Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

BF4 Multiplayer preview

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:39 pm

BF4 Multiplayer looked pretty awesome. Can't wait till it comes out. Looks very polished, be interesting to see what changes.
http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield-4?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=bf_bf4-fb-na-e3-multiplayerlong&sourceid=bf_bf4-fb-na-e3-multiplayerlong
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: BF4 Multiplayer preview

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:47 pm

I'm looking forward to it. It'll release right about when BF3 starts to actually get boring.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:49 pm

I just gotta decide if I want it for PC or X1. I'd prefer to use a mouse and I'd prefer to play with my friend, but I don't like PC much at the moment.
Meow.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:57 pm

Looks like a slightly larger maps from BF3 :wink:
Oh, and I wonder what kind of "faux protection" they will implement this time against AA frameworks and such :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:59 pm

For me I'm not a console gamer... I hate the controller. Besides, my current machine will run BF3 on the highest settings (2 msaa not 4) and it looks and plays beautiful. If BF4 needs more to run I'll drop a second GTX660 in it and frag away.
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:05 pm

Pville_Piper wrote:
For me I'm not a console gamer... I hate the controller. Besides, my current machine will run BF3 on the highest settings (2 msaa not 4) and it looks and plays beautiful. If BF4 needs more to run I'll drop a second GTX660 in it and frag away.

One feature I'd hope for (but not hold my breath): the ability to natively map a console controller and a joystick at the same time. Nothing beats a controller for helicopters, and nothing beats a joystick for jets.

And nothing beats a mouse and keyboard for an FPS :).

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:51 am

This game looks better then the current, and while I'm currently stuck on warframe, I should happily be colonel 100 after my vacation in bf3 so should be perfect to switch to the next one.

After 875 hours of gametime in bf3, what can I say, bf owns me. Nothing compares as a current day military shooter for the sheer overall fun.

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Aphasia wrote:
After 875 hours of gametime in bf3, what can I say, bf owns me. Nothing compares as a current day military shooter for the sheer overall fun.

I've got in 540 now and I agree. Lots of choices to play as well. My all time favorite FPS... Till BF4 comes out that is! :wink:

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm only 140 hours in, but I love it! Not quite ready for the next one though.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:54 pm

I can't believe I have 720 hours in BF3. Certainly didn't do it all at once, and I'm still not up to 100 (or is it 145? :)). Might get there by the BF4 Beta; will definitely have to focus on points, though. Lots of Metro as a Soldier, anyone?

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Lots of Metro as a Soldier, anyone?

LOL, my friend loves that map... And those 1000 kill servers! I'm only up to 50 or 51 but I play mostly SQDM or TDM. I like Karkand maps and the first set when it comes to Conquest.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Pville_Piper wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
Lots of Metro as a Soldier, anyone?

LOL, my friend loves that map... And those 1000 kill servers! I'm only up to 50 or 51 but I play mostly SQDM or TDM. I like Karkand maps and the first set when it comes to Conquest.

I'm really liking CTF, for whatever reason- it's the first game where I've preferred this mode. Also, sniping people off bikes. I'd missed that.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:28 pm

Looks exactly like BF3 but in a shiny city instead of bombed-out arabic location. These guys are almost as bad as COD milking their customers with bi-yearly releases and 5 different $15 DLC packs. YAWN.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Prestige Worldwide wrote:
Looks exactly like BF3 but in a shiny city instead of bombed-out arabic location. These guys are almost as bad as COD milking their customers with bi-yearly releases and 5 different $15 DLC packs. YAWN.

Almost as bad? I do want to beat you up over this; but that would be wrong.

If you're on a console, you're probably playing CoD. Not because it's better, but it's what everyone else is playing (it's sad, we feel for those people).

But if you're playing Battlefield, you know you have twice the game out of the box. You also know that each DLC has added more than it's fair share of $15 worth of content, and that's assuming you didn't just buy them all at once.

