Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

arb65912
Gerbil
Topic Author

Replacing CPU and installing cooler question

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:01 pm

Hello again, another question from a super newb. :D

Tonight, I am replacing the PSU from 500W to CORSAIR HX series HX650 650W ATX12V http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139012

Next step will be replacing CPU to Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819116504
My mobo ASUS P8H77-M LE LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 uATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131964

Question, are there any particular extra steps needed?

Do I just take the old CPU and replace with the new one and install new cooler?

Thank you for your help. Cheers, AJ

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Replacing CPU and installing cooler question

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:07 pm

CPU swaps are just about the most fool-proof hardware upgrades, just swap it and go. the only prep that might be needed is to change any CPU parameters in BIOS to default just in case you'd previously overclocked or changed other settings.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:08 pm

See TR's Build Guide for explanations and video for how to perform these tasks.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:26 pm

The trickiest bit about CPU swaps is with regard to the thermal paste you have to apply and installing the CPU cooler.

This is a case where more is not better (thermal paste). There are a number of good videos on YouTube regarding this and I would strongly advise you to watch a few of them to make sure you know what you are doing.

Some CPU coolers can be a bit tricky to install properly so take a look if there are any videos out there which apply to the one you choose.
CoolerMaster HAF X, i7-990x, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, 24GB Corsair XMS, Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X, Corsair Neutron 128GB, 3*Seagate HD (3TB), Seagate HD (1.5TB), Hitachi HD (2TB), Plextor DVD + BluRay, StorageWorks DAT 72, 29160 SCSI Adapter, Corsair H80

arb65912
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:49 am

Thank you very much for all replies, I am so happy to finally find a place with friendly, professional people willing to help the newb which I am not ashamed to admit I am. :D

Few comments.

I did not mess with OC so far so I will not have to change anything, later , I do want to OC at least a bit but that will be a separate thread, I will search first not to ask what has been asked probably hundreds of times.

I have watched TR's Build Guide video, the best one I have ever watched on the subject, nice pace, great shooting, simple and understandable narration, clapping hands for whoever did it ( sorry I do not remember the author's name)

I think I will be Ok with installing the cooler, I saw the video mentioned above as well as related Paul's NewEgg video on a computer build.
The whole idea is to spread the thermal paste evenly in a very thin layer making sure not to put any on the connectors.
There are some little tricks as far as different mounting configurations but after I read attached manual, I should be fine.

My cooler is COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835103099

Oh, the great news, last night I replaced the PSU and all went great, I can hear many of you laughing because it is a trivial task but for me it was another learning step.
I even learned that the case and PSU manufactures protect the equipment from the wrong installing by dummies like me...lol
I was thinking the way to install it ( fan up or down , decided on down which was pretty locical, sucking air from the case and blowing it out) but even if I wanted to do it wrong, the hole patern would not allow it. :o

Next step , processor, I will post how it went. No processor yet, will need to wait a week or two.

Thank you again for a quick responses, love TR forums. Cheers, AJ

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:02 am

I can hear many of you laughing because it is a trivial task but for me it was another learning step.

It is only trivial after you have done it a few hundred (or thousand) times.

The first time is gut-wrenching sweat inducing terror. All of us have been there.

My first one was where I replaced the Intel 8088 I had with the NEC V20 processor (4.77MHz to 8 MHz MASSIVE upgrade :lol:) and I had to solder a new quartz oscillator onto the board.

It took me days after I had everything to work up the courage to actually go ahead and do it.

Welcome to losing your virginity and your first step to becoming a techie :lol:

P.S. From my nick you can guess how that upgrade went. Don't worry, it'll go well for you. There are a lot of us with good Karma behind you.
CoolerMaster HAF X, i7-990x, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, 24GB Corsair XMS, Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X, Corsair Neutron 128GB, 3*Seagate HD (3TB), Seagate HD (1.5TB), Hitachi HD (2TB), Plextor DVD + BluRay, StorageWorks DAT 72, 29160 SCSI Adapter, Corsair H80

arb65912
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:50 am

Quick update...

