Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Plants vs Zombies 2!

Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:01 am

Plants vs Zombies 2 trailer!

As someone who spent over 75 hours playing this on my PC (and then buying it again for my Windows 7 Phone) I was hugely excited when I saw the trailer.

more screenshots

Then I read this...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/popcap-details-plants-vs-zombies-143100266.html. iOS exclusive. What...the...Hell...I'm dumbfounded. First, as a WP7 user, I'm used to not getting much game love, but to leave the massive Android platform out makes no sense to me. And then talk about putting the screws to the PC which is how PvZ became so big! In the time it took to make that trailer, they could have made it cross platform.

Also, free-to-play is terrible. I tried playing AoE:Online and it was so annoying, I eventually just went out and bought AoE:III when it went on Steam Sale.

I blame EA for making PvZ2 IOS exclusive and using the F2P model. And since EA doesn't release games on Steam anymore, I imagine PvZ2 (if released on the PC) will only be through Origin. I thought I hated EA as much as humanly possible for what they did to Command and Conquer, but I'm pretty sure I'll hate them more than what words can describe after this.

*edited for clarity*
Last edited by Sargent Duck on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Plants vs Zombies 2!

Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:05 am

Well, I'm pretty sure it says it's only LAUNCHING exclusively on those platforms. It will probably come to others later.

AoE:Online was alright for something you'd play with your kids assuming you have any, but yeah it wasn't a shining example of F2P gaming. (EA had nothing to do with that, on that note...which I assume you know and isn't what you meant.)

The upcoming Command and Conquer should be a much better example of F2P gaming and a much better game than C&C4, but I guess we'll see. F2P gaming tends to be moneypit stuff like subscription MMOs. Either way I can't wait for a fresh take on Generals in a good engine. :D
Meow.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:36 am

Savyg wrote:
Well, I'm pretty sure it says it's only LAUNCHING exclusively on those platforms. It will probably come to others later.

You know how you read something and your brain automatically jumps to what sticks out? That's what I'm going to say happened here. Ok, I can calm down a little.

Savyg wrote:
AoE:Online *snip* wasn't a shining example of F2P gaming. (EA had nothing to do with that, on that note...which I assume you know and isn't what you meant.)

Going back and re-reading my original post, I see how I was talking about AoE F2P and then jumped right to hating EA, giving the incorrect impression. Thanks for pointing that out, I'm going to edit that right now and clarify. And yes, you assumed correctly.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

LostCat

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:52 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
You know how you read something and your brain automatically jumps to what sticks out? That's what I'm going to say happened here. Ok, I can calm down a little.

Well I admit I haven't kept up with their plans, but I'd still expect it to come to other platforms. It'd be ridiculous to say 'You know what, people who loved PvZ? SCREW YOU!'

Anyway, I like F2P in some instances. It lets me decide what game I want to spend money on instead of having to spend money to see if I like the game in the first place. And to find out if my brother will play them I don't have to buy them up front and have wasted the money 75% of the time.
Meow.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:34 am

75 hours on PvZ? Pish. I probably have over 300 hours. :P
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:39 am

PvZ 2 - nervously awaiting...

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/09/plant ... -e3-lobby/ <- scared out of my mind.

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:49 am

I'm really kinda hoping it becomes available for other platforms but I'm not expecting it to. They say it's gonna be an Apple 'exclusive'. As I understand it, it will be for Apple only, period. It would be stupid of them to abandon their PC and other platform fans though.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

superjawes

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:13 pm

ronch wrote:
I'm really kinda hoping it becomes available for other platforms but I'm not expecting it to. They say it's gonna be an Apple 'exclusive'. As I understand it, it will be for Apple only, period. It would be stupid of them to abandon their PC and other platform fans though.

The problem is that this one is apparently utilizing the touch screen...I don't see why it wouldn't expand to Android and/or Windows Phone later, but PC might be more difficult...
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:08 am

superjawes wrote:
The problem is that this one is apparently utilizing the touch screen...I don't see why it wouldn't expand to Android and/or Windows Phone later, but PC might be more difficult...

Well, as long as the game doesn't use multi-touch, I don't see why a mouse won't work. I actually prefer using a mouse and keyboard over touch screens.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:41 pm

ronch wrote:
superjawes wrote:

Well, as long as the game doesn't use multi-touch, I don't see why a mouse won't work. I actually prefer using a mouse and keyboard over touch screens.

Having played PvZ on my PC and on my smartphone, I can say I preferred using the mouse. For short bouts the touch screen wasn't bad, but when playing the unlimited waves, I want a mouse.

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Here you go..

Looks like PvZ2 may hit other platforms someday as well.

They'd be CCCCRRRAAAZZZZYYYYY!!!! not to release it for the PC and other platforms such as Android.

James Carlsom
Gerbil

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:29 pm

I'm glad that I bought my mac. Sucks that I can't play it on my phone though since it's not IOS.

superjawes

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:07 am

So I've had some time with the game on my iPhone...

The Good
Animations and art are improved
New zombies force new strategies
New challenge types

The Bad
My screen is way too small
All plants might be obtainable from gameplay, but you can also purchase almost everything with real money

The game is fun, don't get me wrong, but I don' think the touch interface works as well as they think it does. I've missed many times and often accidentally trigger my plant food. I'm also glad that the game is free, but unlocking plants for $3 each just rubs me the wrong way. I'd be willing to pay $15 dollars for a PC version that excluded that feature.

So I've got the feeling that I will probably just wait until a PC version releases to really get into this game. Otherwise I'll probably just play it here and there when I need to kill some time.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:29 am

So I forgot all about this and grabbed it last night for my iPad. While I like the game, the whole microtransaction thing has turned me off. I would have much rather paid up front for a full game than to piece mail it.

Which makes me wonder who exactly is paying the CC transaction fees?

I one star'd them because of this on the App Store.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:33 am

superjawes wrote:
The Bad
All plants might be obtainable from gameplay, but you can also purchase almost everything with real money

Don't be so sure... if PvZ Adventures (Facebook beta that I've been in since day 1) is any indication the base plants will all be available through the game but upgraded versions of each (fires farther or faster or can take more of a beating) cost money... either for 1 shots or the seeds.
limited quantities will be available to give you a taste but it will be real money for the seeds.