Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Re: General photography thread [img heavy]

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:24 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
400mm x 1.6 crop factor = 640mm equivalent on my 7D or 400mm on your EOS 6D. I think you'd really like 1600mm equivalent for moon shots that fill the frame. Yours for a mere $13K plus $450. :wink:

For me, after I rip the hot mirror out of my camera, one of these perhaps:

http://www.canadiantelescopes.com/Shop- ... cerM9evtpj

I have a mount lined up too.

I have some full frame moon shots from way back in the last century, I should dig them out, my 8" reflector was good for that.

This is what I want:

http://messier42.files.wordpress.com/20 ... c-crop.jpg
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:11 am

Full frame pictures of the moon may be fun from a technical standpoint, but just google for them. Pengun, your picture of the moon over a particular landscape is unique - can't find that shot on google.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:16 am

For those that are interested in Capture One, I just got a 20%-off code in the mail good for 24 hours: COP7twenty

They can still keep it, far as I'm concerned, but different strokes.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:59 pm

flip-mode wrote:
Full frame pictures of the moon may be fun from a technical standpoint, but just google for them. Pengun, your picture of the moon over a particular landscape is unique - can't find that shot on google.

I like the shot but it's just a bit much. It is amazing in a technical sense and really shows off the camera but I think this may sell if printed well.

I don't usually crop this much but it works here. That's a 96% zoom on the original. I'll put that up against the long lens guys. ;) Of course I can't print it much over 8x10.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:48 am

PenGun, here is a quick example shot of what I was noticing on the bottom/south side of the moon earlier. I don't have enough magnification to really make out what I'm looking at. If I had to guess, I'd say that it's atmospheric distortion from the earth's atmosphere combined with a lack of resolution on the subject due to limited magnification.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:27 am

That is usually actual moon texture. I got that all the time on my shots at 400-500mm. It really shows up on higher focal lengths. I'd always get this edge of texture on the moon. While I thought it was cool, I was never able to get the moon to resolve completely like that or not at all. I was hoping to with the whole super moon thing, but with wedding it wasn't in the cards.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:49 am

Here are the rest of my shots, with very quick batch editing; I'll whittle them down some day to one or two good ones when I've had the chance to really compare the different focal lengths and apertures. As always, click the image for the set.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:22 pm

Those are good. My shot is with a 60mm lens, 90mm equivalent, so there is not really enough magnification to see much moon terrain. If you find some eclipse shots you can see the terrain on the edge easily. It, I think, is actually there and of course the atmosphere has made it less than sharp.

There are people getting very good results with webcams through telescopes doing things like the moon because they can throw away the atmosphere smudged frames and keep only the good ones. Stacking the good ones, and the software will make the choices if you want, gives quite amazing shots with quite pitiful cameras.

I took over 60 shots to get the one I chose and I think it's just a trick of the air that allowed the towers on that mountain to be visible.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:19 pm

I took some pictures at a skate park the other day, some with each lens. I didn't take very many because there were too many kids skating. I'll have to go back early some morning because it is a neat photography subject that I could probably spend two hours photographing. I didn't spend much time in post, being mainly interested in composition. Colors might seem weird - it was about an hour before sundown. Click for the set.

TheEmrys

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:08 pm

I like the set. I would have liked to have seen skaters, though. You could really have some fun with shutter speed with that. Set your dial to S, and then your front forefinger wheel will allow you to slow and accelerate your shutter speed. A fast shutter speed will freeze time, and a slow one will give you some nice blur.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:09 pm

Those are nice. Texture, form and light. Like the kids shadows.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:18 pm

PenGun wrote:
Like the kids shadows.

Heh, I got them to pose for me. I wasn't comfortable taking direct pictures of a bunch of kids that I didn't know. But the thought crossed my mind to go back there and do some actual "action" photography. Who knows, maybe the kids' parents would pay me some beer money :lol:

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:22 pm

Added another... don't know why I left this out the first time...

TheEmrys

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:33 pm

flip-mode wrote:
Added another... don't know why I left this out the first time...

This and the shadows might be my favorites.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:09 pm

flip-mode wrote:
PenGun wrote:
Like the kids shadows.

Heh, I got them to pose for me. I wasn't comfortable taking direct pictures of a bunch of kids that I didn't know. But the thought crossed my mind to go back there and do some actual "action" photography. Who knows, maybe the kids' parents would pay me some beer money :lol:

I've thought about doing that- soliciting on the spot in various ways, along the lines of $2/shot processed or something with a minimum of five, or $5 for three processed shots, and just collecting cash and emails (with shot references) as I go.

Only thing I'd really want to do is have a business card of some sort to reassure people; that's on the list!

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:01 am

I shot and am post-processing a boatload of photos from my roadtrip between Colorado and Oregon last week, but so far these are the most striking. These were taken along I-84/Hwy30 in and near Lime, Oregon, all using a Canon 7D body and a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS with the IS switched off:

No leprechauns were harmed in the making of that fourth photo. More to come, but I've got a lot of sorting and short evenings right now, so could be a while...
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:39 am

We're posting screenshots from RAGE now? 8) Love the pics. The first one is fantastically framed and has wonderful detail, and the subject is kinda fascinating - I've been looking at it for 5 minutes. The second one is great - I like the structure - I want to see another shot of this one taken from closer in such that the subject busts the frame (a crop obviously doesn't give the same perspective effect as actually being closer):

I like the textures of the rock in the 3rd pic. The 4th pic is absolutely a wall-hanger (but, curiously, I just realized it's also the one I looked at the least). Were these my pics I'd print the first and the last large format and put them on the wall. I need to print more of my stuff....

