4K monitor for <$700 ?

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

4K monitor for <$700 ?

Postposted on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:17 pm

I see 4K 39" panels are well under $500 and seiki is releasing a TV based on the panel this month for $699

We are getting very close to having a 4K revolution !

Today HDMI 1.4 , Q HD (3840x2160) 39" with HDMI 1.3 , $699

'Tomorrow' Quad HD 32" panels with HDMI 2.0 for <$800
Last edited by sschaem on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:05 am

Re: 4K monitor for <$700 ?

Postposted on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:22 pm

Since we already have the 55" Seiki available at retail for $1500, and $1200 on sale, I'd say that the smaller, cheaper models are probably already on the boat. The only real question is whether or not they included DisplayPort or a DVI/HDMI bonding option so that the panels can be run at full resolution, color depth and refresh rate.
Canon 6D|24-105/4L IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|24/2.8 IS USM|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5113
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Re: 4K monitor for <$700 ?

Postposted on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Looks like we need DP 1.2 on the next ones... after that, well, that covers 60hz, might need something even higher bandwidth if we want 120hz-- but hell I ain't complaining!

Now if I could get 4k at 22" or 24"...
continuum
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:42 am
Location: California

Re: 4K monitor for <$700 ?

Postposted on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:24 pm

McDonalds has $1 burgers.
I don't recall eating at McDonalds in about ten years but I do know that I've had burgers since then. They were not, however, $1.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4376
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Re: 4K monitor for <$700 ?

Postposted on Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:04 pm

danny e. wrote:McDonalds has $1 burgers.
I don't recall eating at McDonalds in about ten years but I do know that I've had burgers since then. They were not, however, $1.


Your trolling would be more effective if it were... applicable to the OP.
Canon 6D|24-105/4L IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|24/2.8 IS USM|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5113
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Re: 4K monitor for <$700 ?

Postposted on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:22 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
danny e. wrote:McDonalds has $1 burgers.
I don't recall eating at McDonalds in about ten years but I do know that I've had burgers since then. They were not, however, $1.


Your trolling would be more effective if it were... applicable to the OP.

:roll: really?

Seiki == McDonalds dollar menu.

Not McDonalds dollar menu:
http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-PNK321-32IN ... B00C49R198

You're not going to get great quality 4K monitors for 700 bucks when good quality 2560x1600 monitors cost $1,200 and good quality 1920x1200 monitors are $400+ still.
Last edited by danny e. on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4376
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Re: 4K monitor for <$700 ?

Postposted on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:25 pm

I'm not expecting 'great' quality from Seiki; but hell, they did ship a 55", 4k, 120Hz capable (panel at least) IPS TV for $1200 when Sony, Sharp, Samsung and LG had just started getting their $4000+ TV's into the stores.

If the Seiki had the electronics to run 4k at 60Hz... well, I'd own one. I'm sure it can be calibrated.
Canon 6D|24-105/4L IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|24/2.8 IS USM|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5113
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Re: 4K monitor for <$700 ?

Postposted on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:35 pm

Airmantharp wrote:I'm not expecting 'great' quality from Seiki; but hell, they did ship a 55", 4k, 120Hz capable (panel at least) IPS TV for $1200 when Sony, Sharp, Samsung and LG had just started getting their $4000+ TV's into the stores.

If the Seiki had the electronics to run 4k at 60Hz... well, I'd own one. I'm sure it can be calibrated.

It is certainly nice to see competition and it will lead to price drops across the board a lot faster.

I think we're still a couple years off from "mass market" 4K but it is nice to see things moving in the right direction.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4376
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Re: 4K monitor for <$700 ?

Postposted on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:59 pm

danny e. wrote:I think we're still a couple years off from "mass market" 4K but it is nice to see things moving in the right direction.


You're right about that. We can't even broadcast 1080p in the States yet; and we might just skip it. The trump card here, though, will be the 'cable' companies. So many have put in the infrastructure so that when H.265 really takes off all they'll really have to do is change the boxes at each end; and even that will be cheap on the customer side, as the ARM SoC's can already do that decoding.
Canon 6D|24-105/4L IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|24/2.8 IS USM|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5113
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Re: 4K monitor for <$700 ?

Postposted on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:12 am

Airmantharp wrote:
danny e. wrote:I think we're still a couple years off from "mass market" 4K but it is nice to see things moving in the right direction.


You're right about that. We can't even broadcast 1080p in the States yet; and we might just skip it.


HD adoption took a very long time for most channels. Where I lived, we didn't see a full range of HD cable channels until around 2009. This was Time Warner Cable so it was probably pretty representative. I'm afraid that 4K will be similarly slow. In Japan, on the other hand, NHK plans to start broadcasting in 4K in 2014!
kumori
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:11 am

Re: 4K monitor for <$700 ?

