Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

TR Board spammer needs to go away

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:24 am

Is there something that can be done about the annoying person that keeps making posts with links to videos and stuff? The annoying posts get removed pretty fast but preventing them in the first place would be nice. I know blocking a ISP number does not work as well as it used to, since they can change the number pretty easily, but what about blocking any connections from the internet service provider that this person is using? I know its cutting off everyone and not just the guilty party but maybe the innocent will pressure the ISP to fix the problem.

I am probably showing my ignorance but that's one of the main reasons I visit this forum, to learn what I don't know.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: TR Board spammer needs to go away

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:29 am

I don't think the spammer is a person, but a bot (or bots). I know there's a thread about it somethwere, as well as a discussion on the difficulties of preventing bots from posting. The best thing you can do is immediately report the thread. As soon as a mod sees it, they can kill the account and all the threads by that bot account will dissappear.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:37 am

superjawes wrote:
I don't think the spammer is a person, but a bot (or bots). I know there's a thread about it somethwere, as well as a discussion on the difficulties of preventing bots from posting. The best thing you can do is immediately report the thread. As soon as a mod sees it, they can kill the account and all the threads by that bot account will dissappear.

Ding ding ding.

The other takeaway is not to post a response in a SPAM thread. Makes cleaning it up more difficult.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:37 am

Captain Ned wrote:
superjawes wrote:

Ding ding ding.

The other takeaway is not to post a response in a SPAM thread. Makes cleaning it up more difficult.

That much I figured, hence the new topic.

Could it be made more difficult to register for a bot by adding in a tool where they have to enter in some letters and numbers on a background of squiggly lines and such? Not sure what those are called for sure but I see them on other forums registration process and it seems to work.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:25 pm

Khali wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
superjawes wrote:

Ding ding ding.

That much I figured, hence the new topic.

Could it be made more difficult to register for a bot by adding in a tool where they have to enter in some letters and numbers on a background of squiggly lines and such? Not sure what those are called for sure but I see them on other forums registration process and it seems to work.

I'd be ok with this. Just don't make it one of those hard to read images (where squiggly line goes right through the letter so it distorts the letter)
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Khali wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Yes, it's possible to add a CAPTCHA to the registration process (maybe TR does this now, it's been a while since I've registered~), but the other thing TR tries to avoid is the use of plugins or mods to the default board setup, as this greatly complicates upgrading the forum to harden it against security issues.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:44 pm

We've already discussed this to death in the other topic:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79585
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:44 pm

TR has automatic bot protections (you can see it for yourself when creating new account), unfortunately they do nothing against "human bots" who can actually understand English well enough to answer the "challenge" questions... Would've been awesome if there was a restriction for posting any links for new accounts, but I guess it's not possible with the current phpBB version...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:55 pm

JohnC wrote:
Would've been awesome if there was a restriction for posting any links for new accounts, but I guess it's not possible with the current phpBB version...

I don't know anything about phpBB, but a little googling found a forum describing their new user policies. They appear to be using phpBB.

http://forum.openkm.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5121

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:04 pm

kumori wrote:
JohnC wrote:
Would've been awesome if there was a restriction for posting any links for new accounts, but I guess it's not possible with the current phpBB version...
I don't know anything about phpBB, but a little googling found a forum describing their new user policies. They appear to be using phpBB.

http://forum.openkm.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5121

The ability to do this exists. It has been debated many times amongst the TR admin/mod community and the decision has always been not to limit new posters from posting URLs because we didn't want to appear so unwelcoming to new posters looking for help. We know it increases spam and our heroic forum techie Morphine has given us a 1-click perma-kill solution for the spam that does come through.

In short, it's not a bug, it's a feature.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

MrBojangles
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:19 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

In short, it's not a bug, it's a feature.

please explain that to the people at microsoft that "fixed" the start menu registry hack.
Amd Phenom 2 560(unlocked to 4 cores at 3.8ghz),xfx Radeon 6870 (ty again tr ^^ ),Cooler master haf case, 4gb of drr3 1600 ram, win7 ultimate 64bit

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:13 am

Captain Ned wrote:
1-click perma-kill solution

You will need to know this TR lingo to be considered a real gerbil, in addition to the origin of the term gerbil of course.. ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.