Just joined the GeForce

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:41 pm

In case you haven't noticed my signature, I was forced to retire my Radeon HD 3450 AGP because the fan died and the card overheated. Thanks to the market as it stands, I bought out of a TigerDirect.com store a GeForce 6200 AGP from EVGA and just installed it into my current PC.

What are the advantages of this GeForce 6200 over the Radeon HD 3450? And should I stay with the green team once I replace this PC with a new one I will build sometime in the future?
Laptop: HP Pavilion 17-e016dx. AMD A8-5550M, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 8550G integrated video, 17.3" display, 1600*900 (HD+) resolution, SD card reader, Windows 8.1 (DL Classic Shell)
riviera74
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 860
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 6:14 am
Location: FM, FL, USA

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:55 pm

I have always bought NVidia but that is what I am comfortable with. As long as you pick a card that meets or exceeds what you need than either will do. What do you use the computer for?
Windows8.1 Pro 64 bit, Antec EA650 Power Supply, ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard, I5 3570K processor, 8 gigs of Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3 ram, Kingston HyperX 3K 240 gig SSD, Asus GTX660, Cooler Master Storm Scout case
Pville_Piper
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:03 pm

What are the advantages of this GeForce 6200 over the Radeon HD 3450?


hahahahahahahaha
Game_boy
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:46 pm

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:06 pm

Did you just discover the secret of going forward in time? Or did I just find a way to go back in time?
willg
Gerbil
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:59 am

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:27 pm

Assuming this is not a troll, you just got yourself a hefty downgrade. There are better AGP GeForces out there bro. Should've come to us for advice first.
Star Brood
Gerbil First Class
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:57 am

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:44 pm

You don't do any modern gaming based on the spec in your signature - so the advantages of "new, yet obsolete gaming card" over "old, also obsolete gaming card" are pretty minimal.

The 6200 might have snazzier drivers but short of some slightly different ways to control video overlay colour adjustments and manage multiple screens - I suspect the only real difference will be the connectors on the back are a little more up to date.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1764
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:49 pm

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:45 am

I think I had an EVGA 6200 in college and had good times playing stuff like SupCom on it. EVGA is the only graphics card maker out of six or so I've tried that hasn't ever given me trouble. A 6200 is indeed a notable downgrade from a 3450 but I'm guessing you only use it for basic stuff with a small display so you probably won't notice too much of a difference; like Chrispy said both cards are really old.
NovusBogus
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:37 am

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:58 am

.
Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg
clone
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:40 am

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:41 am

To answer the fan vs. video card question, the fan seized up and died. The video card itself stopped sending a clean signal once I got to the Windows XP splash screen. The color would go bad and then the picture itself would deteriorate and the system would not boot at all. I then replaced that HD3450 with a really old Radeon 9600XT I had lying around in a anti-static bag and swapped the cards. The 9600XT worked fine, but the refresh rate was extremely slow because the card could not handle 1680*1050 well and it refreshed slowly. That points to too little Video RAM (the HD3450 has 512MB; the 9600XT has 128MB). The purchase of the GeForce 6200 was essentially an emergency buy because I had a lot of work due early next week and waiting for a replacement was not an option. (The 6200 has 512MB VRAM.).
Laptop: HP Pavilion 17-e016dx. AMD A8-5550M, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 8550G integrated video, 17.3" display, 1600*900 (HD+) resolution, SD card reader, Windows 8.1 (DL Classic Shell)
riviera74
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 860
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 6:14 am
Location: FM, FL, USA

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:46 am

It's time for a new computer, dude. That's not something I often say to anyone.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:56 am

Just about every AGP nvidia offering I've seen is absolute junk. Only ATI/AMD seemed to keep the AGP flame alive into the 4xxx series. nvidia stopped at, what, 8xxx? And are so EXPENSIVE. Ugh. I went looking for AGP cards for my dad's old P4 a few years ago and the situation was pretty dire for the green team.