Postposted on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:58 am

kumori wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
danny e. wrote:I think we're still a couple years off from "mass market" 4K but it is nice to see things moving in the right direction.


You're right about that. We can't even broadcast 1080p in the States yet; and we might just skip it.


HD adoption took a very long time for most channels. Where I lived, we didn't see a full range of HD cable channels until around 2009. This was Time Warner Cable so it was probably pretty representative. I'm afraid that 4K will be similarly slow. In Japan, on the other hand, NHK plans to start broadcasting in 4K in 2014!


Contrast that with LTE adoption; diferent spectrum, but man did they get it out fast.
Canon 6D|24-105/4L IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|24/2.8 IS USM|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5113
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Re: 4K monitor for <$700 ?

Postposted on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:28 am

So those $380 27" 2560x1440 IPS monitor are complete utter crap because Dell sale their 27" monitor for $800 ?

Reality, those $1200 55" model are used by video professional, those are not cheap end of the line TN panels.

You are still going to find the 30bit, super refine panel in $5000 model, but for desktop users we are already past the point of 'perfect' quality.
So the #1 issue is the hdmi1.4 limitation. But its clear, quality ~30" 4K monitor can be made and sold for ~$700, today.

And for burgers? I paid $20 for lame burgers, and yet had amazing ones for $3. Life leson ? overpriced != good
sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:05 am

Re: 4K monitor for <$700 ?

Postposted on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:20 pm

kumori wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
danny e. wrote:I think we're still a couple years off from "mass market" 4K but it is nice to see things moving in the right direction.


You're right about that. We can't even broadcast 1080p in the States yet; and we might just skip it.


HD adoption took a very long time for most channels. Where I lived, we didn't see a full range of HD cable channels until around 2009. This was Time Warner Cable so it was probably pretty representative. I'm afraid that 4K will be similarly slow. In Japan, on the other hand, NHK plans to start broadcasting in 4K in 2014!


My provider in Montreal, Videotron, still only does 720p and 1080i as far as I know. Unless upgrading to a more modern terminal allows 1080p and I never got the memo, full HD has never happened here AFAIK.
i7 3820 @ 4.4, Custom Water Loop | ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 8GB G.Skill 1638mhz
GTX 970 @ 1465 | BenQ 24" 120Hz | Samsung 840 250GB | 2x2TB Toshiba | Win 8.1 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Corsair TX850V2 | Fractal Arc Midi R2
Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: 4K monitor for <$700 ?

Postposted on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:39 pm

danny e. wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:I'm not expecting 'great' quality from Seiki; but hell, they did ship a 55", 4k, 120Hz capable (panel at least) IPS TV for $1200 when Sony, Sharp, Samsung and LG had just started getting their $4000+ TV's into the stores.

If the Seiki had the electronics to run 4k at 60Hz... well, I'd own one. I'm sure it can be calibrated.

It is certainly nice to see competition and it will lead to price drops across the board a lot faster.

I think we're still a couple years off from "mass market" 4K but it is nice to see things moving in the right direction.


4k won't be anywhere near mass market until some 4k content is out there. And the only realistic medium for delivering such high bandwidth content is the internet, and only those on uncapped fiber will be able to realistically use it. I don't even recall seeing anything other than tech demos and short clips being produced and distributed in 4k resolution.

We're still far away from getting the mass market to adopt the tech. It needs content to be readily available, enough people capable of downloading it and hardware cheap enough to appeal to more than the 1%.
Farting Bob
Gerbil First Class
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:28 pm

Re: 4K monitor for <$700 ?

Postposted on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:50 pm

4K on the acquisition side and production side is A.Ready.

With some of wimbledon being provided in 4K, it doesn't take much for the next Superbowl to be fully produced in 4K.

As you know many provider already have 3D broadcast. This required new HW and higher bandwidth allocation.
Comcast for example can open premium channel using the same bandwidth as 3D but move it to 4K instead.
Provider wont allocated this bandwidth for cspan, but I can see one HBO4K coming and most likely the main broadcast of the Olympics.

I can totally see sport fans running to get a 65+" 4K TV for the ultimate Superbowl experience... if we have 55" for $1200, 65" might start at $1600.

Netflix also is producing in 4K, and said to start 4K broadcast trial this year.
Netflix still support SD... but if you have 20+mbits connection (and suitable HW), 4K will be an option.

Also Blu-ray on Ps4/xbox might support an official blu-ray 4K format. but thats unclear.
sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:05 am


Return to General Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests