Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

55"Panasonic VT30 will not power on :(

Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Well my 1 year 7.5 month old 55" Panasonic VT30 will not power on. As always when a electronic piece of equipment fails at my house it is never me that turns on and discoverers that the Item is not functioning.

So the wife said she turned on the TV and the only thing that happened was the little red power indicator light came on then went out with no visual picture or fuzz of any kind on the panel. As i looked at it trying to fix it the remote was not powering up the TV. So i unplugged the TV for 5 minutes and when i plugged it back in i could hear a audible click like a solinoid....so i was like "YES maybe its ok now" Using the remote I hit the power button and the power light came on and i was happy until the power light started flashing 7 times with a slight pause then 7 times then pause..over and over. I am positive it is a trouble shooting code.

Luckily i have a Warranty on the system so I called them up. They asked for the serial # and then went on about setting up a appointment for a service tech to come out. He did not ask but he might have been getting to it but i mentioned I disconnected the power and all HDMI connections and told him that the power light was flashing 7 times over and over and told him it had to be a trouble code for the service tech. I was put on hold and he came back on and said your appointment is for the 20th. We are going to mail all the parts for the repair to your home, If they arrive before your service date of sat the 20th call us and we will send someone out sooner. I sure hope so :)

Anyway that's my sob story " I love that TV" and with it being wall mounted and hooked to my HTPC I just might have to pull my 37" vizio off my gaming tower and mount it just to get by for the next few days.

If anyone has had a similar problem and knows what Panasonic's code 7 means I would like to know.
Thanks and have a nice hot day "I am and the philly area it is very hot!

Ohh On top of the TV going bad my living room trough the wall air conditioner died on ke yesterday morn! It was a 20+ year old 13,000 BTU unit. So i had to run to best buy and i purchased a General Electric ael24dq 24,200 BTU unit for $599 + 60$ for a 2 year warr since it only came with a 1 year limited. This was the closest unit size wise that i could get....but it was a inch wider then the unit it was replacing. So i had to widen the hole in my wall using a electric hand planer, hand chisels and a hammer. After 4 hours the job was finished "and so is my back it is killing me" and looks great. I am very happy with the performance of the unit. It is much much quieter and cools the whole downstairs that includes a large living room, a kitchen "that had the oven on for 1.5hrs", a hallway and a dining room. the old unit could just do the living room and the kitchen a wee bit with the help of a fan blowing air from the living room to the kitchen.
It seems like I have always had bad thing happen or break in threes "knock on wood i hope not"
Good luck to everyone:)
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: 55"Panasonic VT30 will not power on :(

Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:48 pm

Two electric devices failing in short order implies, at least to me, issues with wiring or power delivery (i.e. thunderstorms).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:57 pm

Or, that the failure or impending failure of one disturbed the power in the house to the extent that the other device failed...
i5-4670 | Asus H87M-E | MSI GTX 960 | 8GB DDR3 @800 | WD Green 2TB | 850 EVO 250GB | CM Masterkeys Pro L White | MX518 (original!) | Hyper 212 Evo | 6TB Ubuntu/ZFS NAS
I was going to tell a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones argon.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:34 pm

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Thanks for the replies Ned and others,

Ned I ruled out power delivery/thunderstorm since everything has been fine weather wise. As for the air conditioner it was tha main fan motor that went bad. compressor and everything else run peachy. The motor just all of a sudden sounded weird and slowed down then finally stopped...but the compressor was still running.Being over 20 years old I suspect the brushes wore out on the motor...since it powers the squirrel cage fan for blowing air on the inside past the evaporator and it also ran the fan on the outside of the unit pushing air through the condenser.

As for the TV i found out that the seven blink are called the seven blinks of death. The board that went bad looks very easy to replace plus it was already ordered for me to be delivered to my house. Also a repair man is coming out to install it even though I could do it myself. Ill just watch him install it just in case it goes bad down the road after my warranty is up.

Also the seven blinks of death board is looks to be a commom problem it is available through Panasonic and other aftermarket retailers for $99 up to around $200.
So if i have to replace it a year from now i will happily pay a hundred bucks to fix it again since the screen has absolutely no burn in marks, and still is functioning like the day i opened it up. Plasma screens have come a long long way from when they were 1st released
When they 1st came out they would get burn in marks and dim like the lame projection DLP TV's

Thanks again for your input.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system