Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Who is The Most Worthy?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Forge - For risking a lifetime forum ban by giving Damage bunny ears in the group photo
8 (15%)
Mrs. Shoes - For being Ellie's buddy all day and basically making it possible for her and Mrs. Fish to attend
10 (19%)
Colt - For this photo
3 (6%)
ClickClick5 - For riding 2,429 miles round trip on a crotch rocket to attend
13 (25%)
Sheldomaus - For his "my fingers smell funny!" outburst and raw unrestrained excitment over owning so much lube
3 (6%)
Mrs. Frobozz - For letting Stiffie beat her at bean bags leading the way for him to become the Golden Cupcake
2 (4%)
Damage - For knocking off Skuzzy's head, botching the give away numbers, and deadpanning, "I haven't gotten that old yet" in response to Ned's, "Sometimes the spud just doesn't want to cooperate."
7 (13%)
thegleek - For almost turning a paper lantern into a submarine and demonstrably incredible situational awareness
6 (12%)

Total votes: 52

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: TR BBQ ~X~ Official Thread

Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:34 pm

jss21382 wrote:
It's fine...I'm really just harassing you for no good reason.

Which in itself is a good reason. :)
My brother and I are usually in, but work stuff always forces to officially confirm last minute.

SHOES
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:54 pm

Well, the BBQ is fast approaching and I am going to begin planning for the fireworks show... If you are going to be chipping in this year please PM me with the amount you would like to "pledge" as this will influence how much I spend and how big we can go :D ...

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:51 am

^ This!

SHOES/Josh is the fireworks MAN! If you want a show befitting the 10th TR BBQ then make sure he knows what he has to work with! We can make last year's show look like a sparkler-fest. :D :o 8)

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:37 pm

Well, I've got some bad news. I won't be able to go to the BBQ :( The "sequester" has hit and a spreadsheet error (dorked up a formula) means I won't have the funds to go. It wouldn't be SO bad, but contracts have been messed up all over and I was already out nine days of work in the spring. In all, I'm losing 20 days of work in six months so I can't afford the trip, unfortunately.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:57 pm

I should be able to make it. Hey Starfalcon, do you need a ride & want to split the cost of gas? IIRC you're sort of on my way.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:19 pm

Yeah, I was actually about to PM you about that anyway, just wanted to make sure I can go this year and be off the work. I would be more than happy to go with you :wink:

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:40 pm

Hmm... not sure if I want to ride with someone who doesn't know the difference between the PM and "Report Post as Spam" buttons though! :lol:

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:54 am

Yeah, i was wondering where my post went...thats what I get trying to do 4 things at once.... :wink:

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:58 am

Losergamer04 wrote:
Well, I've got some bad news. I won't be able to go to the BBQ :( The "sequester" has hit and a spreadsheet error (dorked up a formula) means I won't have the funds to go. It wouldn't be SO bad, but contracts have been messed up all over and I was already out nine days of work in the spring. In all, I'm losing 20 days of work in six months so I can't afford the trip, unfortunately.

Damn you Excel! :x Bummer... Well, maybe next year I guess. :)

Speaking of catching rides, Ned was there not talk of you and leor riding in together this year? I'm not sure if he's still planning on it but it could help.

DLHM
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:54 am

I'm 1100 Miles away... otherwise I would be there.
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:02 am

drfish wrote:
Speaking of catching rides, Ned was there not talk of you and leor riding in together this year? I'm not sure if he's still planning on it but it could help.

That would have been someone else as NYC isn't exactly on my way, so for Leor it would have been a park 'n' ride somewhere around Utica, NY.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:19 am

DLHM wrote:
I'm 1100 Miles away... otherwise I would be there.

Bah, 900 miles is but a dawdle.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:47 am

Captain Ned wrote:
drfish wrote:

That would have been someone else as NYC isn't exactly on my way, so for Leor it would have been a park 'n' ride somewhere around Utica, NY.

I see, yes, not exactly on the way. :-?

