Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

clocks
Gerbil
Topic Author

Gamepad recommendations needed

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:36 am

Hi - I'm in the market for two game pads. First I want one for the PC, and my priority is compatibility with games. I have bought two cheap generic ones in the past, and I find they don't work with most the Steam games I purchase. From a tiny bit of research I've done, it sounds like the Xbox Controller for Windows may be the most compatible? I was also looking at a Logitech, which is almost half the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-36 ... 02045011_2
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-0001 ... 02045011_3

Secondly, I may buy a Bluetooth controller to use with an Android tablet. Any advice there? Thanks!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Gamepad recommendations needed

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:59 am

Just grab the Xbox 360 wired controller (unless you're using it in an HTPC environment and need wireless). Don't bother with the 'Windows' version; they're all USB 2.0 and recognized by Windows perfectly on connection. There really isn't a better build controller out there, though the alternative brands may offer features you might find useful.

I'm looking forward to reviews of the Xbone controller when used in Windows. It looks nice!

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:04 pm

I use a Xbox360 controller knock-off from Gamestop. You have to download the xbox360 controller drivers from Microsoft (that's pretty easy to do), but other than that, it's just like any other USB2 device. I've played numerous games in Steam without any problem.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

C-A_99
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:34 pm

If you plan on doing some retro gaming, make sure the D-pad is up to the task. I don't think Microsoft ever fixed it on their controllers. Not sure how the Gamestop MadCatz one performs since I haven't tried any Super Mario on it, but the rest of the controller is pretty solid.

For wireless Xbox 360 controllers, I ordered one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HZ ... UTF8&psc=1

The version I got was black. Not sure if it was genuine, but it works perfectly fine after plugging it into any Windows 7 system I have. (I've tested it on x86 and x64 Professional.) The reason I got one was for multiplayer, where we had more wireless controllers than wired. (Plus, it was in the living room anyway.)

clocks
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:40 am

Ok, thanks for the feedback. Unless I hear anything things else, I'll probably place an order for a wired XBox controller today.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:37 am

Another tick in the 360 controller's favor: there's a lot of half-arsed console ports that are written to expect a 360 controller and don't let you remap buttons easily or at all. Seriously, I've seen so many of those and hardly any that want a Playstation or even a generic controller.

The cynic (or realist?) in me says this is because MS wrote their porting tools for their controller to help drive sales.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

clocks
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:39 am

Ok, I placed my order. thanks

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:51 am

I know this issue is now closed, but don't buy the Gamestop branded controllers. I worked for Gamestop for several years, and third party brands were nothing but trouble. Used MS/Sony/Nintendo controllers never had issues, but 3rd party controllers came back regularly as defective (even the new ones). Unless you are already familiar with the brand and trust it (like Logitech), 1st party is the way to go.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

clocks
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks. I ordered the official MS Xbox 360 controller. I was tempted to save a few bucks, and just get the $21 Logitech, but I fear I'd be making the same mistake I made with my original generic controllers. I suspect Logitech is more compatible than those, but I feared it may not have the same compatibility and ease of setup as the MS controller.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:26 pm

clocks wrote:
Thanks. I ordered the official MS Xbox 360 controller. I was tempted to save a few bucks, and just get the $21 Logitech, but I fear I'd be making the same mistake I made with my original generic controllers. I suspect Logitech is more compatible than those, but I feared it may not have the same compatibility and ease of setup as the MS controller.

Logitech is probably the only one I'd trust, but their quality is still suspect next to Microsoft's. Microsoft's input devices have almost always been top notch.

Now if they'd put MX Browns in a Naturals keyboard... that'd be cool :)

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:29 pm

clocks wrote:

Logitech is a fine brand. You probably are better with the 360 controller, but for different reasons. I've noticed that a lot of PC games are assuming that your gamepad is a 360 controller, which kind of makes sense considering the makeup of consoles at the moment. If nothing else, you know that if you want to switch to a controller for a PC game, you will have more than enough buttons and functionality.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:36 pm

superjawes wrote:
clocks wrote:

Logitech is a fine brand. You probably are better with the 360 controller, but for different reasons. I've noticed that a lot of PC games are assuming that your gamepad is a 360 controller, which kind of makes sense considering the makeup of consoles at the moment. If nothing else, you know that if you want to switch to a controller for a PC game, you will have more than enough buttons and functionality.

