Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Microsoft drops Xbox One DRM

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:58 pm

So what does everyone think of the official news today from Microsoft that they are dropping all of their DRM requirements from the Xbox One? So they won't require you to connect to the internet every 24 hours. You do need to connect when you first set up the console but never after that point. Also you can share games with anyone if you have the physical disk. You can't share a digital copy of a game so the consumer does lose that ability thanks to the loss of the 24hour check in requirement. They've even dropped the region locks.

So the way the Xbox One handles games will be just about the same as the Xbox 360, and much the same as the Playstation 4.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Microsoft drops Xbox One DRM

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:25 pm

They're calling it the 'XBOX 180'.

I guess when you faceplant, you pretty much have to change direction.

I still don't trust the clowns in the circlejerk meetings that came up with the original XBone DRM plans - you can be sure they're still waiting in the wings biding their time to introduce their scheme(s).

I see a PS4 in my future to supplement my gaming desktop.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:29 pm

nanoflower wrote:
So what does everyone think of the official news today from Microsoft that they are dropping all of their DRM requirements from the Xbox One? So they won't require you to connect to the internet every 24 hours. You do need to connect when you first set up the console but never after that point. Also you can share games with anyone if you have the physical disk. You can't share a digital copy of a game so the consumer does lose that ability thanks to the loss of the 24hour check in requirement. They've even dropped the region locks.

So the way the Xbox One handles games will be just about the same as the Xbox 360, and much the same as the Playstation 4.

That's cool... too bad their OS division isn't as responsive as their Xbox division :wink:

Now if they just drop the price by $100... then again, who am I kidding - if I buy this or the PS4 it'll be after the prices come significantly down.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:38 pm

Good on them, I think they just gained back a HUGE amount of 360 users who were going to get a PS4 instead. Myself not included. It's still underpowered and overpriced, it still requires the use of that stupid camera, the OS is probably still crap, and AFAIK you still have to sign away your right to a class action lawsuit. Oh and XBL still costs more than PS+ but either way I'm sick of paying a monthly bill to access the internet for which I already pay a monthly bill. If I get a PS4 it will be for non-multiplayer exclusives like The Last of Us and Kingdom Hearts.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

PixelArmy
Gerbil

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:47 pm

The 24 hr check in needed to go.

However, IMO they had some interesting concepts in terms of sharing... I think a nice compromise would have been to make key registration optional, then access all the digital sharing features, but if you prefer not to register then you can keep doing things the old school disc based way. Of course this makes trading in games difficult as there would need to be some sort of in-store game key validation service and/or a way to unregister.

Edit: Oops, hole in the scheme, register then lend disc... Anyways, maybe have all the digital access features only if you buy a digital copy and don't even bother allowing discs to register. Though this has the problem in that users that do want to register, can't buy the disc for "sneaker net" convenience.
Last edited by PixelArmy on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:02 pm

ALiLPinkMonster wrote:
Good on them, I think they just gained back a HUGE amount of 360 users who were going to get a PS4 instead. Myself not included. It's still underpowered and overpriced, it still requires the use of that stupid camera, the OS is probably still crap, and AFAIK you still have to sign away your right to a class action lawsuit. Oh and XBL still costs more than PS+ but either way I'm sick of paying a monthly bill to access the internet for which I already pay a monthly bill. If I get a PS4 it will be for non-multiplayer exclusives like The Last of Us and Kingdom Hearts.

Yea, pretty much - while it is good that MS finally started trying to compete I will not be canceling my PS4 bundle pre-order. I do not NEED Kinect (had it for Xbox360, barely used it for few days) and I do not want to pay for it or for overpriced Xbox Live Gold sub which was useless for me aside from occasional multiplayer (PS+ gives free games and costs cheaper).
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

LostCat

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:08 pm

Lame. Just cancelled the console and eight games preorders.
Meow.

Voldenuit

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Savyg wrote:
Lame. Just cancelled the console and eight games preorders.

If it's any consolation [sic], it's people like you who helped ram the message in through the thick skulls at Microsoft. You deserve a shout.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

LostCat

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:31 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
If it's any consolation [sic], it's people like you who helped ram the message in through the thick skulls at Microsoft. You deserve a shout.

I don't know how that makes any sense, but ok.

Just cancelled my Xbox 360 order too.
Meow.

superjawes

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:57 pm

Start from where the 360 is today and continue to improve Xbox Live toward a more general service like they wanted with the original XBone plans.

It wasn't so much that the system was flawed but that it was so different and more restrictive than what came before it. You can sell DRM with less appealing features, like how Steam requires a connection to launch games. However, you have to take not that Steam 1) offers additional features that go along with it, and 2) seems to be lifting restrictions rather than creating more.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

marraco
Gerbil

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:06 pm

I'm so sad about this outcome...

I expected MS to be slaughtered.

I'm already miss the gore...

Still, the PS4 is cheaper, more powerful and both are eaten alive by my PC.

Cuhulin
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Do MS managers do any thinking at all?

There was absolutely no reason why this reversal should not have been done as an option for customers, not as a reversal.

As done, it looks like they got caught with their hands in the cookie jar, put the cookie back and are saying "See, we listened when we got caught." Dumb!

