A question for you

The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.

Moderator: Dposcorp

A question for you

Postposted on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:17 pm

This question applies to hardware as well as software and the question is:

In your opinion is technical support a post sales endeavour or is it a pre sales one, and why do you hold this position?
CoolerMaster HAF X, i7-990x, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, 24GB Corsair XMS, Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X, Corsair Neutron 128GB, 3*Seagate HD (3TB), Seagate HD (1.5TB), Hitachi HD (2TB), Plextor DVD + BluRay, StorageWorks DAT 72, 29160 SCSI Adapter, Corsair H80
Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Re: A question for you

Postposted on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:40 am

The more complex the product to more it becomes both.
I've been through a number of Enterprise level purchases now and part of our RFP is a test of the vendors support process.

I've seen some go from gold/platinum standard down to a level where we would not have bought it had it been like this (and back up again after customers started complaining and leaving)

Why would you buy a complex product that requires specialized support without knowing what that support is like?

just my $0.02... getting hard to pay that in Canada... heres a nickel instead :-)
Arvald
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Re: A question for you

Postposted on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:48 pm

Hardware: It depends. Are you going to keep the hardware, or are you going to ditch it for a newer model when it breaks? If you're going to keep it, support gets factored into the purchase.

Software: Support matters a lot. If something is broken, the program is useless. We use software so our hardware will do things, and sometimes there isn't a good alternative. It's easy enough to swap hardware, but it's much harder with software, since most people don't have the time to write their own.
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Return to General Software