Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

best Android alternative to iPad Retina Display

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:56 pm

I was looking all over the web to see what the best tablet would be. It would be about 8-10" in screen area, have about 16-32GB of storage, GREAT Wi-Fi and internet browsing are musts (especially if there is no 3G/4G connection)! An SD card slot would be preferable (especially one that can take a 64GB card like my Samsung Galaxy S3). The tablet has to be competitive with an iPad 4 with Retina Display.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your ideas in advance.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: best Android alternative to iPad Retina Display

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:00 pm

The new Nexus 7 was just announced today. It's a 7 inch tablet, but with a 1920x1200 resolution, exceeding the PPI of the iPad. Granted it's smaller display than the iPad, but yay for marketing! There's also not an SD card slot, but for the price, it's really hard to beat. I personally have the original Asus Transformer, and bought it initially due to the size. After having it for two years, I find that a 7 inch tablet better suits my needs. So, the chances of me buying a new Nexus 7 are pretty good. I'm even considering buying the LTE version when it's released, and getting a data only plan with AT&T.

I posted this today on Google+, so I'm just going to copy and paste it instead of retyping:

The new Nexus 7 lineup was officially announced today. $229 for 16GB or $269 for the 32GB (both Wi-Fi only) are both a pretty damn good deal, even if the prices are a slight increase over last year's models. The upgrade in resolution alone from 1280x800 to 1920x1200 is worth the price alone, in my opinion. Then there's the fact that they went with the Snapdragon S4 versus NVIDIA's Tegra, which was used last year. The S4 is probably the best bang for your buck SoC right now.

I wonder if ASUS and/or Google were able to fix the problem that many people had with the previous Nexus 7 and it become very slow and laggy over time. Rumor has it that Asus used less than stellar SSD storage, and/or the tablet doesn't support TRIM properly.

A single LTE model for AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile was also announced, but a street date other than "available soon" wasn't mentioned It'll be 32GB only, and it'll sell for $349. Still not a bad deal. If you choose to go with AT&T or T-Mobile, it will work on both their HSPA+ and LTE towers. However, there is a downside if you decide to use the tablet on Verizon: it will only work on their LTE network (or your own Wi-Fi). There is not a CDMA radio in the tablet, so no Verizon 3G connectivity. And let's face it...if you're stuck on Verizon's 3G, you might as well not even be online. No harm, no foul.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

cheerful hamster
Gerbil

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:05 pm

I can't vouch for the Wi-Fi or web browsing, but the Nook HD+ should be on your list to consider. The screen is quite beautiful. I'm perfectly happy with mine, especially since I got it after the price drop ($149).

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:30 pm

Dizik, that sounds like a good idea, except for one thing: the Nexus 7 is a 7" tablet. I prefer the larger ones, around 9-10". If there is a new Nexus 10" coming out, I'm all for it.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:32 pm

cheerful hamster wrote:
I can't vouch for the Wi-Fi or web browsing, but the Nook HD+ should be on your list to consider. The screen is quite beautiful. I'm perfectly happy with mine, especially since I got it after the price drop ($149).

I just saw that Nook HD+ at $149 for the 16GB and $179 for the 32GB a short while ago on barnesandnoble.com. That looks like a fantastic deal.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:17 pm

riviera74 wrote:
Dizik, that sounds like a good idea, except for one thing: the Nexus 7 is a 7" tablet. I prefer the larger ones, around 9-10". If there is a new Nexus 10" coming out, I'm all for it.
I know it's only a 7 inch tablet, but since it was just announced today, I thought I would mention it since your initial criteria was "8-10 inches". After all, I was only off by 1 inch. ;) Anywho...if history repeats itself, as it often does, I would expect the next Nexus 10 to come out in November just like the previous model.

There are a few things on the market right that's pretty close to what you're looking for. Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T (Tegra 3, Wi-Fi only), Kindle Fire HD 8.9", and the Nook HD+. A new Asus Transformer Pad Infinity (10.1" @ 2560x1600, Tegra 4) was announced in June, but no street date yet. And again, the previously mentioned Nexus 10 should it ever be released.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

juzz86
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:18 am

The 'old' Nexus 10 is a fantastic tablet. No SD slot, but it ticks all your other boxes. I've had a lot of Android tabs, and I swear by mine.
7700K, 32GB, 1080Ti - Suppressor F1

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:59 am

Probably should wait for the new Nexus 10. Looks promising especially if you are looking to play games.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Is-a-new ... ay_id45693
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung- ... ly_id45723
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:25 pm

Toshiba's Excite 10 Pro hits your check boxes - 10.1" 2560*1600 screen, Tegra 4 SoC, and it has a microSD slot.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:52 pm

I love my Nexus 10, and I haven't seen any real 3D that the N10 can't handle. A newer model would be cool, but I don't think it makes the current hardware a no-buy.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:55 pm

DreadCthulhu wrote:
Toshiba's Excite 10 Pro hits your check boxes - 10.1" 2560*1600 screen, Tegra 4 SoC, and it has a microSD slot.

Is it even out yet? I thought Tegra 4 devices are going to be out later in the year. And the battery life remains to be seen since this is almost a completely new chip.

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:32 pm

Toshiba's order page says it will start shippiing on August 16th.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:26 am

Until I see reviews, benchmarks, etc., I'm going to avoid Tegra 4. It sounds good in theory, but so did the Tegra 3, and we all know how that worked out. Playing some of the Tegra only games was fun at first, but after a while they all seemed to be more of a technology proof-in-concept than full-fledged games. But, that was also on my OG Asus Transformer...games have more than likely improved since then. There's also the fact that Qualcomm Snapdragons have become the de facto standard for SoCs when it comes performance and reliability, and is supported by more vendors.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:34 am

Dizik wrote:
Until I see reviews, benchmarks, etc., I'm going to avoid Tegra 4. It sounds good in theory, but so did the Tegra 3, and we all know how that worked out. Playing some of the Tegra only games was fun at first, but after a while they all seemed to be more of a technology proof-in-concept than full-fledged games. But, that was also on my OG Asus Transformer...games have more than likely improved since then. There's also the fact that Qualcomm Snapdragons have become the de facto standard for SoCs when it comes performance and reliability, and is supported by more vendors.

While this is all good and true, on a wifi only tablet I don't think we should completely discount the Tegra. The original Nexus 7 has been selling fine with the Tegra 3. Qualcomm's strength is in the modems for 3G/LTE so without it, the playing field is more level.