No one is happy about them charging for DLC, but at least their DLC has been good.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Prestige Worldwide wrote:

Have to agree with you. EA just blindly tries to emulate whatever model was successful for other devs, in this case - Activision. I did buy Premium Edition on PC and did enjoy many hours with it (both the single player and online), but after a while it got boring (especially with no custom maps) and many of my favorite servers closed down because of that... Don't see anything significantly different in these new BF4 demos and not sure I'll be pre-ordering BF4. I still get more fun when playing TF2 :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:24 pm

JohnC wrote:
I still get more fun when playing TF2 :wink:

I've tried to get into TF2 a few times over the years but the mechanics are just so different from other FPS that I find it very difficult to actually kill anyone.

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:27 pm

JohnC wrote:
Have to agree with you. EA just blindly tries to emulate whatever model was successful for other devs, in this case - Activision. I did buy Premium Edition on PC and did enjoy many hours with it (both the single player and online), but after a while it got boring (especially with no custom maps) and many of my favorite servers closed down because of that... Don't see anything significantly different in these new BF4 demos and not sure I'll be pre-ordering BF4. I still get more fun when playing TF2 :wink:

I don't agree. I have looked at a recent game footage including some that is up now on Tweaktown and there is a heck of a lot of refinement to the game. I am glad that they didn't try to make an entirely new game and worked hard on the refinements. Unlike COD which uses the same lame engine year after year, the only thing you get with those games is wackier kill streaks and new map packs for your $60.
If you look at the progression of Battlefield from Bad Company 2 to BF3 and now BF4 it is astonishing to see the refinement to not only the visuals, but to the gameplay as well. I could see a bit of the setup for the soldier in the tweektown video and it is much more refined.
As for paying for the DLC I don't get it. It takes time to make and test these maps. Dice did a very good job of expanding the gameplay and making challenging, well thought out maps.
A map pack creator would be great but I don't think you will ever see that in a major title again due to the complexity. Things have changed a great deal since the good old days in DX9 and people want a more realistic game and you just can't get that with stick men anymore.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:22 pm

I disagree too. Fancier graphics and physics effects, especially as overdone as in BF3 (and same looks to be true for BF4) have 0 effect on my enjoyment of multiplayer games (unless they are a MMORPG games). And as for "it takes time to create and develop maps" - true, that's why it is better be left to a community, same goes for new game modes or in-game items/kits. But of course that would not stimulate the content-hungry ADD (no offense to people who actually have it) kiddies to overpay for such intentionally delayed "official" DLC's and that is not something EA would want to happen :roll:
So let's just agree to disagree :wink:

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:29 pm

I guess 'physics' must be overdone when the competition doesn't have any...

Seriously, those 'overdone physics' are the highlight of the Battlefield series. Destructible environments in CoD? The world would stop spinning!

LostCat

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:37 pm

Airmantharp wrote:

Seriously, those 'overdone physics' are the highlight of the Battlefield series. Destructible environments in CoD? The world would stop spinning!

The world would probably stop spinning if Black Ops 2s single player campaign was less stupid, too. It was like...80% enjoyable, 20% ridiculously stupid.

Fortunately it was the only CoD I've played since MW1. I think I'll skip a few more.
Meow.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:45 pm

Savyg wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

The world would probably stop spinning if Black Ops 2s single player campaign was less stupid, too. It was like...80% enjoyable, 20% ridiculously stupid.

Fortunately it was the only CoD I've played since MW1. I think I'll skip a few more.

They haven't really upgraded the engine since CoD4- which was the last one that truly interested me from a single-player perspective. If I wanted to play a multi-player game that just involved shooting, I'd go back to Counter-Strike- Bad Company 2 was the first game innovative enough (the buildings and environments were more destructible than they are in BF3) to pry me away.

I've come not to expect too much from the single-player portions of these games, but I can't knock the production values in Bad Company 2 and BF3. Goofy as hell story? Sure. Endless waves of opponents if you don't advance? Yup. But still not a total wash.

I'd actually expect CoD's single-player elements to be better, but I'm about three times the average age of a online player, at least. I mean, it's mostly flooded with ~8 year olds, right?

LostCat

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:50 pm

I actually liked the single player campaign in BC2, BF3, and Warfighter.