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Another new set. Had some spare time after work today, stopped at a park on the way home. Really challenging lighting - very overcast sky, rain, that long lens, and my notoriously shaky hands. Still got lucky a couple times. Took over 100 shots, kept maybe 1/10. I need to keep a tripod in my car for serendipitous occasions. I did as little post processing as possible.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:09 pm

[quote=flip-mode]I did as little post processing as possible.[/quote]
Any particular reason? "Challenging light" is one of the reasons to post-process. For example, that silo picture which you liked so much came out of the camera looking relatively gray and drab due to the sun being behind the clouds. The sky was blue, but not that blue, and there was very little contrast between the silos and the mountains behind them. Tweaking the brightness and contrast settings, and cranking the color saturation way up, made it pop out.

Anything can be overdone, including post processing, but the goal should be to get the image you want, not whatever the camera settings grabbed.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:06 am

ludi wrote:
Any particular reason?

No, there was no reason in particular that I avoided PP. Just wasn't feeling it at the moment.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:31 pm

I now have 6 RAW processors in both Windows and Lunix. They are all different and I'm liking the Capture One so far although it is broken. ;) It does not make much difference really although they are not exactly the same.

I try to nail the exposure and I will bracket the hell out of stuff I really want. I should use the Fuji's auto stuff but I never remember. I also shoot a bunch of different focus settings for, again, important stuff. You can do focus stacking which I have material for, but have never got to.

Yeah sometimes PP can just wait. ;)

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:35 am

Focus stacking? Cool.

I played with the office's Nikon D5100 yesterday and it made me appreciate Sony's EVF. It was funny to find myself changing settings on the Nikon and then looking through the viewfinder to see nothing looked different, only to facepalm and remind myself it's not an EVF. The a57 does have much better access to certain things like ISO and exposure. Also, I did an ISO test and was surprised to find that, in my opinion, the D5100's noise was worse than the a57's. I'm not going out of my way to knock the D5100, which seems like a great camera, I'm just appreciating the strengths of the a57. An interesting thing about the D5100 is that it has an image touch up menu where several PP operations can be done by the camera. That seems handy and sounds like maybe your Fuji has some of the same, PenGun. The a57 has none of that.

SecretSquirrel

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:14 pm

flip-mode wrote:
The a57 does have much better access to certain things like ISO and exposure.

That's one of the big reasons I went with the D7100. All the image settings are available via a single dedicated button to select and a scroll wheel to change. Once you commit the button positions to muscle memory, you can pretty much change any setting of importance without taking the camera away from your eye. Not a big deal for controlled environments or "still life" type shots. For those of us doing fast action work, it's wonderful.

--SS

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Just uploaded a few new shots to Flickr. I have a bunch still to process from a trip 1.5 months ago. I'm not sure I'm going to get to them, and I'm not sure I mind too much. Focus screen was giving me issues, which made MF a pain, and my only AF lens is the kit lens which isn't great. I'd like to upgrade that ( the EF-S 17-55 would be nice) and my long zoom, but I'm trying to save up for a car right now, so camera gear is going to be on hold for a long while. Photos were just run through LR5. I hit auto-tone for most, and that was about it.

IMG_2753 by emerson.robert

The lead photo is Austin, TX at night from under the Congress Ave. Bridge. The rest are either from Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center or my parents' backyard.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:04 pm

Ludi, you inspired me to get out and take some pictures of a structure with this picture:

I hope you'll see the resemblance... :D I'm uploading the images to Flickr now and I'll post when it's ready... and the clouds were amazing this morning....

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:07 pm

Thing I forgot to ask. Does anyone have any tips for shooting fireworks? With the 4th rapidly approaching, I'd like to be ready, if I'm not actively lighting them off.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:35 pm

lonleyppl wrote:
Thing I forgot to ask. Does anyone have any tips for shooting fireworks? With the 4th rapidly approaching, I'd like to be ready, if I'm not actively lighting them off.

Fireworks are tough. Start with a very steady tripod, remote release, and a low-noise sensor seeing as the exposure times will be long. Cameras with good high-ISO performance are important too, which excludes my Oly 4/3.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Here is the link to the set, called "Silent Silo", and I'll pick some to post below, even though I'm tempted to post every shot :lol: Dunno, I just had a lot of fun taking these and think they turned out pretty neat...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95096101@N ... 393447783/

So, I don't even know which shot to lead off with because I can't pick a favorite. When I first got to the site, the clouds were nothing special, but within 30 minute some fascinating clouds started rolling in, so I started trying to emphasize them by underexposing. I got as low as -3ev and 1/4000, which is as fast as the a57 will shoot. All but one of the pictures in the set have been carefully PP'd. I probably spent an hour in PP with the set. I'll state ahead of time that I could not get as close to the structure as Ludi could get to his. With that, I think I'll lead off with the closest shot I could get, even though I have to say this one is definitely not my fav:

So most of the pictures make it seem like the structure is, well, in the jungle or something. I want to post these next three shots because they are taken from exactly the same place, looking north, then east, then south, and I think it's amazing how the landscape changes by merely turning your head. The clouds in the second shot are just sick. It was even better in person.

I'm going to post this grass shot. I can't say why I like it as much as I do. But other than lens correction, there is no post processing applied to this shot. It just seemed kinda perfectly exposed:

OK, I'll stop there. I need to go pick up some beer anyway :lol: But I'm curious to know of anyone's favorite from the set. I'm thinking of printing one, but can't decide...

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:05 pm

lonleyppl wrote:

That is a great set, sir. I had to fav a few.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:27 pm

If you want an image of the fireworks streaked across the sky as they fall, you'll want a tripod, a remote shutter release and something like f/16 with a low ISO setting. If you shoot at f/2.8 with a high ISO setting, the show is probably bright enough for hand-held photography, but you'll freeze the action of the fireworks, too.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2