Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Omniman
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Graphics Overhaul

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:18 pm

I've decided I want to upgrade my current 27" screen since it's starting to really act up. First things first I'm going to upgrade my Geforce GTX 570 to a Geforce GTX 780. My big contemplation right now is should I stick with a 27" and just get a WQHD version or go with this LG I found which seems to go on sale quite often see the link below:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824005396

I would lose some height but gain some display length. I'm also questioning if games will barf from the strange resolution?
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Graphics Overhaul

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:43 pm

My experience with all sorts of things is to stick to the standard aspect ratio. When 5:4 (1280x1024) became popular, it was a problem. When 16:10 gained traction, it was a problem.

Some games (only a few) will barf at a weird resolution, but most of them will run fine. However, even if they do run fine, there are constantly problems related to overdraw and clipping. Multiplayer games sometimes clip rather than extend your view to avoid an unfair advantage. Other times a sloppy port from console titles means that HUD or offscreen elements don't draw as expected. In general the big AAA titles are good but the really cool stuff is the indie scene and these guys don't often have the resources to fine tune their products for weird niche products.

Most TV shows are recorded and optimised for 16:9. If you're a big movie fan, the 21:9 will help, but you're usually better off using an HDTV anyway (sofa > chair and, uh, it's 50" and not 29" so the picture is better even when you're letterboxing).

For what it's worth, 27" QHD is gorgeous.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:49 am

I'd stick with a 16:9 or 16:10 panel. I'd be worried that a monitor this wide would make playing FPS with a limited field of view a little strange.

That panel actually has a smaller area than a 27in panel. I also noticed that it has a 14ms response time which is rather high.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:07 am

kumori wrote:
I'd stick with a 16:9 or 16:10 panel. I'd be worried that a monitor this wide would make playing FPS with a limited field of view a little strange.

That panel actually has a smaller area than a 27in panel. I also noticed that it has a 14ms response time which is rather high.

This. I use a 16:10 30" panel, and I could get by with 16:9 (I hate using that on a desktop) for gaming. Wider is actually better when the games support it, but as mentioned above, game developers (more so publishers) are lazy, and stuff gets left broken. So I wouldn't go any wider than 16:9 like a TV, since that's now the standard for gaming.

Also remember that panels get smaller per diagonal unit of measure with wider aspect ratios. A 27" 16:9 (1080p/1440p) is a physically smaller screen than a 27" 16:10 1200p screen. 21:9 is real bad; they're almost cheating listing it like they are.

Omniman
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:10 am

Now I'm contemplating getting the 27" Dell since it's 450 bucks off until Monday. I'm just curious on the reviews of the anti glare screen.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... -5-nil-nil
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Omniman wrote:
Now I'm contemplating getting the 27" Dell since it's 450 bucks off until Monday. I'm just curious on the reviews of the anti glare screen.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... -5-nil-nil

It's better than the one used in the 30" Dell U3011/HP ZR30w. I use the Dells at work and the HP at home, and while it's not 'in your face' when you're staring at a non-white screen, it is noticeable when staring at white. You'll see it when browsing folders and using office applications, and in my case, when someone points a tactical flashlight in your face :).

Basically the 27" (U2711?) is a positive go, as is the latest U3014, which uses an even better version of the anti-glare technology. The 27" is actually affordable. Just don't expect these panels to be sheets of glass; they're designed to be used in a lit room for actual work and stuff :).