There were no moments such as a guy with a machete mowing down hundreds of soldiers even from long distance because RAAAAAAAAAAGE.
Meow.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:14 pm

I agree that the single-player campaign in BF3 was actually very enjoyable - short but very action-packed and varied, with an interesting enough story and a somewhat decent portrayal of some Russian special forces (instead of sterotypical "evil communists/ultranationalists" crap). Definitely better than what the Activision's writers manage to create each year :wink:

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:36 am

Airmantharp wrote:

No doubt. The 2 things that I don't like the most about COD is the boxed in effect that a lot of maps have, in Battlefield you have much more options to move around, and those ridiculous kill streaks. Takes the fun out of it for me.
I've built maps for other games and loved it, I'm truly sad to see that aspect of gaming go away, but oh well... Life goes on.

LostCat

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:35 am

I'm way more excited about Titanfall but I'll definately grab BF4. Hell, I got BF3 free with ME3. I did feel like I was coming from behind on the multiplayer unlock stuff right up until I stopped playing though. That stuff is compelling but makes it rough on the beginners and casual players, don't really like that aspect.
Meow.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:13 am

Savyg wrote:
I'm way more excited about Titanfall but I'll definately grab BF4. Hell, I got BF3 free with ME3. I did feel like I was coming from behind on the multiplayer unlock stuff right up until I stopped playing though. That stuff is compelling but makes it rough on the beginners and casual players, don't really like that aspect.

The 'entry-level' deficit really got better with BF3, though. The first weapon you get in each class could very well be your best, many you unlock later are more difficult to use! And then there's scavenger.

The real issue is learning the maps. Without that knowledge, you'll be constantly getting taken out from oblique angles.

LostCat

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:25 am

Airmantharp wrote:
The 'entry-level' deficit really got better with BF3, though. The first weapon you get in each class could very well be your best, many you unlock later are more difficult to use! And then there's scavenger.

The real issue is learning the maps. Without that knowledge, you'll be constantly getting taken out from oblique angles.

I never played one before BF3.

The funny thing for me was how effective my first shotgun was with the...heat scope? The second shotgun SUCKED HARD and I never once enjoyed using it. The third one was good without as many tweaks.

It's like they want the beginning weapons to be competitive but everything after that just sucks for a while.
Meow.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:31 am

Savyg wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

I never played one before BF3.

The funny thing for me was how effective my first shotgun was with the...heat scope? The second shotgun SUCKED HARD and I never once enjoyed using it. The third one was good without as many tweaks.

It's like they want the beginning weapons to be competitive but everything after that just sucks for a while.

DICE put in a 'dog tag' system for the weapons- takes 500 kills with each primary weapon. Most of us have been working on collecting all of those, in so much as we've used every weapon extensively- good and bad. In the end, there are some that are cumbersome, but there are no 'bad' weapons :).

The IR scope got gimped pretty quick. The first incarnation was a dead ringer for the real thing, but it led to people (such as myself) using it exclusively. Support kit, USAS, extended magazine, foregrip, frag rounds, and IR scope made for a damn near unstoppable combo. They also gimped the frag rounds...

LostCat

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:37 am

Airmantharp wrote:
DICE put in a 'dog tag' system for the weapons- takes 500 kills with each primary weapon. Most of us have been working on collecting all of those, in so much as we've used every weapon extensively- good and bad. In the end, there are some that are cumbersome, but there are no 'bad' weapons :).

The IR scope got gimped pretty quick. The first incarnation was a dead ringer for the real thing, but it led to people (such as myself) using it exclusively. Support kit, USAS, extended magazine, foregrip, frag rounds, and IR scope made for a damn near unstoppable combo. They also gimped the frag rounds...

With the five round shotgun I massively disagree. Even with upgraded bits I can barely get a kill with the damn thing.

Maybe they did but I was still pretty much unstoppable on some visually noisy maps people camped on. That was still my favorite moment when dealing with campers heh. Took out like ten guys in a row...and I was still pretty much a newbie.

Ah well, I don't have the game installed anymore cause I was playing too much multi and getting fatigued. I'll definately be in BF4 though.
Meow.

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:33 am

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision