Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

ms__
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Custom PC for Data Crunching and Image editing

Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:03 pm

Hello there.

I'm looking to build a custom pc for my need. I did my initial research and all I come across is a lot of gaming system configurations than a data crunching machine.

All I will do is

* A lot of programming (Compiling, building multiple component )

* huge data processing, crunching tons of data (think of big data , prime numbers processing etc.,)

* Occasional Image editing and rarely movie editing ( for my hobby )

Note: I will not do any gaming

I would be glad if anyone would help me to build a system which is good at all these and future proof (atleast for 5 years).

Counting on your opinions.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Custom PC for Data Crunching and Image editing

Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:09 pm

What is your budget for this build? What are your preferred vendors from which to buy your components?

Do you need peripherals like monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc.?

Do you need to access more than 32 GiB of memory for your data crunching? Are your applications so multi-threaded that you would benefit from having six, eight, twelve or sixteen CPU cores vs. four?

$350 Intel Core i7-4770K
and $175 -100 combo ASRock Z87 Extreme6
or $180 -100 combo Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H
or
$320 Intel Core i7-4770
and $148 -15 combo ASRock Z87M Extreme4

$145 -14½ code "HASMEM10" 2x8 GiB PC3-14900 AMD AP316G1869U2K (DDR3-1866, CAS 9, 1.5 V)
$0 Integrated CPU video
$0 Integrated motherboard audio
$409 27" 2560x1440 IPS LCD monitor
etc.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

peartart
Gerbil

Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:55 pm

yeah, basically you want a fairly high end gaming machine (meaning an i7 Intel processor) without the graphics card. I would get a non-K part, personally, since overclocking is for toys not for work.

The only catch might be if ECC memory is useful/needed for whatever data analysis you are doing. Then you need to consider Xeon or AMD CPUs.

ms__
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks for the questions JustAnEngineer.

JustAnEngineer wrote:

What is your budget for this build? What are your preferred vendors from which to buy your components?

I'm looking forward to spend anywhere between $800 to $1200 just for the build.

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Do you need peripherals like monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc.?

Yea, I'm thinking to buy 2x27" IPS monitor (I believe this would impact certain configuration).

I do have a wireless keyboard and mouse. And a decent inbuilt speaker is good for me (as I'm not going to use it as entertainment machine)

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Do you need to access more than 32 GiB of memory for your data crunching? Are your applications so multi-threaded that you would benefit from having six, eight, twelve or sixteen CPU cores vs. four?

Thats a good question. I believe a Quad or a Six core ( w/ 2 threads per core) should be good enough for my current need as of now , may expand later. But I do not have any idea on how much change should I make if I upgrade a current processor build (say quad) to higher end ( say eight or more).
And for memory, I feel a 32 Gig should be good enough coupled with a decent SSD.

I hope I gave some information so that you can guide me better.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:31 pm

That's plenty; my only concern after reading your listing and response is whether or not the Intel video will be fully up to the task; need to make sure that it can support two 1440p monitors when installed on the board of your choice (likely the Extreme4 JAE mentioned). Otherwise, it's plenty fast for everything listed including photo editing, as most photo editing vendors haven't yet gotten the wherewithal to usefully implement GPU acceleration* (Adobe, I'm looking at your lazy bum!).

But overall, your build is greatly simplified by not needing to overclock and not needing a GPU (I think).

*When they do, I personally have a pair of GTX670's that could use some more 'work'.

C-A_99
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:26 am

Built-in speakers don't seem to be common on monitors anymore. A cheap set of speakers, earbuds/headphones, or even USB speakers are good options if the monitor you end up getting lacks any audio functionality.

Monitors with rotating stands may be helpful. They're IPS's after all (thus shouldn't have viewing angle problems), and a vertical rotation is generally preferable for reading code.

For the peripherals, you might like a mechanical keyboard, if you find the investment to be worth it. Cheapest one right now is generally in $40-60 range on Monoprice; the price fluctuates quite a bit. As for mice, I like using cheaper gaming mice for non-gaming purposes, just something with a comfortable grip, 4th and 5th buttons for the thumb (quick browsing back and forth: I find it useful even for file browsing), and 1600-2000 DPI capable in order to move quickly and accurately between screens. I'm currently using a CM Storm Xornet. Of course, if the wireless mouse/keyboard do the job for you just fine, no need to buy more things, but the option's out there.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:36 am

Haswell's IGP and outputs obviously depend on the motherboard, but I doubt they'll have what you want.