If, instead, they said that when you register the One you could choose the old model or the new model or have the new model be an option in Live Gold, it would have been "We're more pro-consumer than Sony - we provide these choices", and they could have created a competitive advantage. Instead, they merely backtracked, leaving one with no sense of "Oh boy"! Dumb and Dumber!
For Work: Corsair One Pro, i7-7700, 16GB, GTX 1080, Samsung 49KS8000 and 2xAsus 27" 4K, 2 x Sonos Play 5

For Play: Ryzen 5, MSI B350M, 8GB, Radeon 580 and building....

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:57 pm

Cuhulin wrote:
Dumb and Dumber!

No u! Ur a poopyhead!

Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:58 pm

JohnC wrote:
Cuhulin wrote:
Dumb and Dumber!

No u! Ur a poopyhead!

Gorgeous.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:17 am

Microsoft did not 'drop' DRM. Just like with PC games and Steam, Microsoft and Sony are banking on the idea that downloaded games are convenient and will be popular; lots if not most of XBO games will be downloaded, they hope, meaning that most games for the console will have the very DRM restrictions they want to enforce.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Techgoudy
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:50 am

I am very pleased to hear them let go of the idea of a "always connected" console. Even though we live in a highly connected world, we are not at the point where we are guaranteed an active internet connection, with that said, I just didn't feel comfortable paying for a console that seemed like I didn't even own it and if my internet went down/Xbox Servers went down, then I would have a paper weight.

Cuhulin wrote:

There was absolutely no reason why this reversal should not have been done as an option for customers, not as a reversal.

As done, it looks like they got caught with their hands in the cookie jar, put the cookie back and are saying "See, we listened when we got caught." Dumb!

If, instead, they said that when you register the One you could choose the old model or the new model or have the new model be an option in Live Gold, it would have been "We're more pro-consumer than Sony - we provide these choices", and they could have created a competitive advantage. Instead, they merely backtracked, leaving one with no sense of "Oh boy"! Dumb and Dumber!

You sir have a wonderful point. I would have much rather seen Microsoft GIVE the choice instead of backing down. The choice should have remained optional on a per game basis in my opinion and it could have been something Microsoft could have managed.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:28 pm

Techgoudy wrote:
I am very pleased to hear them let go of the idea of a "always connected" console. Even though we live in a highly connected world, we are not at the point where we are guaranteed an active internet connection, with that said, I just didn't feel comfortable paying for a console that seemed like I didn't even own it and if my internet went down/Xbox Servers went down, then I would have a paper weight.

Cuhulin wrote:

You sir have a wonderful point. I would have much rather seen Microsoft GIVE the choice instead of backing down. The choice should have remained optional on a per game basis in my opinion and it could have been something Microsoft could have managed.

So you think it would have been feasible for MS to implement a system where you could choose to be connected to the internet and share you digital games, or choose not to have to be connected to the internet and not share them? That sounds like a logistical nightmare to me. if it was implementable, it would mean the minute you share a game, you can no longer play any other digital game you may own (one that you don't have the disc to put in the drive to verify that you are currently in possession of the rights to play) without being connected. It can't just be on a per game basis. They need to make sure that if someone on your share list is playing, you nor anyone else on the share list are not playing at the same time. This requires all on the share list to be online. And the online requirement was one of the major issues MS received flack for.

Fans of the original model didn't think much past "I get to share games with 10 people". That feature might be appealing to some, but it comes with a whole bunch of restrictions by necessity. The main one being the consistent internet connection.

LostCat

Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:41 pm

cynan wrote:
Fans of the original model didn't think much past "I get to share games with 10 people". That feature might be appealing to some, but it comes with a whole bunch of restrictions by necessity. The main one being the consistent internet connection.

I was only interested in sharing with one person...who was actually family. I don't know how they'd actually enforce that 'family members' requirement.

I hope they'll reintroduce the original model over time to some degree, because I very much would've preferred it. I have no plans to buy a PS4 in the next few years, but I did just get my first PS3 just for something new after the announcement. I'll have to order an Xbox One post launch.
Meow.

PixelArmy
Gerbil

Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:17 pm

Savyg wrote:
I don't know how they'd actually enforce that 'family members' requirement.
They clarified it to mean friends... (Occam's razor, it would not be possible to distinguish an adopted, long distance family member from a random person)

cynan wrote:
So you think it would have been feasible for MS to implement a system where you could choose to be connected to the internet and share you digital games, or choose not to have to be connected to the internet and not share them? That sounds like a logistical nightmare to me. if it was implementable, it would mean the minute you share a game, you can no longer play any other digital game you may own (one that you don't have the disc to put in the drive to verify that you are currently in possession of the rights to play) without being connected. It can't just be on a per game basis. They need to make sure that if someone on your share list is playing, you nor anyone else on the share list are not playing at the same time. This requires all on the share list to be online. And the online requirement was one of the major issues MS received flack for.

An access control list?!?!?! That has never been done in the history of computing...
The owner as described, was allowed to run concurrently with one person on the shared list, as such, the owner would not need to check the access list. However, shared users would need to connect at least every access attempt to gain permissions (most likely continuous during the run of the game depending on how strict they want to be in propagating changes in permissions). MS did receive flak for the online requirement, but IMO that would be a "fair" trade off for essentially a "free game" and only is necessary during the run of the game.