Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Unable to get to any website - W8

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:04 pm

The newtwork icon on the system tray indicates "Internet Access" but I cannot display on the browseer any internet website. It takes unusually loooong time to get to and surfe on the router configuration. There is no problem accessing or being accessed by other machines on the same home network. There is no Internet access problem with other PC on the same home network.
What could be wrong?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Unable to get to any website - W8

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:11 pm

Have you tried a different browser than IE?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:55 pm

- Are any of the other machines also running Windows 8, or is this the only one?

- What AV are you running (if any)? If so, try temporarily disabling it and see if it makes a difference.

- Is Windows firewall enabled? If so, try temporarily disabling it and see if it makes a difference.

- What does "It takes unusually loooong time to get to and surfe on the router configuration" mean? Do you mean the configuration pages on your router are slow? If so, does this problem also happen when you access the router configuration from other PCs?

- Might be a DNS problem. What happens if you try to hit sites by numerical IP instead of by name? (E.g. http://74.200.65.212/ for Tech Report, http://206.111.10.218/ for Google.)

- As FF suggested, try a different browser. Maybe you've got a mis-behaving browser plug-in installed.

- Open a command prompt window and do an "ipconfig /all". Do it on one of the other (working) systems too. Post the output of both. [Assuming you're behind a NAT router/firewall there shouldn't be any personally identifying data in the ipconfig output other than (possibly) your ISP's DNS server address. It's all pretty innocuous stuff. But if you're uncomfortable posting your network config publicly you can PM it to me instead; as a forum admin I already have the ability to look up the IP address you're posting from, and anything in the ipconfig output is less sensitive than that!]
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:47 pm

I have just found the culprit: The integrated LAN card went down but not necessarily completely.

I tried W7 and noticed the exact same problem. So, I plugged in an external LAN card, switched the LAN interface to it and the problem was resolved.

Thanks everyone trying to help me.