Nec_V20, thank you very much for a kind encouraging words, I definitely need that.

What a big difference from a few months ago and now. Few months ago I was afraid to open the computer cover to blow the dust out..lol
Now, I have put a small system together and I am not afraid to go to BIOS, even update it ( I have read , do not remember where now someone recommending NOT TO flash BIOS for some reason, was it related to SSD install? I have to dig it out and find out, I do not want to mess up) and make adjustments and upgrades.

Yes, I will be nervous when replacing the CPU and later adding SSD ( as per my other thread) but I feel much better knowing that I have support from many friendly people here.
I can ask about anything and I will be given the answer, I like TR forums VERY MUCH and I want to say a big thank you to all people who helped me so far, I would never dare to do what I did without your patience and support.

Now soldering quartz oscillators, THAT would be a super brave move for me, I can feel the terror you described, lol,lol but I know all ended up great, I am happy to hear that.

Welcome to losing your virginity and your first step to becoming a techie

That was funny, made me laugh, well, I guess you are right in a way as I said before, even though my accomplishments are a drop of the water in the ocean ( Polish saying but I guess applies here also) , it is still for me like a Medieval times versus now. lol,lol

Thank you all again.

I have read about the cooler install and watched the video, it is a bit tricky with the proper configuration of the plate but I read the attached manuals and took all the components in hand to inspect them and I think I will be fine when the time comes.

Cheers, AJ

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:23 pm

( I have read , do not remember where now someone recommending NOT TO flash BIOS for some reason, was it related to SSD install? I have to dig it out and find out, I do not want to mess up)

The best way to think of the BIOS is as an Operating System in its own right. The BIOS is responsible for identifying components and initialising them for whichever Operating System you go on to load.

The reason why caution is required is because if something goes wrong whilst the BIOS is being updated (flashed) then what used to be a functioning motherboard will turn into a rock. I think what the person was trying to say is that it is not a trivial matter and you shouldn't do it unless you need to. That is, don't do it just to see how it is done for instance.

OK the scary part is over.

The one thing one should do is to look at the BIOS you want to upgrade, if you have a digital camera then go to every BIOS page and take a picture of it. In fact it is a good time to just take out your motherboard manual and go through the BIOS values to see what they mean and jot down how your values are set. Opinions are like armpits, everyone has them, but NOTHING beats RTFM (Read The F**king Manual).

This is important because when you have upgraded the BIOS it will set all the values back to the default. This can mess you around if you have an SSD and a hard drive in your system and after the BIOS update the Boot Priority no longer points towards that SSD which has the OS but rather the hard drive.

How to go about updating your BIOS. This is the part where armpits and opinions coincide. The bottom line is that no matter which method you use (Motherboard manufacturers give you the option of various ways of updating the BIOS) you have to be confident that you understand it and that this process will not be interrupted once it has begun.

For added safety go into the BIOS and get rid of any overclocking you may have configured. You want to have the system running as stably as you can possibly make it.

One thing I hardly ever see mentioned is when to do (or rather not to do) a BIOS update. If there is a storm going on anywhere near where you live then DON'T do it. The US power grid is pretty crappy and a storm can easily cause a power outage - and Murphy's Law dictates that this power cut will happen precisely when you are updating your BIOS. If you live in California for instance, don't do it during a really hot summer's day as the likelihood of power cuts is increased. Be aware of Murphy's Law and always take it into account.

Now there are a lot of horror stories out there with regard to updating your BIOS from Windows. The fact is that if you follow simple rules then this method is no more "dangerous" than any other.

