Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

bender
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Windows 8.1 Taskbar on left

Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:38 am

I've decided to try the Win 8.1 preview in a virtual machine to see how I feel about it. So far seems pretty nice.

Thing is: I like my taskbar on the left. No prob - win8 allows that. Unfortunately, the bottom-left corner of the screen has *another* start button that appears where I would normally go to 'show desktop'. Show desktop is still there, but I can't go all the way to the corner to use it ... quite the shock when you expect to see a desktop and instead you get the start screen (ugh).

Why MS thinks that I need two start buttons is beyond me (trying to compensate for the lack of any in 8.0?) ... but my question is: can I disable the bottom-left start button?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Windows 8.1 Taskbar on left

Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:49 am

File a bug?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:06 am

Having just played with it on my own, what it does for me is when I bring my mouse into the bottom left corner, it appears. And when I put my mouse in the upper left corner, the multitasking stuff appears, just like when the taskbar is at the bottom. The function of the corners doesn't change when you move the taskbar. Same thing happens on the right - the taskbar is nearly unusable thanks to the charms bar. I have a feeling they're going to say that's not a bug, that's just how Windows works.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

bender
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:08 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Having just played with it on my own, what it does for me is when I bring my mouse into the bottom left corner, it appears. And when I put my mouse in the upper left corner, the multitasking stuff appears, just like when the taskbar is at the bottom. The function of the corners doesn't change when you move the taskbar. Same thing happens on the right - the taskbar is nearly unusable thanks to the charms bar. I have a feeling they're going to say that's not a bug, that's just how Windows works.

If you right click on the taskbar and select properties you can turn off both the top-left and top-right corners ... just not the bottom left, it appears, for some reason.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:20 am

We have the taskbar positioned at the top of the screen on my wife's Thinkpad X230T so that we don't accidentally launch items with our palms when writing with the stylus. Hot corner behaviour does not move with the taskbar ("Why would it?", asks Microsoft. "Why are you using the desktop at all? The future is Metrooooo~..." /dying wail).
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:52 pm

I installed the Windows 8.1 beta today and I must say it is running very nicely and the improvements to the UI are nice. Like it a lot more than the original install. No issues gaming and it runs smooth.
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:00 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I have a feeling they're going to say that's not a bug, that's just how Windows works.

Suck it, user. Give us more money.

Love, Microsoft
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.