Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

srgramrod
Gerbil
Topic Author

need help with my wireless internet

Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:25 pm

So about 3 days ago my internet just randomly slowed down, like a lot. on speed test i went from 20 ping 20mb down and about 15 up all the way to 97 ping (average) and 3mb (sometimes down to .3mb) down and 3mb (sometimes even 0) up...i have a SB5101 SURFboard cable modem and Linksys WRT610N. also on the back i noticed my router has a USB port, and my modem has a A/B (?? i dont know the exact name but its the port used on printers to usb) but i did not plug anything into either of those. so i was wondering if it could be my setup? or should i call my ISP or geeksquad (hopefully not them i have had horrible luck and the squad at my local bestbuy doesnt know much about computers ironically)
AMD FX-8320
Gigabyte 990FX-UD3
16GB G.skill Sniper 1600
Radeon HD 6790 1GB
1GB Seagate 7200 rpm & 125GB Crucial M4

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: need help with my wireless internet

Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:40 pm

first thing to do is to eliminate the wifi as a problem... connect your machine with a cable and rerun the speedtest

second thing is to try to eliminate the router but connecting direct to the modem (you might have to setup pppoe, it depends how your isp works)

I suspect the most likely problem is with the cable coming into your house though which would involve a call to the isp.

Of course all this assumes you done the traditional turning it off and back on again on the modem and the router :lol:
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:49 pm

cheesyking wrote:
second thing is to try to eliminate the router but connecting direct to the modem (you might have to setup pppoe, it depends how your isp works)

If you do take this step, boot up unattached. Once boot up is complete hook up Ethernet, run SpeedTest, and immediately pull the Ethernet cable. Computers directly on the 'Net are not a good idea.

I'm betting physical coax cable issue or construction somewhere in the cable plant.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:21 pm

yeah should really have attached a warning about potential dangers. Though assuming win7/8 it should be reasonably safe as it should automatically detect the change of gateway and bring up the public/home/work new network prompt... should... and you'd still have to remember to select "public".
Fernando!

Your mother ate my dog!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:27 pm

XP holdout here, so still old-school on security.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

srgramrod
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:27 pm

cheesyking wrote:
first thing to do is to eliminate the wifi as a problem... connect your machine with a cable and rerun the speedtest

I suspect the most likely problem is with the cable coming into your house though which would involve a call to the isp.

Of course all this assumes you done the traditional turning it off and back on again on the modem and the router :lol:

so another day, internet is still as bad. i started by checking with my laptop (for some reason my 5 year old laptop gets better wifi than my tower that i built last year) on speedtest.net got 75 ping 10 up 5 down. directly plugged into the router i got 65 ping 20 up 5 down, and no response from server when directly plugged into the modem...so im going to call my isp and have them fix it. cuz im so done with my houses wifi.

for fun i just ran another speedtest and i got 120 ping 0.77 up and 0.33 down
AMD FX-8320
Gigabyte 990FX-UD3
16GB G.skill Sniper 1600
Radeon HD 6790 1GB
1GB Seagate 7200 rpm & 125GB Crucial M4