Most of the Korean/Monoprice 27" 1440p screens require a Dual-Link DVI, each. If you can't find a motherboard that will combine connectors/adapters to provide two of those outputs, you can just get a low-end GPU like an HD6450 for around $25 that will boost your output options and give you the advantage of AMD's Eyefinity display drivers and associated functionality.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:15 pm

I would like some clarifications from the OP, mainly in terms of scale.

ms__ wrote:
Unless you are doing C/C++, Java/.NET is not going to take very long to build requiring lots of CPU. I/O should be satisfied by the SSD (but you have to make sure your source and temp files are on it). Your project is what, a handful, dozens, or hundreds of projects? Are you compiling your own Linux kernel, or Chrome/Firefox browser?

ms__ wrote:
* huge data processing, crunching tons of data (think of big data , prime numbers processing etc.,)
How big? Are you processing US census data? What package are you using? You can be dealing with large datasets in Excel, or you are doing simulations in Matlab, or some statistics stuff with SPSS. If it is possible, please list what software that you are using. Can the processing be done in vector algorithms in parallel, that GPU processing may be of use?

ms__ wrote:
Are we talking meme/lolcatz kind of bitmap editing, or 15MP+ photos with a ton of Photoshop filters? Some Photoshop filters are starting to use GPUs as well.

ms__ wrote:
As much as you think you are not gaming and don't need any "gaming GPUs", 2 out of your 3 use cases may have options that begin to utilize GPU for accelerated processing. You will need to let us know what software you are dealing with and how you are processing your data (only share if you can of course, if you are under NDA/gag order) so we will see if you need higher end GPUs. As others have stated, 2x dual-DVI cards are in order if you are going for 1440p 27" monitors, this pretty much means you need to go discrete and it can't be the cheapest cards.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

ms__
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:04 pm

Flying Fox wrote:

ms__ wrote:
Unless you are doing C/C++, Java/.NET is not going to take very long to build requiring lots of CPU. I/O should be satisfied by the SSD (but you have to make sure your source and temp files are on it). Your project is what, a handful, dozens, or hundreds of projects? Are you compiling your own Linux kernel, or Chrome/Firefox browser?

It is like 60% java and 40% C components. Sometimes, maven isnt fast enough and esp when an antivirus is running, when a package(zip or similar) is getting created, the antivirus unzips :roll: and verifies the content somewhere in the memory. You see what I say

Flying Fox wrote:
ms__ wrote:
How big? Are you processing US census data? What package are you using? You can be dealing with large datasets in Excel, or you are doing simulations in Matlab, or some statistics stuff with SPSS. If it is possible, please list what software that you are using. Can the processing be done in vector algorithms in parallel, that GPU processing may be of use?

I cant reveal much about the tools and data I use here. But programming and some math tools for statistical modelling.

Flying Fox wrote:
ms__ wrote:
Are we talking meme/lolcatz kind of bitmap editing, or 15MP+ photos with a ton of Photoshop filters? Some Photoshop filters are starting to use GPUs as well.

I use a DSLR and it spits out a RAW image not less than 12MB. I'll be using Photoshop and Lightroom. I even heard about softwares making use of GPUs and parallel processing, I think some of the MacOs apps does it.

Flying Fox wrote:
ms__ wrote:
As much as you think you are not gaming and don't need any "gaming GPUs", 2 out of your 3 use cases may have options that begin to utilize GPU for accelerated processing. You will need to let us know what software you are dealing with and how you are processing your data (only share if you can of course, if you are under NDA/gag order) so we will see if you need higher end GPUs. As others have stated, 2x dual-DVI cards are in order if you are going for 1440p 27" monitors, this pretty much means you need to go discrete and it can't be the cheapest cards.

Again, I can't reveal much about :D softwares here, but whatever I have answered above should give you a fair picture.
I see why you are recommending discreet card, but what is the configuration I should seek? I do not want to end up buying some high end card say nVida 7XX series when a 6XX series will be good enough.

ms__
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:08 pm

C-A_99 wrote:
Built-in speakers don't seem to be common on monitors anymore. A cheap set of speakers, earbuds/headphones, or even USB speakers are good options if the monitor you end up getting lacks any audio functionality.

Not a problem I can buy some cheap speakers or some bluetooth speakers to get rid of wires (my wife hates wires)

C-A_99 wrote:
Monitors with rotating stands may be helpful. They're IPS's after all (thus shouldn't have viewing angle problems), and a vertical rotation is generally preferable for reading code.

I think if I could get such monitors I do not have to spend on the Ergo Arms as extra. Do you think Separate Ergo Arms would help?

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:18 pm

ms__ wrote:
C-A_99 wrote:

Not a problem I can buy some cheap speakers or some bluetooth speakers to get rid of wires (my wife hates wires)

C-A_99 wrote:

I think if I could get such monitors I do not have to spend on the Ergo Arms as extra. Do you think Separate Ergo Arms would help?

Speakers being subjective, but don't cheap out; you wind up paying twice and collecting junk, so get something you're willing to live with. Music is important.

