Next gen gaming = AMD CPU/GPU?

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Re: Next gen gaming = AMD CPU/GPU?

Postposted on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:30 pm

Nec_V20 wrote:
I'm not going to challenge the veracity of your statement; I fully believe your experience. I will say, though, that your experience is likely far from average, and that being more specific would help us better understand your stated experience and argument(s) that it underpins.


I should have been clearer, I'm sorry about that. If it were just me having bad experiences then I might chalk that up to bad karma.

One of the most respected - actually the most respected - Computer Magazines is the German "C't Magazin" which has been going for nearly three decades now. It was they who uncovered how systematic the practice was by Nvidia to the point where they would no longer publish any benchmark results but rather used real world applications and games to see if the drivers delivered with newly released Nvidia cards would run without a BSOD. Regularly the cards would fail and whereas other magazines were gushing about the speed of the new cards the C't Magazine would once again call Nvidia out for fraud.

BTW the C't Magazin is the only computer magazine which makes a profit purely from the sale of the magazine itself and is not reliant upon advertising. Over the years companies who got bad reviews threatened to pull their advertising and the magazine responded essentially with, "Don't let the door slam you in the ass on the way out".

As I said this went on for a period of many years.


But you strongly imply it's still happening today, which is obviously not the case unless you didn't realize that all the respectable reviewers have been using 'real game benchmarks' for years?
For all I know they might still be doing it, I don't know and don't care any more because their policy thoroughly sickened me off them and I don't even look at them any more.


But if you want to talk about the ancient (in technology years) past, don't forget about ATI's Quake/Quack cheating. So, if you apply your reasoning fairly...enjoy your Matrox video card.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: In my head...

Re: Next gen gaming = AMD CPU/GPU?

Postposted on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:07 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:But if you want to talk about the ancient (in technology years) past, don't forget about ATI's Quake/Quack cheating. So, if you apply your reasoning fairly...enjoy your Matrox video card.


Damn MMO, that made me chuckle.


Only because it's the truth.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Maximum Gerbil
 
Posts: 4956
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Re: Next gen gaming = AMD CPU/GPU?

Postposted on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:12 pm

But you strongly imply it's still happening today, which is obviously not the case unless you didn't realize that all the respectable reviewers have been using 'real game benchmarks' for years?


When benchmarks are introduced then they purport to measure the performance of a certain piece of hardware, software or process. However that benchmark being published, used and gaining "credibility" then could, and I repeat COULD, prejudice the developers of drivers to tailor their drivers to optimising for what is specifically measured and not for what is not.

The benchmarks with regard to the period that I gave a crap about Nvidia graphic cards changed, but in the real world, with boring regularity, BSODs of Nvidia cards continued.

So no, this was not a "once off" or a "time limited" thing - it was a continuous fraud, which the computer magazines were willing participants in, with regard to advertising revenue.

I already said that I don't care about Nvidia any more because years of this continuing fraud on their part with no remorse or discontinuation of their fraud has sickened me off to this day.

Nvidia for YEARS acted against my interests as a potential customer of their wares that I am no longer interested in any wares they may offer because of their active pursuit of a fraud detrimental to my interests in the past.

So which part of my post did you not understand?

And yes, I do bear grudges. Why should I consider proven liars of the past to be honest people now?
CoolerMaster HAF X, i7-990x, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, 24GB Corsair XMS, Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X, Corsair Neutron 128GB, 3*Seagate HD (3TB), Seagate HD (1.5TB), Hitachi HD (2TB), Plextor DVD + BluRay, StorageWorks DAT 72, 29160 SCSI Adapter, Corsair H80
Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:06 am

Re: Next gen gaming = AMD CPU/GPU?

Postposted on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:54 pm

"Blah, blah, blah, some paid shill magazine said Nvidia is :evil: !" :roll:

Guess what? I've been personally using Nvidia-based cards since GeForce2 (was great card... had **** OEM fan which I later replaced with some Pentium HSF with Sanyo fan using a little bit of CrazyGlue mixed in with thermal paste), almost every subsequent generation of them (I did skip Fermi-based 400-series cards out of curiosity towards AMD cards), for YEARS, never had a SINGLE issue with BSOD's. One card was DOA, had to send it back to EVGA, who took care of it. Other than this - not a single issue, especially with drivers, with all of the games I've played - FPS, RPG, RTS, MMORPG. Did some people had issues with them? Yes. Did I care about these people? Not in the slightest, because I value my personal experience more. I just continued enjoying my cards and still do to this very day with my Titan-based card (which replaced my GTX680 card).

I feel sorry for you that you still hold some petty grudge against some hardware manufacturer simply because some random magazine said that their products are ultimately "bad"...
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: NY/NJ/FL

Re: Next gen gaming = AMD CPU/GPU?

Postposted on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:24 am

JohnC wrote:"Blah, blah, blah, some paid shill magazine said Nvidia is :evil: !" :roll:


With the ignorance you displayed in that statement I now have a very good idea what anything else you say is worth, namely absolutely nothing.

Volume 18 page 163 column 3-4 from 1998 of this "shill magazine" as you call it enabled me to resolve thousands of outstanding escalated enterprise disaster recovery tech-support calls and led to the manufacturers of tape drives changing the default SCSI ID of their drives from ID6 to ID5. A few customers were sceptical about the tech-support engineer (me) of a software company pointing to a hardware cause and solution for their Event IDs 9 and 11 (tape drive) I/O errors until I pointed them to the article (and a lot of Net/SysAdmins had back issues going back years) and when they looked it up for themselves they gladly went to work with their screwdrivers on the offending drive. Such is the reputation of the magazine that no more questions were asked or protests uttered.