Updating the BIOS from Windows is by far the easiest and most convenient way to do it if your motherboard manufacturer has included a tool to let you do so. If you have a Windows installation that tends towards crashing then you should NOT upgrade your BIOS from within Windows (remember Murphy's Law). If you decide to do it from Windows then you should make sure that you do a fresh boot and close down every program that gets loaded at startup (like Skype). Run the BIOS update tool (you will have to right-click on it and choose "Run as Administrator"), choose the BIOS version, click on "OK" and go out for a walk or make a cup of coffee or something after the process has begun. It doesn't take very long but watching it being done - especially if it is your first time - will just cause you stress; also you may think that the computer is not doing anything and that it has hung and be tempted to click on something with the mouse if you are sitting in front of the computer.

A minute is not long when you are watching a movie but it can be interminable if you are sitting in front of your computer watching it do something as critical as updating your BIOS.

After the update has finished, shut Windows down and leave your computer off for 30 seconds or so. When you start up your computer, go into the BIOS and set the values back to the way they were.

Just this year, and I haven't done as much of it as in the past, I have updated 35 to 40 motherboard BIOS's and I have updated many hundreds probably over a thousand over the years (after a while you just don't keep count). It is the one thing I approach with the most trepidation - even now - and also the one thing which has never gone wrong. So messing up this process is not a common thing to happen, at least in my experience. It is something to approach with caution but not something to be paranoid about.

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:12 am

Nec_V20 wrote:
This is important because when you have upgraded the BIOS it will set all the values back to the default. This can mess you around if you have an SSD and a hard drive in your system and after the BIOS update the Boot Priority no longer points towards that SSD which has the OS but rather the hard drive.

The first time I updated my BIOS I didn't take this into consideration. After the update, I had no idea what settings I had previously used to get a good overclock. I was never able rediscover those settings and had to settle for a lower overall overclock (though I tell myself the new rev of the BIOS was limiting my overclock).

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:31 am

Nec_V20 wrote:
The reason why caution is required is because if something goes wrong whilst the BIOS is being updated (flashed) then what used to be a functioning motherboard will turn into a rock.

Some motherboards have a removable BIOS chip or Dual BIOS chips to give you some form of rescue option. This is obviously no excuse to go about BIOS flashing half-heartedly, but just wanted you to know, (if your mobo has one of these features) not all is lost if a failed flash occurs.

Nec_V20 wrote:
Just this year, and I haven't done as much of it as in the past, I have updated 35 to 40 motherboard BIOS's and I have updated many hundreds probably over a thousand over the years

Why so many?
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:16 am

Motherboards have marketing life expectancies. During its heyday, there may be numerous BIOSs available with each new generation of CPU model numbers or other major components. You probably won't need (or want the risk) of each update unless one of these is true:

1. the new BIOS version is advertised to fix something that you are experiencing (lockups, misbehavior of peripherals, shutdowns, etcetera).

or

2. the new BIOS provides support for a new OS, CPU model number, or a peripheral that you are using or want to use.

Here's what I did with my last Asus motherboard:

Update it only if I'm having a problem or suspecting a problem.

Update it when I'm thinking of upgrading the processor or memory. The board supported either DDR2 or DDR3. When I wanted to change to DDR3 upon my transition from Windows Vista to Windows 7, I decided to update the BIOS before making those somewhat major changes.

After a number of months, it seemed like Asus had stopped supporting that board (a P5KC). That's when I downloaded and flashed the last version. I don't think there's been a new one since then; but I will double check when I prepare to put that system back into service as a home server.

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:27 am

DPete27 wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:
The reason why caution is required is because if something goes wrong whilst the BIOS is being updated (flashed) then what used to be a functioning motherboard will turn into a rock.

Some motherboards have a removable BIOS chip or Dual BIOS chips to give you some form of rescue option. This is obviously no excuse to go about BIOS flashing half-heartedly, but just wanted you to know, (if your mobo has one of these features) not all is lost if a failed flash occurs.

Nec_V20 wrote:
Just this year, and I haven't done as much of it as in the past, I have updated 35 to 40 motherboard BIOS's and I have updated many hundreds probably over a thousand over the years

Why so many?

I'm the resident guru in my area aside from the fact that being a computer techie is also my job - feel a bit guilty getting paid for something I would be doing anyway so I do pro bono work for people like arb65912 who I get to know IRL.

