Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

BitTorrent and uTorrent

Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:22 am

Hi guys. I've been using BitTorrent to download some stuff, and I've been having some problems with it. Almost everytime I start BitTorrent the downloads would go checking the files from 0.0%. It does this for all current downloads. Worse part is that it takes a long time and BT seems to be eating up all my hard drive's time (thereby slowing the system down) and eats up quite a bit of two of my CPU's cores as well. I'm using an FX-8350 and heck, I have CPU resources in spades but BT seems to really bog the whole system down despite BT eating only a small fraction of my CPU's time. Anybody else experiencing this? I'm using ver. 7.8, the latest.

Also, I'm getting kinda sick of BitTorrent so I downloaded uTorrent. First thing I've noticed with UT is that it looks SO MUCH like BitTorrent. Are these two the same software? Are these two open source and one of them is just a fork of the other? I seem to have read somewhere that BT and UT are having the issues I just stated above so there may be a possibility that these two apps are twins. Since UT is probably the most popular torrent client out there I thought I'd give it a try first before resorting to other torrent clients.

Thanks in advance, folks.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: BitTorrent and uTorrent

Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:37 am

Bittorrent is the name of the protocol, but the original Bittorrent client is one of the worst out there (although also the simplest)

I like uTorrent, but as it used to be. They sold out and now uTorrent is a feature-bloated, adware, trialware, toolbar deploying POS.
My recommendation is to go to oldversion.com and get the very last of the 2.xx clients. 3.0 is where they sold out and became junkware, IMO.

uTorrent is much faster, more usable and nowhere near as disk-intensive as the Bittorrent client.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

clocks
Gerbil

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:42 am

Try qtorrent. Very similar to the old uTorrent, without the added bloat.

http://www.qbittorrent.org/

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:36 am

I use uTorrent version 3 on both my upstairs machines my 2600k tower and my HTPC i3 2120 with the hd 7750 They both use very little CPU and the program has a small footprint. Also I have it setup to download onto a esata drive on my tower and my secondary storage drive on my HTPC. That way Its not using the drives my programs are on so i get no PC slowdown at all.

I would not torrent to my main drive anyways just in case.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:30 am

I like using Deluge or Transmission when I need to download torrents.

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:20 pm

Ok, this sucks. I got uTorrent 3.3 to replace BitTorrent 7.8. I'm downloading 4 torrents. Problem is, with UT, two of those torrents are stuck with 'finding peers'. Those two torrents aren't exactly downloading quickly in BT but in UT they're pretty much stuck even after trying hours later. Just had to scrap the whole thing and start over. Now it's stuck at 'downloading metadata'. WTH. I think UT isn't doing something BT can.

Edit - Ok, I paused the other two torrents for a while that aren't having problems. Now one of the stuck torrents started to run, but the other is still stuck. I think I'm gonna have to observe this for a while.

Anybody here also having trouble with BT or UT trying to check the downloaded parts every time you start the app? 7.8 seems to indicate it has a fix for the problem but I don't think it was really fixed. Plus, I've been using 7.7 since October of last year and this is the first time this has happened. Not sure if it's just bad luck that I ran into a torrent download that would make BT go nuts.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:25 pm

Just remember that not every torrent you're seeking to d/l has a peer ready and waiting to upload.

Oh, and Rule #1 and all that.

Thanks for listening.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:36 pm

What he said:)

Also I increase my total peers to like 10000 in the settings :)
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:46 pm

I use uTorrent - don't have any issues even with latest version... The only settings I ever touch is disabling all the visually redundant panels and similar stuff... Anyway, you should check out official forums for it, you'll probably find all the answers to your issues.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

destroy.all.monsters
Gerbil

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:51 pm

I didn't like the utorrent 3.x series, 2.x is too old. Deluge I've used occasionally but the last time I used it it was extremely buggy (on Windows). Used to use Halite but it's not as aggressively developed. I just stick to Tixati now - developed by the coder of WinMX, aggressive releases and very, very solid. There's also a ton of pages on the Tixati site that show how to best configure it. I consider it the best Windows client at the moment.
Last edited by destroy.all.monsters on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have nothing against humanity that thousands of years of nuclear winter won't take care of.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:54 pm

ronch wrote:
Ok, this sucks. I got uTorrent 3.3 to replace BitTorrent 7.8. I'm downloading 4 torrents. Problem is, with UT, two of those torrents are stuck with 'finding peers'. Those two torrents aren't exactly downloading quickly in BT but in UT they're pretty much stuck even after trying hours later. Just had to scrap the whole thing and start over. Now it's stuck at 'downloading metadata'. WTH. I think UT isn't doing something BT can.

Edit - Ok, I paused the other two torrents for a while that aren't having problems. Now one of the stuck torrents started to run, but the other is still stuck. I think I'm gonna have to observe this for a while.

Anybody here also having trouble with BT or UT trying to check the downloaded parts every time you start the app? 7.8 seems to indicate it has a fix for the problem but I don't think it was really fixed. Plus, I've been using 7.7 since October of last year and this is the first time this has happened. Not sure if it's just bad luck that I ran into a torrent download that would make BT go nuts.

Default settings probably don't allow for enough connections and downloads at one time. Check your settings.

What's the issue with the software checking data that's already downloaded? Not a huge deal.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:00 pm

I'm using the latest version of utorrent and haven't noticed a big difference. Sure, there is an ad banner at the top, but maybe I've just never bothered to pay attention. Will have to look more closely at this next time I use it.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

travbrad
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
I like uTorrent, but as it used to be. They sold out and now uTorrent is a feature-bloated, adware, trialware, toolbar deploying POS.

I agree that stuff is a minor annoyance, but you can easily disable all of things you mentioned in about 1 minute by doing a quick Google search. Here is what my uTorrent 3.3 (newest version) looks like

It's not THAT bloated either. I think I can spare 30MB of my 8GB.

6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:04 pm

Settings I touched (when I used uTorrent):

Ensure the global max upload is no more than 90% of the upload you get from a speedtest.net average run; otherwise the app can choke itself (and everything else on your network) to death. Set it to 60% or 70% if you want to browse or game at the same time without considerable impact. You may need to touch the download cap as well, but due to sync's and ack's built in to the BT schema over the UDP protocol, you cannot receive if you cannot send.

Most other settings are cosmetic aside from possibly adjusting the number of peers to unlimited. Also, if you're using XP, stop, or start reading a lot more guides.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:42 pm

travbrad wrote:
I agree that stuff is a minor annoyance, but you can easily disable all of things you mentioned in about 1 minute by doing a quick Google search. Here is what my uTorrent 3.3 (newest version) looks like.
It's not THAT bloated either. I think I can spare 30MB of my 8GB.

Yeah, uTorrent 3.3 can be trimmed down to 2.x, but if that's what you're aiming for, why not just get hold of 2.x in the first place?
Are there any genuinely good things about 3.x over 2.x that make de-bloating the bloated version better than just getting the clean version in the first place (I ask that as a genuine question, I hated all the extra crap that got in the way of it being a torrent client, IMO, so I've only used 3.x for a brief time)
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:42 pm

I switched to Deluge when I didn't like the direction uTorrent was going, a lot of people did. It's starting to take shape nicely, I've had no issues with the latest release on Windows.