gerbil In Training

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:45 am

Hi,

We found the clicking/not turning on problem too - we have replaced the two 2200uF capacitors as suggested as these had blown. All the others appear to be fine - however the issue persists. Relay is clicking on and off, red LED on the front is still blinking.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on things to try? We don't have a receipt so can't contact Samsung for a repair and it seems silly to pay £100+ for a repair on a TV this age.

Many thanks,
Will.

Dimwit
Gerbil In Training

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:50 am

I have the same on off cycle problem. I changed the capacitors even though they looked fine. TV worked for a day, then the problem started again.
This time I changed the Whole PSU, again TV worked for a day, and the on/off cycle started again.
Any furthest suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:10 am

Dimwit wrote:
This time I changed the Whole PSU, again TV worked for a day, and the on/off cycle started again.
Any furthest suggestions would be great!

Unless you know for sure what the exact problem is, and that spending your time and money on repairs will definitely fix it for the long-term, just cut your losses and junk it.

TV's are made out of very cheap parts, but replacing some of them (because they're bespoke) costs an arm and a leg.
Just buy another cheap TV before the root defect causing all your caps to blow costs you more than the a whole new TV.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Dimwit
Gerbil In Training

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:52 am

I think you are most probably right! Shame though it is!

ElleMag
Gerbil In Training

Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:30 am

Know my parents had a simular issue, we all had a look at it and looks like had similar conclusion in the thread.
Couldn't get it sorted unfortunately. Next time i went round they had it all done, but had sent it to some repair center i hadnt heard of before.
Dont remember them complaining about the price, but sometimes these places stock alot of the components.
Might be worth a quote

krieken
Gerbil In Training

Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:59 pm

I have a Samsung LE32R84x/xec with the panel BN07-00384 (V315B1-L01.
My standby light was blinking
In my power supply there where serveral bad capacitors.
I changed them for new ones.
My standby light was still blinking.
I tried to use the eeprom reset, but the set don’t start up after info-menu-mute-power.
I tried it several times without success.
Then I tried it with disconnect the connection between the logic board and the panel. I tried again to use the eeprom reset, but now the set start up after info-menu-mute-power.
The tv startup, the backlight goes on, and I tried without see anything to reset the tv in the service menu. I pushed the down button 11 times, and then the right button. The TV reboot direct and comes back in the standby modes. (so in my opinion the TV was in the servicemenu)
But this was not enough to bring my TV to live.
Is it possible that in the service menu now the wrong vendor or type of the panel is and that that the reason is that my TV don’t start up ? How is it possible to change this to the correct value without seeing the menu ?

W_D
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:59 am

turboroe wrote:
Samsung LCD TV Clicking or Not turning on walkthrough:
(...)

1. Short out the eeprom pins 5 & 6 ( the two pins that connect to resistors ).
The easiest way is to carefully solder a thin wire (about 6" length) to each of the 2
little round pre-soldered pads that lie in front of pins 5 and 6 and use the wires
as a contact breaker to easily shorten the pins.
2. Turn on the power - Instead of the usual noticeable relay click, you get a faint click,
the backlight stays off, nothing else happens.
3. Wait around 1-2 secs ( anything longer than this NEVER seemed to work ).
4. Remove the short.
Note: by now the TV is already in normal standby operation, but EEPROM values are still bugged.
5. Press the service mode key combination on the remote control.
Note: check service manual for the correct combination or try the following:
* info, menu, mute, power on) - In that order individually, one at a time.
* mute, 1, 8, 2, power on) - In that order individually, one at a time.
6. TV should come on with noise picture and then the service menu (press Source if it is difficult to read)
-----------------------------------------------------

7. Immediately go to option Adjust and turn OFF the watchdogs
(especially in case your TV keeps turning off by itself at this point)

Hi ! :)

..my tv was turning on and off, so I had to reset the EEPROM too (the capacitors on the power board were fine)
But first of all, this is my TV: www(DOT)samsung(DOT)com/br/consumer/tv-audio-video/tv/led-tv/UN40D5500RGXZD-support

I followed Turboroe's steps without much problems, until I got in step "6". As the step says, my tv came with a noise picture.. but the service menu never appeared. I tried pressing Source, but I never was able to change the noise screen or make the service menu shows up (tried this with and without input cables connected to the tv, to see if I could change to one of those other sources).
Maybe the service menu was actually opened there...just not being visible (since the noise screen showed up after doing the code for the service menu on my controller)

After some minutes, the tv turns off (not the same as the on off problem, cause on that case, the tv would turn on and off between a fell seconds). It stays at standby... not turning on by itself at all. But if I try doing the service menu code on this point ( or turning the tv on), it starts the On Off problem again.
It probably happens cause the EEPROM was not rewritten yet..

So I needed some help so I could rewrite the EEPROM ...could I do something here? ...maybe there's some way for me to see the service menu, so I could perform the step "7" of Turboroe's guide, and so, be able to turn OFF the watchdogs ??

Hope someone can give me some tips about this..

Thanks in advance

W_D
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:04 am

There's nobody able to give me some help about the issue described above?

W_D
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:49 am

pff u.u

is this forum dead or something??

Hyu
Gerbil In Training

Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:25 am

Very simple, easy to replace. look for two capacitors in power module that are felted on the top and change it. Easy to by on neighbourhood, 10V 1000 mF. The people are changing by a 18V (I really don´t know) 10V solve my problem. In Brazil: about US$10.00 for 6 pairs of capacitors. Don´t trash your monitor and Good look!

caiazpa
Gerbil In Training

Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:40 pm

Hi all, new to this board.
I, like everyone here, have a defective Samsung LCD television. Mine is an LN52B550K1FXZA. I purchased mine in 2010, and began experiencing the problems documented here in 2012. I had the Television repaired under warranty by Samsung at that time. I had done some basic research regarding the problem, and during troubleshooting I had noticed that by pressing on a certain part of the back cover while in operation, I could make the problem go away. Odd. Anyway, the repairmen replaced the power board and I was happy, for a time.

The problem recently cropped back up, and I don't really feel like buying a new TV to replace this one if the problem truly relates to $6 of capacitors. So, like most of you, I bought some capacitors on Amazon, took my tv caseback off and pulled off the power board.

Unfortunately (?), when I view my capacitors, I can't see any which have the trademark 'bulge' or any leaking electrolytic fluid. I know the 10v caps are typically the problem and there are two of them on this board, which definitely happen to be proximal to the area I would press down on to get the TV working while assembled.

I'd like some guidance, if you can give it. I've uploaded some pics of my board. I have caps here to replace all of these, but if the 10v ones are usually the only problematic components, I'd prefer to just replace them. Can you take a look and tell me if I'm overlooking some telltale sign of failure? Failing that, would you simply elect to replace both of the 10v capacitors which seem to be so failure prone?

Many thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:00 pm

You already have the board out. I think you should replace all the caps. Hopefully that's all the problem is.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

kwogin
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I am having problems with my Samsung LN32B650T1FXZA. The TV turns on, but I get no backlight. The sound works, and I can see the picture is there faintly. I took the back panel off, and I don't see any bulging capacitors. There are four 10v 2200uF and two 25v 1000uF capacitors on here. Should I replace these anyways?

I do see that the inverter transformer looks burnt. Could this cause my issue with no backlight? Is this part easily replaceable? I see that the part is about $10 on ebay.
Thanks for the help!