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:03 am

BIF wrote:
Motherboards have marketing life expectancies. During its heyday, there may be numerous BIOSs available with each new generation of CPU model numbers or other major components. You probably won't need (or want the risk) of each update unless one of these is true:

1. the new BIOS version is advertised to fix something that you are experiencing (lockups, misbehavior of peripherals, shutdowns, etcetera).

or

2. the new BIOS provides support for a new OS, CPU model number, or a peripheral that you are using or want to use.

I'll second that.

The only caveat would be with regard to new boards. Quite often what is documented with regard to a BIOS update is banal and would seem not to be worth the effort; however as I found out with regard to my Gigabyte board (X58A-UD3R - Rev. 2) when I got it, there were some problems which were sorted which were not documented. I think that is most likely because they were too embarrassed to admit to the problems (like AHCI not working with regard to individual hard drives on the SATA III ports).

arb65912
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:29 am

Gentlemen, thank you all for the replies, I am reading all you say here and learning. I did upgrade BIOS ( seems like I did not messed up) and I will be ready for the new CPU and cooler followed by SDD installation ( my other thread).

Would you upgrade CPU before installing SSD or vice versa?

My guess is , does not matter but I am almost sure I am wrong..lol.

Thank you all for your help. Cheers, AJ

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:09 pm

If all you are doing is replacing the CPU then there shouldn't be a problem putting in the SSD.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:41 pm

One more footnote on BIOS flashing: If your power is even the least bit unreliable, put the system on a UPS before flashing the BIOS. A power glitch which would normally just cause a system restart will permanently brick the motherboard if it happens while you are flashing the BIOS.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:15 pm

I will share my experience as I recently upgraded both my Xeon 5050's to 5160's:

After removing the heatsinks, following the advice of many good online sources I used a coffee filter to remove the old thermal paste. After slotting in the CPU's, I applied the thermal paste (I won't say how, because everyone has a different opinion on how to do this and I won't contribute my mess to the fray). I used the following thermal paste, which seems to work great:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835100014

After putting the heat sinks back on, the computer crashed during boot-up. As I work for AppleCare, I am familiar with SMC/NVRAM resets which when translated to PC means unplugging the power source, pushing and holding the power button down to discharge residual power, and then resetting BIOS to factory settings. I did that and have not had a problem since.

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:13 pm

Star Brood wrote:
I will share my experience as I recently upgraded both my Xeon 5050's to 5160's:

After removing the heatsinks, following the advice of many good online sources I used a coffee filter to remove the old thermal paste. After slotting in the CPU's, I applied the thermal paste (I won't say how, because everyone has a different opinion on how to do this and I won't contribute my mess to the fray). I used the following thermal paste, which seems to work great:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835100014

After putting the heat sinks back on, the computer crashed during boot-up. As I work for AppleCare, I am familiar with SMC/NVRAM resets which when translated to PC means unplugging the power source, pushing and holding the power button down to discharge residual power, and then resetting BIOS to factory settings. I did that and have not had a problem since.

If you want to make life really easy for yourself with regard to getting rid of old thermal paste, then go onto EBAY and get yourself a bottle of 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol (aka Isopropanol). It is dirt cheap and lifts the stuff off like magic and leaves no residue.

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:54 am

I had added this on to the reply to Star Brood because what he had written reminded me of various things but I think it is more appropriate in its own post:

With regard to applying thermal paste a word of warning if you suffer from "Threaditis". This is a condition named after the well known phenomenon some people display when going over a thread on a carpet with a vacuum cleaner and the thread is not sucked up. Threaditis sufferers will continually bend down to pick up the thread and then drop it back onto the carpet again to give the vacuum cleaner a second, third, fourth ... etc. et al ad nauseam chance to lift the thread. It's great exercise but I don't know what it does for your mental health.

