Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

What layout?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:19 am

Conventional (Enhanced) layouts (101/102/104/105-key and similar layouts)
22 (59%)
Extended conventional layouts (additional media/macro/function keys)
4 (11%)
Tenkeyless layouts (no numeric keypad)
3 (8%)
Navigationless layouts with tenkey
1 (3%)
Compact layouts
1 (3%)
Fixed ergonomic layouts
4 (11%)
Adjustable ergonomic layouts
No votes
Other (please post)
No votes
Pepper jack
2 (5%)

Total votes: 37

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

What kind of keyboard layout do you prefer?

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:19 am

Just curious.

Conventional (Enhanced) layouts are those used by the 101/102-key Model M, and by most keyboards today, as well as slight variations on those layouts (differently shaped enter keys, Windows keys, that sort of thing).
Extended conventional layouts add dedicated media, macro, and/or extra function keys. The media keys are popular on consumer boards, the macro keys are popular on gaming boards, and the extra function keys used to mainly be on terminal keyboards.
Tenkeyless layouts remove the numeric keypad, but leave the navigation cluster and function keys.
Navigationless layouts with tenkey remove the arrow and other navigation keys (Insert/Delete/Home/End/PgUp/PgDn), but leave the numeric keypad. Not common nowadays, but Cooler Master has one board with such a layout, and the IBM PC, PC/XT, and PC/AT keyboards had such layouts.
Compact layouts are a tenkeyless layout that is extremely condensed, like a laptop keyboard. Some even leave off dedicated navigation and function keys entirely, like the Happy Hacking Keyboard and other "60%" layouts.
Fixed ergonomic layouts are those with a split in the main typing area to prevent your wrists from rotating, and may have other shape differences as well. The Microsoft Natural keyboard is the example that's typically given in this case.
Adjustable ergonomic layouts are those that can have their split angle adjusted, and may have other adjustments as well.
Last edited by bhtooefr on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: What kind of keyboard layout do you prefer?

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:20 am

Ou est le fromage?

EDIT: We all know I'm a Model M evangelist. Which reminds me that it's time to take it apart and clean out the board chow. Nice bit is that the top cover can go straight into the dishwasher.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:22 am

Damnit, I forgot the cheese option. Editing poll, you might have to re-vote.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:09 am

Conventional 104-key (with Windows keys) for me. Preferably a mechanical with Cherry MX blue switches.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:24 am

Oh, and my own vote was for a conventional layout, even though my favorite keyboard is my 122-key Model F (which is an extended conventional layout).

(I want that board, with less stiff springs, and in a 104-key layout, really.)

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:34 pm

I've managed to catch the mechanical keyboard bug, so I've got lots of 'em. MX browns are my favorites, but I've got blues, blacks, and whites in 104 and tenkeyless. Fond memories of the 83-key Model F brought me to the Model M a few years ago. But to answer the question, 104 layout is the one. I use the number pad quite a bit.
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:12 pm

Conventional or tenkeyless is fine but give tenkeyless the nod overall. I like the reduced space it occupies and I'm plenty quick on the number row. I also like how you can bring your mouse hand closer to its natural resting position on a desk, at least for me. I prefer that multimedia keys be implemented as the secondary function on the F-keys. My keyboard of choice right now is a Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid with Cherry MX Red switches.
Last edited by slowriot on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:06 pm

MS natural keyboard pro all the way, been using it since 98 and it still keeps on ticking. Got an extra to scavenge for parts if this one ever fails.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:30 pm

Still using my 1391401, but lately I've been wishing for the extra three keys as more stuff takes advantage.

Also: small Enter and large Backspace, thanks much. L-shaped Enter is a tool of the Great Old Ones.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Small backspace drives me nuts; I consider it to be a deal-breaker.

Also got me some "Tux the Penguin" keycaps from WASD Keyboards to replace the Windows keys on my RK-9000s. :wink:

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:29 pm

slowriot wrote:
Conventional or tenkeyless is fine but give tenkeyless the nod overall. I like the reduced space it occupies and I'm plenty quick on the number row. I also like how you can bring your mouse hand closer to its natural resting position on a desk, at least for me.

I like Tenkeyless for the same reason. I have a Filco MX-Brown variety currently.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:44 pm

kumori wrote:
I like Tenkeyless for the same reason. I have a Filco MX-Brown variety currently.

Whereas for me, living in the financial world, the 10-key is an absolute must. Horses for courses and all that.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:02 am

I have had this white Microsoft Natural (i.e. ergonomic) Keyboard for years and it still remains strong. Long typing sessions almost require one since a normal KB will probably tire you out more quickly. Other than perhaps a cleaning, it still types great. No conventional keyboards for me.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:25 am

Captain Ned wrote:
kumori wrote:

Whereas for me, living in the financial world, the 10-key is an absolute must. Horses for courses and all that.

I live in the legal world where we avoid numbers whenever possible, including by removing them from our keyboard!

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:35 am

kumori wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
kumori wrote:

I live in the legal world where we avoid numbers whenever possible, including by removing them from our keyboard!

I don't blame you. Who wants to get sued over something that need not happen?

For me, a 10-key is essential if not mandatory. My next laptop either will have one or at least I can buy a USB 10-key keyboard extension.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:27 am

I prefer the US International layout specifically, which is sometimes a problem when buying locally. At my last job, my employer bought a laptop for me and I requested for it to have a US International layout instead of a German layout, because I'm Dutch. I ended up getting a laptop with the Dutch layout (which drove me nuts), which may be called Dutch but isn't really used that much in the Netherlands. The problem is mainly with the key layout, not so much what is printed on the keys but the fact that the Dutch layout has an upright Enter and the German layout has a narrow left Shift key.

At the job before that, I resorted to bringing my own keyboard.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:39 am

Firestarter wrote:
At the job before that, I resorted to bringing my own keyboard.

Yeah, I've been doing that for years.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:58 am

I did that for a while too until work let me buy a Unicomp with my previous computer. It's already saved them money compared to the other two techs, whose keyboards got replaced when we got new machines last year.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x