For monitor stands, you can do pretty well with Dell's professional line; but read reviews carefully and audition in person if you can to make sure that they can either do what you need them to do, or can be adapted to do so. Monitor arms range from stupid cheap to ludicrous, so it's not something that can be considered until you have a well-defined use case to share!

jazper
Gerbil

Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:09 pm

I know you are not overclocking. That said, any intel processor will benefit from a decent aftermarket heatsink as turbo speed is limited by temperature. I.e. the cooler you can keep your processor, the faster it will stay without downthrottling. A cooler master h212 will cost you $30, and even if you are not overclocking, it will mean your processor is running at turbo speed longer/more often. This is usually I the order of 10%, and when doing what I think you are doing, 10% is a big difference.

ms__
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:35 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:

$350 Intel Core i7-4770K
and $175 -100 combo ASRock Z87 Extreme6
or $180 -100 combo Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H
or
$320 Intel Core i7-4770
and $148 -15 combo ASRock Z87M Extreme4

$145 -14½ code "HASMEM10" 2x8 GiB PC3-14900 AMD AP316G1869U2K (DDR3-1866, CAS 9, 1.5 V)
$0 Integrated CPU video
$0 Integrated motherboard audio
$409 27" 2560x1440 IPS LCD monitor
etc.

For the IPS monitor, can I be sure that the processor is good enough to handle the display graphics and I do not need additional graphics card? Even if it is 2 monitors?

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:19 am

Since we don't know the software you are using, or the precise type of programming you are doing, then I feel we should recommend the top. The very top. The tippy-tippy-top! Anything less would be a disservice to you and you could be frustrated with our recommendations and vow never to come back. We wouldn't want that now, would we? :D

1. Quad core or hex core i7. Maybe even consider a 2P board with two quad or hex core i7s. I mean...you did say "big data". What does that mean if it doesn't mean "BIG DATA"? Say it if you mean it. Pay it if you say it! 8)

2. 32 GB RAM minimum. Again, you say you're doing "big things", so without knowing more detail, I feel obligated to suggest 64 GB to be safe. Some 2P server boards will support 128 GB...

3. HD 7970 GPU if you are an AMD fan or a Titan if you prefer Geforce. Any of those will drive two monitors and have some left over for GPU number crunching. You might even want to consider an HD 7990 like I am, because that would give you two GPUs, not so much for graphic work...but for the GPU number crunching that we don't know about. :)

4. Power Supply should be 800 to 1000 Watts, minimum.

5. You say your wife hates wires. But you cannot get away from wires completely. If you don't believe me, just look under your car's hood, or under your desk! Bluetooth sometimes has its own problems. I say embrace the wires. Learn to love the wires! Just do your best to hide them. :lol:

If you and your wife both hate music of all kinds, then just get some cheapo crackerjack speakers, or better yet, just shut off the audio and focus on buying more CPU. But if either of you even remotely likes music (even if it's just your wedding song played on endless loop), then please spend some time on this purchase. Bad speakers are fatiguing to listen to, and you don't even know it! Good speakers will reduce subconscious fatigue and can be had for not that much money.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:54 am

He'll of course want an Fusion-io ioDrive for quick access to his data.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:18 pm

@ BIF's Build: That's a great system, but how does all that even come close to the $1,200 max budget the OP has?

@OP: An Intel i7-4770 build is the best you're going to get with a $1200 budget for the tower. If your CPU workload is highly parallel and you could expand your budget a bit more (without going to BIF levels) you could afford a 12-thread LGA-2011 system like the one I've listed below. The biggest benefits of LGA 2011 over LGA 1150 are 12 CPU threads instead of 8, and up to 64GB RAM instead of 32GB. Obviously there is some wiggle room in this range (price-wise) but these are good quality components to give you an idea.

Intel i7-3930K for $570. 6 cores, 12 threads, quad channel memory.
AsRock X79 Extreme 6 mobo for $200. This gives you 8 RAM slots for future expandability.
2x8GB RAM for $135. I'd say start with that and see where it gets you. With all those extra slots on your mobo, you could go all the way up to 64GB.
850W PSU for $130 after MIR. I plugged this system into a PSU calculator and came out with ~500W PSU required. That's with an AMD 7870 GPU. I picked the Corsair HX-850 because it's a good-quality modular 80 Plus Gold unit that leaves some overhead in case you start adding lots of big GPUs to the system later (GPU compute?). Feel free to pull the PSU closer to that 550-650W point as long as it's a good quality unit.
HIS 7770 for $110 gives you 2 mini Display Port connectors for those 27" monitors you want and you can do GPU-Compute on this if your software supports it.
Wrap it all up inside a Corsair Obsidian 550D for $100. Corsair cases are notorious for being easy to build in.

Subtotal = $1250 (Not including storage or OS)

I'm not sure what your storage needs are. You mentioned an SSD but no size, and I'm assuming you'll need a spinner as well? Add those at your discression.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod