Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

derTorbs
Gerbil
Topic Author

Need a new Headset

Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:54 pm

My venerable Corsair HS1 finally died on me, mic produces an incredibly awful noise when I try to talk. Still has nice cans, but I need something with a new mic. I am tempted to stick with Corsair and hit up the Vengeance 1500, but I am not sure. I am not much of an audiophile, I just need a decent, reliable, comfortable headset that won't self destruct if I so much as look at it wrong. I have been burned by Logitech in the past (3 headsets over the course of 1 year) but the G35 is a surprisingly sexy looking piece of hardware.

A couple friends recently had me recommend them some headsets so I suggested the Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset, and those work great for them, but I find them to be a little too cramped on the ears for my taste. That's why I liked the Corsair with its big ass 50mm drivers.

Any thoughts?
Intel Core i7 930 | Asus P6TD Delux X58 | Corsair 12 GB RAM | Raidmax 650W | Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti | Dell Ultrasharp U2711 & U2312 | Corsair K90 | R.A.T. 7| Corsair Vengeance 1500|

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Re: Need a new Headset

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:13 pm

I currently use the Corsair HS1A. The sound is good and it's comfortable to wear for an extended period. The mic was crap from the start and now doesn't work at all. Overall I've been a little disappointed, especially for the price. I previously had the Creative Fatality headset. The only reason I replaced it was because I ripped the wires out of it getting up out of my chair one time.

My next headset will be the Sennheiser HD5xx or something like that.
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:44 pm

For that sort of money, you could get a mid-range set of audio headphones and add a lapel microphone.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:56 am

I know everyone says stay away from USB headsets and mics.

I have been sporting a logitec g930 wireless getup that has performed admirably. It has great range, sports 40mm drivers and the simulated surround is pretty convincing. Also by design they block out 25-30 DB's of noise since they are not vented headphones.
Battery life is great at around 10hrs still while being well over a year old. I have no problems with movies or games that support surround.

I am pretty sure the g930 set is the same as the wired g35.
Another plus in my book is being able to just plus the dongle into any of my 4 PC's and use the headset. Plus i do not have to worry if the cord is long enough.
So far i have never gotten any interference from anything...not even with the microwave running 2 ft from my head.

Considering how long this headset has been made, but has yet to get any changes in the design besides software I am happy with its performance.
Funny thing is i was going to buy the corsair 1500's but they were out of stock so i gambled on these and i am glad I did:)
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

keltor
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:42 pm

I honestly think headsets are mostly a waste of your money. The headphone parts are about as crappy and super bass-heavy as one could imagine. Get a good set of phones and use a decent mic - actually the Mics in most WebCams seem to work quite well, though I really think the Blue Snowball or something like that is really the entry level. I use a pair of Grado RS1s with a SM57 on a boom mount. (Probably waaaaay overkill, but I already have to have it at my desk for the occational voice work.)

LukeCWM
Gerbil

Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:32 pm

I wanted a cheap but decent headset for gaming. I spent ~$30 on a Turtle Beach headset. Everyone tells me the mic sounds super clear, and one person even asked me if it was a "fancy microphone like they use in recording studios" like I've used before. But the headset is rather uncomfortable, and the sound really does suck. I knew it wouldn't be as good as my AKG headphones or the Grados I recommend, but yikes it sounded bad! I ended up wearing the Turtle Beach headset around my neck with my AKG headphones on my head. And at the moment, I use the Turtle Beach headset as a hands-free headset for my phone so I can clean my kitchen and fold laundry while on the phone. It's perfectly fine for that. :D

Moral of the story (if there is one): don't buy ~$30 Turtle Beach headsets, even if the reviews say they are the best thing since the invention of the hamburger. Because the sound sucks. No matter what they say.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:38 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
For that sort of money, you could get a mid-range set of audio headphones and add a lapel microphone.

Exactly What he said!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:56 pm

derTorbs wrote:
My venerable Corsair HS1 finally died on me, mic produces an incredibly awful noise when I try to talk. Still has nice cans, but I need something with a new mic. I am tempted to stick with Corsair and hit up the Vengeance 1500, but I am not sure. I am not much of an audiophile, I just need a decent, reliable, comfortable headset that won't self destruct if I so much as look at it wrong. I have been burned by Logitech in the past (3 headsets over the course of 1 year) but the G35 is a surprisingly sexy looking piece of hardware.

If the headphones part still works (I have the HS1 too, it's comfortable) why not just get a Zalman microphone to clip on?