Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sony's E3 presentation - PS4 stuff and all

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Not sure if anyone else is watching Sony's E3 presentation, but it's pretty interesting. Looks like Sony wants to focus more on indie devs, allowing them to self-publish games to PS4. Some are already onboard, like Klei Games, Young Horses, Ragtag Studios, Red Barrels, Oddworld Inhabitants, Supergiant Games and other studios. Plus there are lots of other major game announcements, like FF XV, Kingdom Hearts 3, Watch Dogs, Assasin's Creed, Elder Scrolls Online (exclusive beta on PS4), Bungie's Destiny and so on. The demos look awesome even on live stream. Not much focus on "TV? TV! TVTVTVTV!!!", though :wink:

And yes, PS4 is a black box!

...and I just heard that:
"PlayStation 4 won't impose any new restrictions on used games"

Also,
"PS4 won't require you to check-in online periodically. And it won't stop working if you haven't authenticated within 24 hours" and
"In addition, PlayStation 4 disc-based games don't need to be connected online to play. Or for any type of authentication."

...and yes, the price of PS4. $399 :wink:

If anyone missed that info - it's all posted now at http://www.engadget.com/
Or watch the whole conference replay at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmoZAPDV ... verified=1

Edit: here is a detailed PR .pdf with PS4 details, specs and other stuff:
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release ... 611a_e.pdf
Looks like the Eye camera is not included (and so is not required to be constantly connected to your console) and will be available as a stand-alone option for $60. Unlike MS, Sony simply respects your choice as a customer of whether you want to pay for such accessory OR not.
Last edited by JohnC on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Sony E3 presentation - PS4 stuff an all.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:44 pm

JohnC wrote:
Not much focus on "TV? TV! TVTVTVTV!!!", though :wink:

Funny, there wasn't any mention of TV at all in MSes E3 stuff as far as I know, and when I tuned to the PS4 livestream all it was talking about was movies and music so I turned it off :lol:

I'll still buy both, but the X1 gets my attention first. I can get most of that indie crap on my PC.
Meow.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:21 pm

Savyg wrote:
I'll still buy both

Good! You can start now, pre-orders are already available:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BGA9WK2/
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

BoBzeBuilder
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:43 pm

$399.99? Win. Pre-ordered mine.
i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz / Cooler Master V8 / Asus P8P67 Evo / 8GB G.skill DDR3-1600 / Zotac GTX 780 3GB / Seasonic S12-650 / Samsung 850pro 256GB SSD / Corsair 600T Graphite / those cheap 1440p Korean monitors

LostCat

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:03 pm

JohnC wrote:
Good! You can start now, pre-orders are already available:

I don't feel the need to have a PS4 day one though I do want one, just waiting to see what all they have on tap.

I never had a PS3 so I'm not terribly interested in most of what I've heard so far.
Meow.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:11 pm

BoBzeBuilder wrote:
$399.99? Win.

I know, right? Would be amusing to watch the MSFT stock tomorrow.

GeForce6200
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:13 pm

Watched the whole release. While some parts did not feel as fluid as others and Assassin's Creed freezing, I would say it was a very successful launch. Sony knew that the people wanted the offline options and as little as possible DRM bs. Their CEO knew it and they have most definitely taken advantage of the situation. While it does appear that Sony will charge for the P+ membership, it was cheaper than xbox and gives a lot more features, plus free AAA game titles. They also showed us gameplay footage in real time and rendered on the console to display it's capabilities. Not some pre rendered on a pc bull. Overall it was a good release and the $399 price point was the icing on the cake. I will for sure be picking one up.
AMD FX8350|Gigabyte GA78LMT Modded (Rev 5.0)|EVGA 980Ti FTW|16GB Corsair DDR3|840 EVO|Raijentek STYX|Enermax TriathlorEco 650|M-Audio BX8a Deluxe

LostCat

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:32 pm

GeForce6200 wrote:
Watched the whole release. While some parts did not feel as fluid as others and Assassin's Creed freezing, I would say it was a very successful launch. Sony knew that the people wanted the offline options and as little as possible DRM bs. Their CEO knew it and they have most definitely taken advantage of the situation. While it does appear that Sony will charge for the P+ membership, it was cheaper than xbox and gives a lot more features, plus free AAA game titles. They also showed us gameplay footage in real time and rendered on the console to display it's capabilities. Not some pre rendered on a pc bull. Overall it was a good release and the $399 price point was the icing on the cake. I will for sure be picking one up.

