Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Windows 8 No Longer Loading

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:21 pm

Hi again,

Yesterday I uninstalled my NVIDIA drivers of old using the program CCleaner (add/remove programs wouldn't locate those). Immediately following i could no longer open any of my games due to graphics driver errors and the messages said one option is to try to restart to resolve. i did not restart right away.

Another thing i did yesterday was run a defrag using auslogics disk defrag. Halfway through i paused the session so my wife could do some facebook browsing, then resumed. I checked the option to shut down computer after it's finished.

This morning Windows 8 no longer boots. I've reset the bios, reset the SMC (unplugged, held power, plugged back in), restarted several times, no dice. I have been able to somewhat boot into ubuntu (no UI though). I tried Windows 8 automatic repair which said it failed.

Reading online there's possibly an issue with windows8 fast boot contributing, but no way I've found online how to disable it if you can't log in.

I guess I'm stuck here and wondering if there's a way out of this.

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Re: Windows 8 No Longer Loading

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Issue Solved!

Safe booting wasn't changing the behavior, either. I did a restore which didn't work, then later I decided to try an earlier restore. That's when I learned that the first restore I did was only a partial restore point, but the one I just restored from was a complete system restore point. Looks like we are back in business!

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:02 am

I am curious;

How much farther back was the restore that worked?

And, for my own edification, we are talking about "Windows System Restore Points" and not restoring from backup images, correct?

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:47 am

Correct, just the automatic restore points that Windows creates on its own.

I only had to backtrack about 1 week, but the restore - surprisingly - did not erase my files. It just undid the application installs and system settings changes that I'd done since that time. And that was all that it needed. I presume improperly uninstalling the NVIDIA drivers was what caused this issue.