Get another ATI/AMD and return the nvidia if you still can.

But yeah, at this point you ought to get a new motherboad/CPU/RAM combo.
Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1028
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:57 pm
Location: Denver, CO.

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:01 am

I know I will need a new MB/CPU/RAM sooner than later. This is my possible next build. Drop by and comment there please.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 17-e016dx. AMD A8-5550M, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 8550G integrated video, 17.3" display, 1600*900 (HD+) resolution, SD card reader, Windows 8.1 (DL Classic Shell)
riviera74
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 860
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 6:14 am
Location: FM, FL, USA

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:10 pm

Scrotos wrote:Just about every AGP nvidia offering I've seen is absolute junk. Only ATI/AMD seemed to keep the AGP flame alive into the 4xxx series. nvidia stopped at, what, 8xxx? And are so EXPENSIVE. Ugh. I went looking for AGP cards for my dad's old P4 a few years ago and the situation was pretty dire for the green team.

Get another ATI/AMD and return the nvidia if you still can.

But yeah, at this point you ought to get a new motherboad/CPU/RAM combo.


Not even that - the last mainstream Geforce in the "performance" bracket sold was the 7800GS, which functioned like a slightly faster, cooler-running 6800 Ultra. Gainward pushed out a 7900-series card for AGP but it was expensive and hard to find. They gave up a lot sooner than AMD did, but even they stopped bothering after the Radeon 4600 series.

Asking how the 6200 compares to the 3450 is literally asking, "How does this low-end graphics card that came out near the end of George W. Bush's first term in office compare to this low-end graphics card that came out near the end of his second term?" I'd guess the 6200's about 50-66% the speed of the 3450 with a worse feature set, but at the performance levels we're talking about it won't matter much. But look on the bright side - it's not like you bought a 5200...
AMD FX-8320 | ASRock 970 Extreme4 | 24GB Corsair Ballistic DDR3-1600 | 2048 MB MSI Geforce GTX 660 | 600W Corsair Builder Series |Xubuntu 14.04 x64 | Cooler Master CM690 | Pioneer Blu-ray RW Drive | 240 gig Mushkin SSD | 500 gig Western Digital SATA Drive
Concupiscence
Gerbil
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:50 pm

Scrotos wrote:Just about every AGP nvidia offering I've seen is absolute junk.


I disagree. The 6600GT was a very capable card during it's time.
Corsair 650D | Corsair AX750 | MSI XPower Big Bang X58 | Intel i7-950 | Corsair Hydro Series H80i | MSI GTX670 OC PE | 12gb GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 | WD Caviar Black 1TB w/ Win 7 64-bit | MS Reclusa Keyboard | Logitech MX518 | Asus VW246H & VW224U
RickyTick
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:07 am

.
Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg
clone
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:40 am

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:28 am

http://anandtech.com/show/6877/the-grea ... r-part-3/2


Its amazing, the GPU in most peoples smart phone's are faster than your new GPU....
w00tstock
Gerbil
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:25 pm

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:21 am

Here is a small situation for which your 6200 may have an advantage (until October): simple video decode using VDPAU in (for example) MythTV in Linux. I saw (via the shortbread) in Phoronix that AMD have released code to expose the UVD under VDPAU, and more recently, the power management too. They should be in the kernel and open source drivers in October, hopefully. I'm not sure if the 3450 had UVD, I have a suspicion that came in around the 4000 series. But, if you want to watch 720p HD TV signal from your Linux computer, you may be able to do so slightly more efficiently than with your 3450.