An addendum- if you're using an Xbox 360 controller, Windows sees that and so do your games. Most ports will 'just work'. Changing brands throws a possible wrench into the equation that just isn't necessary when the build quality and ergonomics of the real thing are already the best available and the cost is only incrementally more.

travbrad
Gerbil XP

Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:30 pm

I have both a Logitech rumblepad and a Xbox360 controller, and while I prefer the playstation controller layout (which the Logitech has), I think the 360 controller is better for PC gaming.

As many people have mentioned, a lot of games assume you are using the 360 controller, and virtually every game supports it. Many games require some tweaking to get them working with the Logitech controller. Some even require 3rd party programs to trick the game into thinking you have a xbox360 controller. Poorly done console ports even have the 360 buttons/colors for special/combo moves, which can get confusing if you are using a different controller.

Even the official PS3 controllers have the same issues as other non-360 controllers, not to mention they are very expensive ($15-20 more than a 360 controller)

I love Logitech peripherals (I have Logitech wheel/pedals, joystick, microphone, and gamepad), but in the case of gamepads the game support for the 360 just makes it the better option.
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM

clocks
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:57 pm

Awesome feedback. Guess I made the right choice then. I figured the Logitech would probably be ok, but the MS controller leaves me with a little more assurance that I won't have any issues.

Now finally I can get to those side scrollers I've been buying on Steam (Trine 1&2, Sacred Citadel, and D&D Chronicles of Mystara).

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Microsoft's input devices have almost always been top notch.

Now if they'd put MX Browns in a Naturals keyboard... that'd be cool :)

You too?
I'm still rocking (at various locations) An MS Natural Elite, an MS Natural Multimedia, and an NEK4000.
The original elite I bought in 98 is still the best, I seriously wish they made in black, UK layout with a USB plug and I'd gladly pay $100 for one.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:53 pm

It's not at all hard to emulate a PS controller for M$ xbox games. X360ce works just fine.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:30 pm

PenGun wrote:
It's not at all hard to emulate a PS controller for M$ xbox games. X360ce works just fine.

I do need to learn about controller mapping- my last attempt ended in confusion without getting anywhere.

What I'm trying to do is use an Xbox 360 controller in BF3 exclusively for helicopters, while using a separate joystick for jets. I also need to be able to map my Ventrilo to a button on the 360 controller in addition to the currently bound keyboard button.

The challenge is that BF3 only recognizes one controller- which means that I'd have to set up the various axis(s) of the two controllers as a single virtual controller, and then make a map so I can get the settings right. I'd definitely like to get this done before the BF4 beta hits near October :).

travbrad
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
I also need to be able to map my Ventrilo to a button on the 360 controller in addition to the currently bound keyboard button.

Does Ventrillo not let you map a gamepad button to it or something? In Teamspeak I have a mouse button, joystick button, and gamepad button all mapped to push-to-talk.
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:09 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
PenGun wrote:

I do need to learn about controller mapping- my last attempt ended in confusion without getting anywhere.

What I'm trying to do is use an Xbox 360 controller in BF3 exclusively for helicopters, while using a separate joystick for jets. I also need to be able to map my Ventrilo to a button on the 360 controller in addition to the currently bound keyboard button.

The challenge is that BF3 only recognizes one controller- which means that I'd have to set up the various axis(s) of the two controllers as a single virtual controller, and then make a map so I can get the settings right. I'd definitely like to get this done before the BF4 beta hits near October :).

I only made my PS3 controller, I foolishly bought for Rage, work because I wanted my buddy who is good with a controller, to do the driving for me. We did have fun in that fairly meh game. He would drive and do that fighting and I did the rest.

It works in almost any game I've tried it on with X360ce.

Now you are trying to do something difficult. I'd probably just swap USB connectors if I could get away with it in your case.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:13 pm

PenGun wrote:
Now you are trying to do something difficult. I'd probably just swap USB connectors if I could get away with it in your case.

If only that were practical- hard part is, you can respawn directly to a jet or a helicopter as available, and if you're waiting for one, it'd needed ASAP. But that doesn't even go into the mapping issue; the game will not respond to, let alone map, a controller that isn't attached when it's started.

I realize that these are all limitations imposed by lazy console porters; it seems that DICE never got around to polishing the input device support as well as the rest of the game. Maybe BF4 will be better.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:14 pm

travbrad wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
I also need to be able to map my Ventrilo to a button on the 360 controller in addition to the currently bound keyboard button.

Does Ventrillo not let you map a gamepad button to it or something? In Teamspeak I have a mouse button, joystick button, and gamepad button all mapped to push-to-talk.

It may, but Ventrilo is damn old. It is however what my community uses so it's what I use; though I have used open Teamspeak channels before.

Just not as fun when you don't know the people though!