On that note, Xbox lets you share games with family without giving away your copy, and you don't need discs at all! http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

It's easy to criticize when you don't bother trying anything new, isn't it? Hell, X1s setup is better than Steams in some ways...anyone can play your games on the main console without you being logged in AND you and your family can access your shared library no matter where you/they are. And you can sell them!

This 'look how easy it is to do the same thing everyone used to do' argument is just a tad one sided.

Also, XBL Gold now gives free AAA game titles.

Can't speak for what was rendered where on which game, though. But your comments there seem to be directed at the earlier event, not this one.
Meow.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:42 pm

The PS4 was always going to be my system of the future, eventually, once Disgaea 5 or whatever gets announced for it, but even if ti wasn't - even if I was still primarily a console gamer (I'd say now I'm closer to 33/33/33 PC/PS3/Android) it'd still be my system. No used game shenanigans (and none of the check-in requirement that goes with it), way less money, more powerful hardware. All a win. MS screwed the pooch.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:45 pm

I can see this thread going batty fast...

And I don't want either of these things. But if I did, it'd be the Xbox, because it's more of an 'HTPC' device and less of a pure game machine. Not that I want to pay the console tax for games that look worse and run slower :).

LostCat

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:52 pm

Airmantharp wrote:

They always do. It's just funny how many anti MS digs I see because people don't even know the other side of the story.
Last edited by LostCat on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meow.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:53 pm

GeForce6200 wrote:
Overall it was a good release and the $399 price point was the icing on the cake. I will for sure be picking one up.

Yea, me too. Not a very big console gamer (still hate gamepad nonsense for majority of games) but should be good entertainment device for guests, especially in our upstate remote house (no wired internet there). Plus it's always good to support a company who listens to their customers instead of thinking "we know better what customer wants than the customer him/herself" and who earned their wealth through a perfectly healthy competition and true innovations :wink:

Airmantharp wrote:

It might, but there's always ability to click on some fanbot's name, click "add foe" and just skip all the folded-up posts from such overzealous people :wink:

GeForce6200
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:03 am

Savyg wrote:
On that note, Xbox lets you share games with family without giving away your copy, and you don't need discs at all! http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

It's easy to criticize when you don't bother trying anything new, isn't it? Hell, X1s setup is better than Steams in some ways...anyone can play your games on the main console without you being logged in AND you and your family can access your shared library no matter where you/they are. And you can sell them!

This 'look how easy it is to do the same thing everyone used to do' argument is just a tad one sided.

Also, XBL Gold now gives free AAA game titles.

Can't speak for what was rendered where on which game, though. But your comments there seem to be directed at the earlier event, not this one.

I'm speaking from previous console perspective. As one that doesn't have family or friends to share games with, while a nice feature for some, it doesn't help me. I regularly play both 360 and PS3. Both consoles have their strengths and weaknesses.
My post was more about the actual press release and it's bearing on the gaming community. Heck, the number one topic of reddit right now is praise for Sony's used game concept. I feel as though MS kinda shot themselves in the foot with confusing and limited details on its DRM/ownership upon first launch and the required internet access.
XBL's free AAA games was just very recently released so I can't really comment on the quality of games given, though glad to see a step in the right direction.
The prerendered I was speaking of X1 press release, which was disappointing to myself and many others with the lack of actual game content overall, though fish moving out the way is real groundbreaking.
AMD FX8350|Gigabyte GA78LMT Modded (Rev 5.0)|EVGA 980Ti FTW|16GB Corsair DDR3|840 EVO|Raijentek STYX|Enermax TriathlorEco 650|M-Audio BX8a Deluxe

LostCat

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:08 am

GeForce6200 wrote:
The prerendered I was speaking of X1 press release, which was disappointing to myself and many others with the lack of actual game content overall

Yeah, but that was the pre E3 one. This one had no mention of TV whatsoever and from what I can tell was all in game footage. (And thankfully I didn't see anyone even mention Call of Duty. Heh.)