With regard to the recommendation of spreading the thermal paste over the surface of the CPU, you can end up going bonkers trying to spread it "just right" and spend hours putting it on, spreading it around, not being satisfied with the result, wiping it off and doing it again and again.

I had one friend who will remain anonymous - Hi Jim - who did exactly that. He said he wanted to exchange the CPU himself instead of having me do it for a change. So he bought the CPU and thermal paste himself, and he said that he was going to do it on the Saturday and he would call me up if he had any questions. The Saturday came and went and I thought everything had gone hunky dory until I got a call on Sunday afternoon.

He had ordered two tubes of thermal paste (I cannot remember which one it was, it is a few years back) and the stuff had the consistency of clay, it was really thick. He had watched a few YouTube videos on how to spread thermal paste and when he had messed up he had first of all tried to use washing up liquid to get the result of his failed attempt off; but that didn't work too well, so he went out to the shop and bought some zippo lighter fluid which he said worked a hell of a lot better, and tried it again and again. He had gone through an entire tube of the paste he had bought and was onto the second one. He said he had been crying tears of frustration.

So I went back home again, to get my bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol and the paste I use (AC MX-2). I cleaned off the gunk from the CPU and the cooler (and also his debit card which he had been using to spread the stuff) put a tiny dollop of the MX-2 on the centre of the CPU, pressed down the cooler and twisted it a few times to get rid of any air bubbles and securely fixed it to the motherboard.

His comment was, "Well anyone can do THAT!". And I had another Jim "draw circle, bang head" moment.

Another Jim moment was when he phoned me up to tell me his computer was freezing. Now when I originally installed the machine I had told him to stay away from dodgy websites and on the phone he swore blind to me that he had not been on any. I got there and the first thing I saw was that his desktop was filled with shortcuts to porn diallers. I don't mind someone lying to me, but not THIS crassly.

He had originally gotten a message that there was a virus on his system but it could not be removed by the AV software that was installed. So he had downloaded another antivirus software and ran that and that also gave him the message that the virus could not be removed.

To make a long story short he had installed a total of five other AV software packages and after less than a minute of the system running after boot it froze up. The reason for this, I found, was that all six of the AV programs were doing real time scans. He wouldn't allow me to wipe his system because he had really important data on it and he wasn't sure if he would get it all if I just booted up with my USB flash drive and copied the stuff over. So I spent over six hours or more, booting up, uninstalling the AV packages he had put on there. He then spent the next couple of days making sure he had copied all his data over to the USB flash drive and then I wiped his system and reinstalled it again.

I'm sure most of you must have a Jim in their lives who make one wonder why homicide is a criminal offence, I mean one is allowed to put horses out of their misery after all.

I like Jim and he is an intelligent person (he has a degree in Law) but as far as computers are concerned he has been a bane of my existence.
Last edited by Nec_V20 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

arb65912
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:39 am

See what happens when a newb post a trivial question and he is lucky? :D
Not only I got a detailed responses and help I was hoping for but also a great story that made me laugh many times while reading.

Thank you very much Nec_V20 for sharing another lesson with a great humor, it was a highlight of my day, I have to work today ....... I will PM you later, please read.

Cheers, AJ

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:45 am

Nec_V20 wrote:
If you want to make life really easy for yourself with regard to getting rid of old thermal paste, then go onto EBAY and get yourself a bottle of 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol (aka Isopropanol). It is dirt cheap and lifts the stuff off like magic and leaves no residue.

Yup. Most isopropyl sold at retail is the 70% stuff (30% water). Even if you don't get the 99.9% stuff, at least get the 91% stuff (which should be available at the local drugstore).

From time to time, people recommend stronger solvents like acetone, xylene, etc. While they are indeed very effective at removing old thermal compound from metal surfaces, they can also damage other materials (e.g. plastics). Unless you're really careful, my recommendation is to just stick with the isopropyl.