Dposcorp

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:08 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
Yeah, i was wondering where my post went...thats what I get trying to do 4 things at once.... :wink:

Are you sure it wasn't because you were posting from one of your "ENIAC 1" era computers hooked up to my OMG 24" Sony CRT? :)

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:57 pm

Nah, i was actually on my current rig, just had 10 tabs open and doing a bunch of things at the same time along with being hooked up still to your OMG 24' Sony CRT :wink:

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:39 am

By my calculations based on your usage patterns a 30" Korean monitor would pay for itself in electrical savings in about 25 minutes... Something to keep in mind. ;) I'm keeping my FW900 forever though - it's just going to stay unplugged in my basement.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:55 pm

Please mark me down as unconfirmed but expected. I'm requesting the appropriate PTO now, just have to make sure my car is up to it.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Dposcorp

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:07 am

Starfalcon, If you know u are gonna go for sure, I may have some stuff to, and it pains me to say this, GIVE you. lol
LMK

Also, I call DIBS to be the first one in the hammock pictured here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j84p0t52mxd2mq0/DSC00217.JPG

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:28 am

Unless some horrible act of god happens I plan to be there. I can't miss the 10th anniversary and all, been there since ye olde days and all :wink:

Xylker
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:32 pm

You can put me and the 5 yr old down as confirmed. I am confirmed for time off from work, leaving TX on the 8th or 9th.
I have nothing more to say about that.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:51 pm

Hey, who hosts or is nearby? I'm probably going to sleep in my car and drive home Sunday and was hoping for a friendly parking spot.

I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but cops around here hate car-sleepers.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:58 pm

Forge wrote:
Hey, who hosts or is nearby? I'm probably going to sleep in my car and drive home Sunday and was hoping for a friendly parking spot.

I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but cops around here hate car-sleepers.

JBI slept in his minivan on-site last year (EDIT: He actually slept inside, I think, but was fully prepared for the minivan). You'll be well away from the road and won't be bothered by the local constabulary. If it's nice there's also plenty of room for a small tent.

EDIT: If you have any plans on leaving well after dark, do yourself a favor and back into your parking place while it's still light. Last year I had to back out quite a ways to a turn-around spot to avoid crushing the septic. It was a real PITA at 1AM after JBI's Dubbel Belgian.

Of course, it's all up to the host. I'm just relating last year's experience, so I'm no authority.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:25 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
JBI slept in his minivan on-site last year

Ah, perfect. I have a PT Cruiser, so I can flip up the tailgate, flip down the back seats, and have a surprisingly large and solid sleeping area, but I was worried about imposing. I'll probably just get some mosquito net to hang from the tailgate and be well taken care of.

How do I find out who is hosting, to double check?

Edit: Sorry for the incessant questions, first TR BBQ, and first long trip in a few years.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:33 pm

Forge wrote:
How do I find out who is hosting, to double check?

The host would be the person who started this thread (drfish). That's what makes it the Official Thread. :wink:

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Lol, it's pretty funny, my comment on the front page didn't get the response I was expecting. ;)

Sleeping onsite is fine. At the moment there's still one bed open in the bunkhouse if you don't mind roomies. Otherwise sleeping in your car or pitching a tent is perfectly acceptable.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:34 pm

Forge wrote:
Edit: Sorry for the incessant questions, first TR BBQ, and first long trip in a few years.

No worries. Looking forward to meeting someone I've only known through electrons. Bring an appetite.

EDIT: I'll be the big pasty fat white guy in a tye-dye polo and a Tilley boonie hat. Damage has graciously smattered my ugly mug over several postings.

Xorathis
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:54 pm

For anyone that needs a lift to the BBQ and lives near or can get to any of the cities along my path out to Michigan, feel free to PM me to arrange something. I'll be coming from Western New York, so places like Rochester, Buffalo, Erie, Cleveland, Toledo and etc.

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:58 pm

Hell, it's about time. Count me in.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:21 am

Ok you two, I've moved you to the confirmed list. Don't go making a fool out of me for believing you. ;)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:47 am

Xorathis wrote:
For anyone that needs a lift to the BBQ and lives near or can get to any of the cities along my path out to Michigan, feel free to PM me to arrange something. I'll be coming from Western New York, so places like Rochester, Buffalo, Erie, Cleveland, Toledo and etc.

I'll wave on the way past you. Erie is my midpoint stop both ways.