I'll have to watch the Sony and Ubisoft streams tomorrow, two is enough for me for one day.
Meow.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:10 am

GeForce6200 wrote:
though fish moving out the way is real groundbreaking.

:lol: That was hilarious! Need to add to my "favorites" list...

Also, Sony already released a video explaining a highly sophisticated licensing scheme for sharing your PS4 games:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA&sns=em

ULYXX
Gerbil

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:21 am

It looks like a like a black Wii rubics cube. :P I like it.

Im not really excited about multiplayer gaming needs the Playstation Pus membership. However, I have a decent PC rig to play mulitplayer games anyway, so the PS4 can coexist for my gaming standards. It's good to hear it plays Used games as well.

willyolio
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:24 am

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:09 am

ULYXX wrote:
Im not really excited about multiplayer gaming needs the Playstation Pus membership.

I think this will be a good thing. Multiplayer on the PS3 is a very ad-hoc process. Maybe with the PS4 Sony will maintain central servers for playing games instead of relying on developers to institute their own system.

LostCat

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:14 am

Man I'm glad this generation is almost over. I've been waiting for this for years now. :(

Five more months :D
Meow.

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Re: Sony's E3 presentation - PS4 stuff and all

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:30 am

Aww, I was really looking forward to laying it flat and twisting the PS logo right side up.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:44 pm

Just found this Forbes article, looks like a pretty accurate description of what happened at E3: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/ ... one-at-e3/

Oh, and got this in my Twitter:
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/ori ... 48/f29.gif

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:49 am

Sony posted "The Dark Sorcerer" on YouTube - they used this demo for PS4's capability demonstration at E3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqeuHGESZBA&sns=em
Slightly amusing, pretty nice visuals. Just watch it all at highest setting.

Some tech details about it for those who are interested:

"In the current demo, there are about a million polygons in the set, and a little less than a million per character on the screen (i.e. a total of 4 million when the three characters are on the screen). Each character has about 350 MB of textures and about forty different shaders. It’s all managed with Physically Based Shaders, volumetric lights, full HDR, Color Grading, Physical Lenses (particularly useful for chromatic aberrations and 3D depth of field), and translucence for more realistic rendering of the skin. The change of set and all the lighting (and the behavior of the shaders) between the dramatic version of the set and the “studio” version is done in real time. The same holds true for all pyrotechnical particle effects."

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:56 am

willyolio wrote:

How's that a low blow? You've always been allowed to share stuff and resell games on consoles, up until the stunt Microsoft pulled this week.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

l33t-g4m3r

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:39 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
willyolio wrote:

How's that a low blow? You've always been allowed to share stuff and resell games on consoles, up until the stunt Microsoft pulled this week.

BUT, BUT, BUT, PIRACY!!!11!!!
What about licenses, EULA's, and nonsense rationalizations that the ends justify the means? How DARE Sony allow customers to actually OWN their games. SLAVES We aren't allowed to actually OWN what we pay for! The EULA explicitly forbids natural rights that have existed for millenia, and are even enshrined in many countries laws. Not to mention, doesn't this violate NSA spy grid compliance? It's absolutely necessary to tie all your games to a keylogged central profile, so that the gov can constantly monitor all the potential tea party patriots lone wolf terrorists. (Please ignore Sen McCain's ties to real terrorists.) Microsoft is clearly doing it's patriotic duty with online accounts and 24/7 Kinect monitoring.
Last edited by l33t-g4m3r on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:25 am

axeman wrote:
Savyg wrote:
Man I'm glad this generation is almost over. I've been waiting for this for years now. :(

Five more months :D

I'm curious if this will put an end to lousy under-performing PC ports. Very interested to see how having the same ISA on consoles to PCs turns out.