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:02 am

Nec_V20,

My thermal paste application compared to Jim's experience makes me seem like I am the master of applying the stuff :P

I might as well say what method I used. Well, the coffee filter I would definitely do again (saves me from having to buy yet another thing). In less than 30 seconds both CPU's and heat sinks were devoid of all traces of thermal compound. My heat sinks had grooves on them at the point of contact. So what I did was I spread thermal paste directly to the heat sink first, not using a credit card just my finger in a plastic bag. Just enough to fill in the grooves to make it slightly more even across the surface. Then I put 3 very thin lines going across both heat sinks, sort of like how they did in this link: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ ... t-1/1303/6. When I was about to put the heat sinks back on, before screwing anything in I pressed the contact point onto the CPU to make sure that it spread all the way. After determining that it had for both, and once I got my computer booted, I have been enjoying very cool temperatures ever since. During idle, temps are usually 5c (bottom CPU) and 10c (top) above room temperature.

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:34 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:

Yup. Most isopropyl sold at retail is the 70% stuff (30% water). Even if you don't get the 99.9% stuff, at least get the 91% stuff (which should be available at the local drugstore).

From time to time, people recommend stronger solvents like acetone, xylene, etc. While they are indeed very effective at removing old thermal compound from metal surfaces, they can also damage other materials (e.g. plastics). Unless you're really careful, my recommendation is to just stick with the isopropyl.

Other solvents also leave residue which, when the processor heats up will cause bubbling in the thermal paste and reduce its efficacy. 99/9% Isopropyl Alcohol will not leave much of any residue and therefore not leave you with a future landmine, no matter which thermal paste you choose.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:27 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Pretty sure I've been using the standard 70% stuff (I'll have to check tonight) and I haven't had any problems with it. Soak some into a paper towel (damp, not dripping), rub around on the CPU, repeat once or twice....done.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:01 pm

DPete27 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Pretty sure I've been using the standard 70% stuff (I'll have to check tonight) and I haven't had any problems with it. Soak some into a paper towel (damp, not dripping), rub around on the CPU, repeat once or twice....done.

The 70% stuff certainly works too; I use it if I don't have the 91% stuff handy. It just doesn't work as well, and you need to be more careful to make sure things are completely dry before applying power since any residual cleaner takes longer to evaporate.

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:03 am

I was a bit confused with the whole "70%" and "91%" talk until I took a look on EBAY in the United States.

In the UK you cannot buy Isopropyl Alcohol (of any concentration) over the counter. When I looked on EBAY here it immediately came up with the 99.9% stuff.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:31 am

Nec_V20 wrote:
When I looked on EBAY here it immediately came up with the 99.9% stuff.

Stay away from the 99.9% stuff. That's "denatured alcohol" and has nasty additives to stop the ethanol from glomming on to any passing molecules of H2O.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:33 am

To the OP did i read correct, you are installing a 3570k into a h77 motherboard? You need a z77 board to really overclock that chip, hopefully you can use the turbo multipliers to get over 4ghz but i am not sure.

You do know why E85 ethenol has 15% gasoline in it. Because if it did not you could go to the gas station and get gallons of 200proof moonshine right from the pumps for around $4.00 a gallon. Plus i do not think you would go blind since it is made from corn and sugarcane/beets.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:25 am

vargis14 wrote:
You do know why E85 ethenol has 15% gasoline in it. Because if it did not you could go to the gas station and get gallons of 200proof moonshine right from the pumps for around $4.00 a gallon. Plus i do not think you would go blind since it is made from corn and sugarcane/beets.

Ethanol intended for use as an automotive fuel would still have other toxic additives even if it wasn't cut with 15% gasoline. Anyone who tried to drink it would be removed from the gene pool in rather short order, gasoline or no.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:35 am

just brew it! wrote:
Ethanol intended for use as an automotive fuel would still have other toxic additives even if it wasn't cut with 15% gasoline. Anyone who tried to drink it would be removed from the gene pool in rather short order, gasoline or no.

And the pump bottles of Purell that magically appeared everywhere in the office are 65% ethanol and I can guarantee that some stupid high school kid (redundancy?) has tried it.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.