(This is from when I looked at it some years ago - I hope what I understood then and remember now is correct; but AGP was a long time ago and I'm not overfurnished in the brain department so may have the wrong end of the stick.)
Athlon 620e, Asus 7790 (1GB), 8GB KVR 1333, Asus M4A785T-M, Samsung 830 256GB, WD Green 1TB, WD Green 2TB, E-mu 1212m, Dvico HD Dual Digital 4 TV tuner, Hyper 212 Evo (mounted ironically), Antec Earthwatts Platinum 450W.
atcrank
Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:12 am

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:48 am

riviera74 wrote:To answer the fan vs. video card question, the fan seized up and died. The video card itself stopped sending a clean signal once I got to the Windows XP splash screen. The color would go bad and then the picture itself would deteriorate and the system would not boot at all. I then replaced that HD3450 with a really old Radeon 9600XT I had lying around in a anti-static bag and swapped the cards. The 9600XT worked fine, but the refresh rate was extremely slow because the card could not handle 1680*1050 well and it refreshed slowly. That points to too little Video RAM (the HD3450 has 512MB; the 9600XT has 128MB). The purchase of the GeForce 6200 was essentially an emergency buy because I had a lot of work due early next week and waiting for a replacement was not an option. (The 6200 has 512MB VRAM.).


The 9600XT,a very good card,came with 256MB of VRAM. 8)
Fighterpilot
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2420
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:29 am
Location: your girlfriend's bedroom...

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:00 am

Dude you need a new computer. 3rd world country people have better computer than you.
E6300 b2 @ 3.5ghz on P5B vanilla
2 gigs Micron D9
8600gts
marvelous
Gerbil
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:41 pm

atcrank wrote:Here is a small situation for which your 6200 may have an advantage (until October): simple video decode using VDPAU in (for example) MythTV in Linux. I saw (via the shortbread) in Phoronix that AMD have released code to expose the UVD under VDPAU, and more recently, the power management too. They should be in the kernel and open source drivers in October, hopefully. I'm not sure if the 3450 had UVD, I have a suspicion that came in around the 4000 series. But, if you want to watch 720p HD TV signal from your Linux computer, you may be able to do so slightly more efficiently than with your 3450.

(This is from when I looked at it some years ago - I hope what I understood then and remember now is correct; but AGP was a long time ago and I'm not overfurnished in the brain department so may have the wrong end of the stick.)


All Radeon HDs with the (possible?) exception of the 2900 series had a UVD block. Once that support is in and working the 3450 wouldn't be bad for a home theater PC, but I wouldn't use it for much more than that and desktop compositing.

What I'm baffled by is the assertion that the 9600XT "refreshed slowly" at 1680x1050. I wouldn't doubt that the 3450's featureset is better at this point, but there's no reason a 9600XT shouldn't offer a decent experience for basic desktop use unless there's something physically wrong with it...

marvelous wrote:Dude you need a new computer. 3rd world country people have better computer than you.


Be nice, people keep old rigs alive for lots of reasons. He asked a question, and we've all told him that he's basically downgraded. No need to tell him he's worse off than a "third world country [person]," whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.
Last edited by Concupiscence on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD FX-8320 | ASRock 970 Extreme4 | 24GB Corsair Ballistic DDR3-1600 | 2048 MB MSI Geforce GTX 660 | 600W Corsair Builder Series |Xubuntu 14.04 x64 | Cooler Master CM690 | Pioneer Blu-ray RW Drive | 240 gig Mushkin SSD | 500 gig Western Digital SATA Drive
Concupiscence
Gerbil
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:07 pm

He means that people with no money, no technology, and very little opportunity to obtain either have better computers than he does. Just... just in case you didn't understand the allusion and weren't being sarcastic.

Got a used powerbook back in the day for a Kenyan who did IT-type work. Didn't hear back from him after the revolts during their election a few years back. Hope he's still alive.

Reason why I'm unsure about the last nvidia series to work on AGP is because I also was looking at PCI cards at the time. How's this for irony? THERE ARE FASTER PCI CARDS OUT THAN AGP. AMD went to the 5xxx series and nvidia went to the 8xxx/9xxx/GTxxx series. And they are stupid expensive.
Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1028
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:57 pm
Location: Denver, CO.

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Scrotos wrote:He means that people with no money, no technology, and very little opportunity to obtain either have better computers than he does. Just... just in case you didn't understand the allusion and weren't being sarcastic.