The main plus for this generation is the current, uncrippled hardware in a very 'PC-like' configuration- and tons of RAM. It's the tons of RAM part that has me most excited, as the last generations of consoles were all memory limited from day one of their design phase.

This generation might even last a year or two before the memory becomes a real problem again.

LostCat

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:32 am

It'll definately raise the bar for everyone. I wouldn't have preordered the console if I wasn't so disappointed in PC gaming lately.

I'm not even a console gamer, though I enjoyed my X360 it was the first one I'd owned since the Genesis (unless you count the $50 Dreamcast when it was kinda too late to care.)

Unfortunate that Microsoft struggled so much to push DX10 and up but I'm not losing any sleep over it anymore.
Meow.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:07 am

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
BUT, BUT, BUT, PIRACY!!!11!!!
What about licenses, EULA's, and nonsense rationalizations that the ends justify the means? How DARE Sony allow customers to actually OWN their games. SLAVES We aren't allowed to actually OWN what we pay for! The EULA explicitly forbids natural rights that have existed for millenia, and are even enshrined in many countries laws. Not to mention, doesn't this violate NSA spy grid compliance? It's absolutely necessary to tie all your games to a keylogged central profile, so that the gov can constantly monitor all the potential tea party patriots lone wolf terrorists. (Please ignore Sen McCain's ties to real terrorists.) Microsoft is clearly doing it's patriotic duty with online accounts and 24/7 Kinect monitoring.

Errr, R&P aside, willyolio's characterization of Sony's cute presentation as a "low blow" is rather incredible.

Why doesn't Sony have every right to poke fun at Microsoft by showing how simple Sony's used game scheme is?

I mean, that video has a strong point. There have been two big presentations and endless releases and leaks, and finally we have some idea what the policy is, but it takes like a page to explain it and certain portions are up to the "publisher" which is yet more confusion.

Forget the decision, that's *TERRIBLE* Public Relations and Marketing.

Oh, and the decision sucks too. If Sony can say no to the publishers, why can't Microsoft?

LostCat

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:13 am

Glorious wrote:
Oh, and the decision sucks too. If Sony can say no to the publishers, why can't Microsoft?

Sony did just say that publishers will be free to implement their own DRM solutions.

I don't really call that 'saying no.'
Meow.

l33t-g4m3r

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:22 am

Glorious wrote:
If Sony can say no to the publishers, why can't Microsoft?

Ballmer. I think we all know why after experiencing what they've done with Windows 8. XBoned is just an extension of that.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:31 am

Savyg wrote:
Glorious wrote:

Sony did just say that publishers will be free to implement their own DRM solutions.

I don't really call that 'saying no.'

But is that the same as allowing publishers to dictate whether or not a game can be resold? Whether or not publishers decide to make it a requirement to play with the physical media in the drive, or more likely, to require some sort of internet connection to play (eg, Sim City), is one thing. Letting them dictate whether I'm allowed to sell or give a game away is another. While the currently understood Xbox One system will allow a game to be sold or given away once, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to at least give games away or lend them to friends as often as you want.

And I totally agree with MS shooting themselves in the foot by doing such a piss poor job of explaining how games will be tied to your cloud account, etc. It may be an appealing model for some, but unless you can present it in a way the majority clearly understands from the get go, it's just going to end up pushing people who are on the fence to the more familiar model (Ie, PS4).

Bottom line for a gamer for PS4 vs Xbox. After the exclusives argument, the next important deciding factor to most would probably be the actual capability of the hardware. Paying $100 more for core hardware that at least appears at this time to be less capable is asking a lot for anyone trying to make an objective choice between the Xbox One and the PS4. MS didn't learn from Sony's blunder last time. Sony included Bluray with the PS3 and as a result (in addition to a few other reasons), needed to charge more for the PS3 vs the Xbox 360. Yes it helped cement Bluray as the HD optical standard, but that aside, it didn't do a whole lot for PS3 sales at first due to the high initial asking price. Now MS is making a similar blunder by making the Kinect integrated.