W8 does not go to sleep automatically

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

W8 does not go to sleep automatically

Postposted on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:09 pm

W8 RTM won't go to sleep automatically even thouth the monitor does. I can let it go sleep manually. Help is appreciated.
churin
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: Atlanta/U.S.A.

Re: W8 does not go to sleep automatically

Postposted on Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:35 pm

if you have anti virus running in the background this can be the issue. i use avast because you can install the program, but turn the shields off. you can still scan for viruses by right clicking file/folder/device you wish to scan and select "scan with avast."
mobo: msi 970 g46
gpu: ati 4850 @ 750core/1100mem arctic cooling twin frozr cooler
cpu: 955be @ 3.8ghz @ 1.375v's 2.6ghz n/b 1.275 scythe scrt-1000
ram: 2x2 samsung hyko @ 800mhz @ 6-8-8-24
psu: corsair 650hx
hdd's: 500gb + 1tb( 16 and 32mb cache )samsung
mike_jonez
Gerbil
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:23 pm

Re: W8 does not go to sleep automatically

Postposted on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:37 pm

Try running "powercfg.exe -energy" at the command line. It will generate a report that will show if any devices/drivers are stopping the system from entering standby mode.
madlemming
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:22 pm

Re: W8 does not go to sleep automatically

Postposted on Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:13 pm

In addition some apps like media players (VLC for example) by default won't allow the computer to sleep when they're running (even if they're paused, not recording, or doing anything else).
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan
 
Posts: 9970
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: W8 does not go to sleep automatically

Postposted on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:36 pm

UberGerbil wrote:In addition some apps like media players (VLC for example) by default won't allow the computer to sleep when they're running (even if they're paused, not recording, or doing anything else).

VLC does not prevent a system from sleeping when playing a movie, when paused or when just sitting there twiddling its thumbs.
i7-3770K@4.7 | H100 | P8Z77-V PREMIUM | 16GB | 2 GTX 770 4GB SLI | M500 960GB | EVO 840 250GB | AX850 | Obsidian 550D | R.A.T. 9 | U2713H | U2711
End User
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: W8 does not go to sleep automatically

Postposted on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:46 pm

End User wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:In addition some apps like media players (VLC for example) by default won't allow the computer to sleep when they're running (even if they're paused, not recording, or doing anything else).

VLC does not prevent a system from sleeping when playing a movie, when paused or when just sitting there twiddling its thumbs.


i've watched entire movies w/o touching the mouse and vlc has never let the pc shut down. now, on a dvd menu, or just sitting there, then it will let the computer sleep.
mobo: msi 970 g46
gpu: ati 4850 @ 750core/1100mem arctic cooling twin frozr cooler
cpu: 955be @ 3.8ghz @ 1.375v's 2.6ghz n/b 1.275 scythe scrt-1000
ram: 2x2 samsung hyko @ 800mhz @ 6-8-8-24
psu: corsair 650hx
hdd's: 500gb + 1tb( 16 and 32mb cache )samsung
mike_jonez
Gerbil
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:23 pm

Re: W8 does not go to sleep automatically

Postposted on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:58 pm

mike_jonez wrote:
End User wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:In addition some apps like media players (VLC for example) by default won't allow the computer to sleep when they're running (even if they're paused, not recording, or doing anything else).

VLC does not prevent a system from sleeping when playing a movie, when paused or when just sitting there twiddling its thumbs.


i've watched entire movies w/o touching the mouse and vlc has never let the pc shut down. now, on a dvd menu, or just sitting there, then it will let the computer sleep.


churin wrote:W8 RTM won't go to sleep automatically even thouth the monitor does. I can let it go sleep manually. Help is appreciated.


Whoops.
i7-3770K@4.7 | H100 | P8Z77-V PREMIUM | 16GB | 2 GTX 770 4GB SLI | M500 960GB | EVO 840 250GB | AX850 | Obsidian 550D | R.A.T. 9 | U2713H | U2711
End User
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: W8 does not go to sleep automatically

Postposted on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:04 pm

i've just read that a number of people are having this problem with win 8. with win 8.1 preview some of these ppl are saying that the problem is fixed.
mobo: msi 970 g46
gpu: ati 4850 @ 750core/1100mem arctic cooling twin frozr cooler
cpu: 955be @ 3.8ghz @ 1.375v's 2.6ghz n/b 1.275 scythe scrt-1000
ram: 2x2 samsung hyko @ 800mhz @ 6-8-8-24
psu: corsair 650hx
hdd's: 500gb + 1tb( 16 and 32mb cache )samsung
mike_jonez
Gerbil
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:23 pm


Return to Windows

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests