Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Starting to think of building a fast folding system/serv

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:57 am

DPete27 wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
Not that dominant once you go to the Folding benchmarks.... with explicit SP mode.

SP Folding Benchmarks show the $350 7970 GE beating the $650 GTX 780. That's a win in my book, even if you take Anand's results that the 7970 is more comparable to the $400 GTX 770. But again, I don't know much about folding. I'm just looking at some benchmarking graphs.

I think I trust Anand's results a bit more than THG, yes, same old bias. :oops: The 7970GE is closer to $400 but I think the vanilla 7970 is closer to the 770 or even 780 I guess. It may depend on how much a WU is explicit vs implicit. Suffice it to say I think the OpenCL code really levels the playing field in terms of folding. It may come down to price and power consumption/noise.

BIF wrote:
think I can build the box anytime now with cash outlays only for the case and GPU to get me started. I may even be able to order these as early as early to mid August.
Who needs a case? ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:33 am

I know, I know!

But I want to put it in the kitchen or a spare bedroom, and I want it to look good; like it's there on purpose and not by accident. Haha! :) :D :D

BIF
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:59 pm

I've been doing some "cost to operate" math regarding the final build.

New 2P Server:
2P system with 8 sticks RAM and (eventually) two HD 7990 GPUs, a hard drive and DVD drive, running folding 24/7.

Approximately 1,000 watts.

Electrical Cost:

I pay 14 cents per KwH above 1000 (and my home is always above 1000 for any given month).

I figure my monthly electrical cost for the new server/system would add about $90 per month to my electric bill, not including increased air conditioning electrical costs.

I figure the direct electrical cost (of the new server) would be 90% of the cost anyway, so if I add 10% for air conditioning and call it $100 per month, would that sound like an accurate starting point for budgeting purposes?

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:19 pm

You must be loaded to the gills with disposable income.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

BIF
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:05 pm

DPete27 wrote:
You must be loaded to the gills with disposable income.

:) I am not loaded, but I understand your sentiment, so I'll lay it out for anybody who might be curious.

I did say at the very beginning that I have been thinking about all of this and I recognize that it is a donation; a pretty big commitment, even.

I have very little free time to donate to good works. Also, for many years now I have been uncomfortable with the idea of just giving money to charitable outfits. I have recited a few times my distaste with the American Red Cross and their strategy of never-ending harassment for ever more and more. I'll never ever forget the United Way and their heavy-handed way of getting company's management to force employee donations during the 1980's and 1990's, and of course their numerous spending scandals during those years.

I'm very cautious now. I prefer to donate cash because it's untrackable, and makes it harder for me to get spammed for future donations. I never donate money to the same organization in consecutive years, either. I don't like dependent relationships in that way.

But I still want to do what I can to help make a difference, in keeping with my own time and financial limits. Here, with folding, I have the ability to make a difference. And, maybe more importantly to me, I remain in complete control of my donation. It is an ongoing commitment, but I can revoke it at any damned time I want to. So if Stanford/Pande start supporting or working toward things that I find morally, logically, humanely, or nationally objectionable, I can just shut down my donation. Simple. Immediate. Without stop-payment or credit card hassles. I like that idea quite a lot.

So back to my topic. In my post above, I did not say that this project was easily affordable, either for the server buildout or for the electrical costs. I have said in prior posts that this will be done in phases. And who knows, next month I may learn that I need a new roof, so plans can change.

All I really need to know now is whether or not my electric consumption estimates are ballpark accurate. :)

Thanks!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:57 am

If you can find a 2P board in E-ATX, this may be the case for your future beast? ;)
http://techreport.com/news/25483/double ... end-builds
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

BIF
Topic Author

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:25 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
If you can find a 2P board in E-ATX, this may be the case for your future beast? ;)
http://techreport.com/news/25483/double ... end-builds

That's awesome! Thanks for the link.

I am watching the GPU space with enthusiasm, hoping to see an R9 dual GPU soon to replace the 7990. I would buy a 7990 or two (eventually 4), except that the prices went up.

There's an Asus 2P E5 workstation motherboard that I think will be perfect for my build, and this case should hold it.

The Asus board will accept up to four PCI-E 3.0 GPU cards (double-wide I think). Make 'em all dual GPUs, throw down with a couple of 8-core or 10-core CPUs, and we'll be able to double our points next year for Frankie! Now all I have to do is figure out how to come up with $10,000 while avoiding burning down the house with the heat; yeah... :o