The magazine has been published since 1983 and although many companies (for instance IBM) have tried to sue the magazine through the years they have all failed in court.
CoolerMaster HAF X, i7-990x, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, 24GB Corsair XMS, Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X, Corsair Neutron 128GB, 3*Seagate HD (3TB), Seagate HD (1.5TB), Hitachi HD (2TB), Plextor DVD + BluRay, StorageWorks DAT 72, 29160 SCSI Adapter, Corsair H80
Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:06 am

Re: Next gen gaming = AMD CPU/GPU?

Postposted on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:02 pm

:lol: I take it your "favorite" magazine never wrote anything about the definition of the word "sarcasm" or any good articles regarding a "sense of humor" :roll: ... But, whatever, keep on mindlessly living someone else's lives. I prefer to live my own.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: NY/NJ/FL

Re: Next gen gaming = AMD CPU/GPU?

Postposted on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:13 pm

JohnC wrote::lol: I take it your "favorite" magazine never wrote anything about the definition of the word "sarcasm" or any good articles regarding a "sense of humor" :roll: ... But, whatever, keep on mindlessly living someone else's lives. I prefer to live my own.


I am autistic, I have what is known as Asperger's Syndrome, so I actually do have problems with what is known as "sarcasm". I liken the affects of my autism upon me as being similar to colour blindness, where someone sees everything that everyone else sees but some colours just don't register. However I didn't and don't interpret what you wrote as anything other than the articulation of malignant ignorance.

I have been a techie for 30 years now and back in the early eighties one did not have the luxuries the Internet now offers with regard to information and one had to find a periodical one could trust to give untainted and untarnished information. Over the years and decades since it was first published in 1983 the C't Magazin has proven to be a reliable and unbiased source of information for me.

Your ignorance could be ameliorated by the fact that the magazine is only available in my native German language and you barely seem to comprehend your own given your complete misrepresentation of a post which I thought I had written in plain, clear English. On the other hand your replies could just be a result of malicious recto-cranial ad hominem hunting and pecking on your keyboard; you have nothing to say, so you say it as insultingly as possible. As an example of "sarcasm" your replies seem more akin to a sow's ear than a silk purse.

The second part of your reply just doesn't make any sense. Who knows, perhaps English isn't your native language.
CoolerMaster HAF X, i7-990x, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, 24GB Corsair XMS, Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X, Corsair Neutron 128GB, 3*Seagate HD (3TB), Seagate HD (1.5TB), Hitachi HD (2TB), Plextor DVD + BluRay, StorageWorks DAT 72, 29160 SCSI Adapter, Corsair H80
Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:06 am

Re: Next gen gaming = AMD CPU/GPU?

Postposted on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:01 pm

Nec_V20 wrote: Magazine has proven to be a unbiased source of information for me.

There is no such thing, my dear naive friend :wink: Magazines are written by people and we all have (myself included) personal bias based on personal experience which may not reflect the experience of many other people of same product :wink: That is why I actually prefer to purchase products and try them out myself, be it either computer hardware, cars or books/games/movies. For example, the Creative Labs soundcards were known to cause issues for some people and some magazines also complained about them BUT they never caused any issues in my particular system (even when using same hardware as the people with issues used) and I was a happy user of their products ever since SB Live and I happily purchased the current SoundBlaster Z.

Nec_V20 wrote:
You have nothing to say, so you say it as insultingly as possible.

You hear but you don't listen... The fact that many of Nvidia product users (including my own personal experience) never had issues with BSODs (or even any issues at all, software or hardware) makes the accusations by a single magazine extremely "subjective" which no rational person should solely rely upon (even if magazine did actually experience these issues). And your personal petty grudges against them, such as "For all I know they might still be doing it, I don't know and don't care any more because their policy thoroughly sickened me off them and I don't even look at them any more" are downright laughable for same reason. I'm not implying you have no right to express them, of course - I am just being amused by people who do so, that is all.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: NY/NJ/FL

Re: Next gen gaming = AMD CPU/GPU?

Postposted on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:33 pm

@ Nec_V20 & JohnC - can we cut back on the bickering? Your discussion has spiraled so far away from the topic of this thread I wouldn't be surprised if it gets locked. There will always be arguments, but at least keep them civil. If you want to knock each others head off, find a parking lot.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1614
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: Next gen gaming = AMD CPU/GPU?

Postposted on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:40 pm

DPete27 wrote:@ Nec_V20 & JohnC - can we cut back on the bickering? Your discussion has spiraled so far away from the topic of this thread I wouldn't be surprised if it gets locked. There will always be arguments, but at least keep them civil. If you want to knock each others head off, find a parking lot.

Or PMs.

Thanks for listening.

[/mod voice]
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20068
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Next gen gaming = AMD CPU/GPU?

Postposted on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:04 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
DPete27 wrote:@ Nec_V20 & JohnC - can we cut back on the bickering? Your discussion has spiraled so far away from the topic of this thread I wouldn't be surprised if it gets locked. There will always be arguments, but at least keep them civil. If you want to knock each others head off, find a parking lot.

Or PMs.

Thanks for listening.

[/mod voice]


EDIT BY MOD - Captain Ned - Clear personal attack removed. Please take heed of Forum Rules #2 and #11.
Last edited by Captain Ned on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rule 2 violation
CoolerMaster HAF X, i7-990x, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, 24GB Corsair XMS, Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X, Corsair Neutron 128GB, 3*Seagate HD (3TB), Seagate HD (1.5TB), Hitachi HD (2TB), Plextor DVD + BluRay, StorageWorks DAT 72, 29160 SCSI Adapter, Corsair H80
Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:06 am

Previous

Return to Graphics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: continuum, Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests