Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Diablo III

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:52 pm

Meadows wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
BTW, Get used to farming bosses for gear.

You don't farm bosses for gear.

Yeah, now you get 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor and beat on Elite/Champion packs so you get set pieces and legendary drops, so you can auction them and buy gear you actually want. And farm the key wardens once you have sufficient gear so you can do the Infernal Machines and so on.

But if you're level 7 or 8 on your first character, you've got a while yet.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:39 pm

I'm level 10, so it will be a looong time yet.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:53 pm

Killed skeleton king again, was able to proceed from there. Nuisance, but it' s over.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:10 pm

Bumping an old thread. I started playing Diablo a bit since my sub expired. I hadn't heard this happened but you can see the effect on the Auction House economy, which is thoroughly wrecked:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MaxWoolf ... 08/191959/

Was talking to Starfalcon yesterday and he opined that the real money AH has not worked out as intended for Blizzard. I guess I am interested how much money they have made off it, but they probably won't reveal those numbers.

I have a lvl 60 wizard who picked up a relatively cheap green wand and offhand source. My damage went up by 100%. It seems like weapons are reasonable while regular armor, especially for sub-60 characters, is awfully inflated.

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:19 pm

I am just waiting for the PS3 version. Even after reinstalling, Diablo 3 is the one game that gets choppy. And not just choppy - extremely choppy. Doesn't matter if the settings are lowest nor highest. My guess is it either has to do with streaming from online or from the HDD. Either way, the PS3 version is going to be optimized for PS3 hardware and that kind of choppiness will either be ironed out for such a release, or I'll just never put any money into Diablo 3.

FTR, I have only played the Diablo 3 demo. Yes, I did let the download fully complete. If anyone can enlighten me if the FRV of the game will be smoother, I'd appreciate it, but until then I am wary of putting money into it.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:27 pm

Haven't played it in a while. I liked the first few playthroughs but it got really rough. Then it turned into a "pay to play" at higher levels/playthroughs. If I wanted to dump money into a game continually, I'd get my EverQuest 2 account active again. I don't think I would have minded if any of the drops didn't seem so worthless considering my level and the mobs I was facing. I mean, I'd farm but it never seemed to give any rewards. I used to do that with Diablo II and EQ2, maybe the actual existence of the for-money gear stuff just taints the whole thing for me? SoE has something similar with EQ2 but it doesn't make me as bitter, I don't think.

I think I ended up level 60 and go stuck on Hell or Nightmare or something at the siege near the end, the mobs were just too tough.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:32 pm

Star Brood wrote:
I am just waiting for the PS3 version. Even after reinstalling, Diablo 3 is the one game that gets choppy. And not just choppy - extremely choppy. Doesn't matter if the settings are lowest nor highest. My guess is it either has to do with streaming from online or from the HDD. Either way, the PS3 version is going to be optimized for PS3 hardware and that kind of choppiness will either be ironed out for such a release, or I'll just never put any money into Diablo 3.

FTR, I have only played the Diablo 3 demo. Yes, I did let the download fully complete. If anyone can enlighten me if the FRV of the game will be smoother, I'd appreciate it, but until then I am wary of putting money into it.

Been a while, but I don't recall any real fps issues with an i7-2600, 8 GB of RAM (at the time), and a Radeon 6850. Running at 1920x1200. I thought those issues were more related to network connection problems than local rendering but I could be wrong. Hopefully someone who still plays can chime in with better info.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:18 pm

I haven't had any issues lately with lag. I don't have my box's specs offhand at work but for sure my video card is average at best. As for pay-to-play, I haven't paid a dime and I made it to Act 2 Inferno with ease. I think item duping or gold duping has made weapons more available, and the new weapons helped my main immensely. I paid maybe 220k gold for the pair.

I'm somewhat intrigued though by the idea that I can throw $5.00 into the game and get something like 200 million gold, 100 times all I have farmed on a 60 and several high-40's alts combined. Part of me says it's a bad idea to support micro-transactions. The other part says they are here to stay and we either adapt or quit playing video games that use them.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Yeah they made some serious mistakes in the creation of diablo 3, and like I told hawkwing, I do not think they really thought out how the ingame AH would really end up working out. The economy is completely destroyed due to pretty much every item ever dropped is used for a bit, then put up on the AH for sale. Along with the infamous item duping via fake hacks, the economy is so very messed up with things selling for billions of gold. I think the D3 team was more concerned with how much money they were going to make with the RMAH then worrying how the economy would shake out 6 months to a year later. At least blizz is aware they have serious issues with the game, and they have taken some step so far to try and fix some of the problems.

In the next expansion I figure they are going to cut down severely on item drops along with making crafting better so people will grind all those extra items down to get rid of them. Along with also making most items boa instead of free use like they are now, thus people putting the real good items up for sale in the RMAH. They will also have to find a way for them to funnel all this extra gold out of the game, which will be hard to do, but watch them come up with a 100 mil chance at a roll for a legendary item off a boss ingame, and said legendary will be boa also to cut down on item bloat. I guess we will see how much of this blizz carries out in the exp expansion.

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:16 pm

Scrotos wrote:
Been a while, but I don't recall any real fps issues

It's not so much FPS issues as much as it is: every 5-10 seconds, a half second delay which seems to be a syncing delay.

Scrotos wrote:
Thought those issues were more related to network connection problems than local rendering but I could be wrong.

That's what I've heard, too, and I hope it's accurate. I know the PS3 version does not require Internet connectivity and that's why I'm more interested in seeing how it plays on the console itself.

The sad part is that our Internet is very stable, and that I was experiencing these lags both before and after we moved and with the same hardware. So it may just be an issue that there isn't a reliable connection to the server in our area. I've seen videos on Youtube of players who don't experience what I do, so it gives me hope that the PS3 may provide a very fluid (albeit graphically-handicapped) experience. In ARPG games, fluidity is more important.

willanfel
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:04 am

I guess there' are not so many ppl still playing the game. I just get bored with the endless farming and struggling and lost all interest to lvl to paragon 100 now. Tell u what, I just read a poll which seems from salediablo3 "What causes u AFK Daiblo 3", without any doubt, I left cuz of the boredom and no passion or friends. Won't count on too much on the next patch.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:10 am

Star Brood wrote:
Scrotos wrote:
Been a while, but I don't recall any real fps issues

It's not so much FPS issues as much as it is: every 5-10 seconds, a half second delay which seems to be a syncing delay.

Scrotos wrote:
Thought those issues were more related to network connection problems than local rendering but I could be wrong.

That's what I've heard, too, and I hope it's accurate. I know the PS3 version does not require Internet connectivity and that's why I'm more interested in seeing how it plays on the console itself.

The sad part is that our Internet is very stable, and that I was experiencing these lags both before and after we moved and with the same hardware. So it may just be an issue that there isn't a reliable connection to the server in our area. I've seen videos on Youtube of players who don't experience what I do, so it gives me hope that the PS3 may provide a very fluid (albeit graphically-handicapped) experience. In ARPG games, fluidity is more important.

The good news is that'll be fixed on the console, since it doesn't require internet. Which makes the PC's online-always requirement so incredibly annoying. They could have made the game with cloud saves that don't require real-time syncing, but I guess it's a requirement for the AH. Blah. I'd rather have an option for no AH and offline, but whatever.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:40 am

There's definite value to multiplayer in Diablo 3, but another +1 for the PS3 version is that it allows for split screen multiplayer. Maybe I can get my wife to play along one day.

mattshwink
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:25 pm

There has been clamouring among the community for some time for a non-AH mode (as an option) that the community has dubbed ironborn. As usual the devs haven't committed to anything. But they have said that if they had it do over again, they would definitely change the AH.

Now, whether some type of ironborn (or offline mode) makes it into the expansion? No idea. Perhaps some details will be released at Blizzcon.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:10 pm

Well if there's a D3 expansion (and it's a fun game, so there should be) then the devs are able to "have it to do over again" with the expansion.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:19 pm

I would consider a D3 expansion purchase, and I rarely buy video games these day. I'm hoping they make one.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:30 pm

Hey guys, I've picked up playing D3 again and I'm looking for some people to level with. my Bnet tag is Philldoe#1216
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:24 am

So I kinda glossed over the release info for the new xpac to DIII, I thought to myself, "Yeah I might play it to see where the story goes but not right away." Well yesterday I figured I would watch the release vids and preceded to, I almost fell out of my chair....I said that cant be right......is it......that's......that's a Paladin!

I tore off to read the article and sure enough it IS! The crusader is back! I am a huge sucker for DPS Paladins/Holy Avengers. DAMN YOU Blizzard! What are you going to do next that will suck me in? Add a DoA battleground to WoW???
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:38 am

tanker27 wrote:
So I kinda glossed over the release info for the new xpac to DIII, I thought to myself, "Yeah I might play it to see where the story goes but not right away." Well yesterday I figured I would watch the release vids and preceded to, I almost fell out of my chair....I said that cant be right......is it......that's......that's a Paladin!

I tore off to read the article and sure enough it IS! The crusader is back! I am a huge sucker for DPS Paladins/Holy Avengers. DAMN YOU Blizzard! What are you going to do next that will suck me in? Add a DoA battleground to WoW???

Now if only they would add a Necro style Sorc that's not a witch doc.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:32 am

I love me some Hammerdin. Not that the Crusader will be a 1:1 analog for one of my favorite D2 builds, but it'll be enough to remind me.

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:14 pm

With the exception of Diablo 3, I don't really game on the PC anymore except for my library of older games (I love the Good Old Games website too!), so my PC hardware has really gone to neglect. My Internet machine has a GeForce 8200M G graphics chip which does run Diablo 3, but very slowly most of the time regardless of graphics and sound settings. I hate to go out and buy a whole new computer just because I have one game that doesn't run well, so I am very much interested in trying out the console version of the game. IGN and some other Euro gaming website just did an off-line partial playthrough of the game on the Xbox 360 and I was very intrigued watching them play. I can see where targeting enemies with precision the way you want might be an issue (especially at higher difficulties), but I think I'll give it a whirl.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:03 am

If you don't already own a console, don't buy one now. PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are coming very soon. PlayStation 3 was released in 2006. X-box 360 was released in 2005. They're both well beyond obsolete at this point.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:35 am

PetMiceRnice wrote:
I can see where targeting enemies with precision the way you want might be an issue (especially at higher difficulties), but I think I'll give it a whirl.

At higher difficulties, there's not a whole lot of targeting specific enemies other than attacking in that general direction. My favorite build is a spin-to-win Barbarian and I just kind of whirlwind about, trying to hit the champions. :lol:

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:00 am

I'm running out of steam with some of the more grindy achievements. I can't get 2 of the rare zones to pop in Act 1, for example. (House of Curios is one) I'll be happy for an expansion to come out though.

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:42 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
If you don't already own a console, don't buy one now. PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are coming very soon. PlayStation 3 was released in 2006. X-box 360 was released in 2005. They're both well beyond obsolete at this point.

In my case, I already own a PS3 and Xbox 360, but I totally agree. We know for sure that Diablo 3 is coming out on the PS4 and I'd be surprised if an Xbox One version didn't eventually surface as well.

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:47 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
PetMiceRnice wrote:
I can see where targeting enemies with precision the way you want might be an issue (especially at higher difficulties), but I think I'll give it a whirl.

At higher difficulties, there's not a whole lot of targeting specific enemies other than attacking in that general direction. My favorite build is a spin-to-win Barbarian and I just kind of whirlwind about, trying to hit the champions. :lol:

Actually that would be fun. :D But I was referring to targeting specific monsters and bosses. Also, for example, if you are a witch doctor and want to cast Grasp of the Dead at a certain spot, I doubt it will be possible.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:50 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I'm running out of steam with some of the more grindy achievements. I can't get 2 of the rare zones to pop in Act 1, for example. (House of Curios is one) I'll be happy for an expansion to come out though.

http://www.blizzardguides.com/diablo3/h ... urios.html

Hope it helps
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:45 pm

Yeah, I have read those guides. It's just laziness. I reset it a few times and get bored rather quickly.

ShadowEyez
Gerbil XP

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:25 pm

I terms of tech, this games runs smooth on my haswell 4770, 16 gig ram, geforce 460 at 1900 x 1200 and a cable internet with all settings maxed.

In terms of the game itself it is a pure grind after a while. I have a few characters but my main guy (paragon lvl 50-something barb) has good enough gear to roll interno MP 10 but to find anything better or level up takes forever, and the gameplay comes down to whirl-winding around on ToC/wotb (thrives on chaos in wrath of the berserker) mode. I spent no money beyond the game itself, and though I have not "beaten" it in getting to para level 99, it seems a pure grind at this point, and more grind than fun.'

I do like this talk of re-organizing the loot drops and adding a mystic, or an expansion pack, and may get back into it. And it is sometimes fun. But it can also be mind numbing as well.
The finest tools are forged from the hottest fires

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:28 pm

Blizzard thinks that by making it harder for players to reach level 99 that it will encourage players to keep playing and playing to try to reach that goal.

Little do they know that the easier it is to reach level 99 the more fun it is to keep on playing and playing, because you get visible rewards for playing and you want to make new characters and try different paths on getting there (take Diablo 2 for example).

I don't know about you guys, but when I have time to play a game I need to gain about 10x the number of achievements/experience to make up for the basement rats that play 20x more often than I do.