Got a used powerbook back in the day for a Kenyan who did IT-type work. Didn't hear back from him after the revolts during their election a few years back. Hope he's still alive.

Reason why I'm unsure about the last nvidia series to work on AGP is because I also was looking at PCI cards at the time. How's this for irony? THERE ARE FASTER PCI CARDS OUT THAN AGP. AMD went to the 5xxx series and nvidia went to the 8xxx/9xxx/GTxxx series. And they are stupid expensive.


It was just an insensitive remark. Figured he needed to be called out on it.

And there are faster PCI cards - nominally - but the bandwidth limitations of vanilla PCI are horrible. Heck, I'd forgotten about them entirely...
AMD FX-8320 | ASRock 970 Extreme4 | 24GB Corsair Ballistic DDR3-1600 | 2048 MB MSI Geforce GTX 660 | 600W Corsair Builder Series |Xubuntu 14.04 x64 | Cooler Master CM690 | Pioneer Blu-ray RW Drive | 240 gig Mushkin SSD | 500 gig Western Digital SATA Drive
Concupiscence
Gerbil
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:19 am

BTW, the 8600XT I had only has 128MB VRAM, not 256MB VRAM.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 17-e016dx. AMD A8-5550M, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 8550G integrated video, 17.3" display, 1600*900 (HD+) resolution, SD card reader, Windows 8.1 (DL Classic Shell)
riviera74
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 860
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 6:14 am
Location: FM, FL, USA

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:53 am

axeman wrote:
marvelous wrote:Dude you need a new computer. 3rd world country people have better computer than you.


Said the guy with a C2D and 2gigs of ram.


Maybe he lives in a 3rd world country.
Star Brood
Gerbil First Class
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:57 am

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:50 am

riviera74 wrote:BTW, the 8600XT I had only has 128MB VRAM, not 256MB VRAM.


That points to too little Video RAM (the HD3450 has 512MB; the 9600XT has 128MB).

riviera74


What are you on about?...the 8600XT :-?
The 9600XT had 256MB of VRAM.
Fighterpilot
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2420
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:29 am
Location: your girlfriend's bedroom...

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:42 pm

maybe yours has 256MB, but my 9600xt does not :( only 128MB here
shizuka
Gerbil
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:44 pm

TR's review sample also had only 128MB of memory:

http://techreport.com/review/5768/ati-r ... ics-card/2

None of that would ever touch the Radeon 9500 Pro, which I had with a flashed BIOS to enable the dormant memory controllers, so it was basically a Radeon 9700 that I got for like $130 less. That was the day...
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21255
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:53 pm

I just choked on my drink!

Ah, gold! :lol:
i7-2600k (4.1Ghz), 16GB DDR3-1600, 6970 2GB, GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, Recon3D Audio (PCI-E), WD 1TB Black (os/programs), WD 2TB Green (games), WD 3TB Green (movies/music), Win 8.1 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance mixes and other goodies! linserv.biz.tm
ClickClick5
Gerbil XP
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:28 pm
Location: Somewhere in a land the doctor says does not exist...

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Game_boy wrote:
What are the advantages of this GeForce 6200 over the Radeon HD 3450?


hahahahahahahaha


I think game_boy's remark explains my feelings about this thread.

I bought a passive 5500 agp, 5 years ago. And it was considered obsolete back then.
Asus x83vm-x1, that's my main system: p8400, nvidia 9600m gs, 4g ddr2 (currently 2)
Kurkotain
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Just joined the GeForce

Postposted on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:01 pm

If you have to keep that computer get a PCI video card. Zotac makes a few more recent Geforce based cards. I would, however, get an extended warranty from the seller as I've found Zotac's QC to be spotty.
I have nothing against humanity that thousands of years of nuclear winter won't take care of.
destroy.all.monsters
Gerbil
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:07 pm

Next

Return to Graphics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ermo, Google Adsense [Bot] and 9 guests