Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

credible
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Samsung caught cheating in benchmarks with the Galaxy S4

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:59 am

This hardly surprises me in the least, personally think this is a pretty big story, they knew to manipulate the folks who would give their phones great results which potential buyers would see after googling for reviews.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/32054/samsung-caught-cheating-in-benchmarks-with-the-galaxy-s4/index.html

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Re: Samsung caught cheating in benchmarks with the Galaxy S4

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:30 am

Pretty much the story of the hour. It's interesting that they had to cheat with the A15 Octa-core.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:33 am

credible
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:04 am

I just found this one as well, well not found,lol, first that I noticed it, this is beyond the pale.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22166606

I know its hardly shocking but just what the heck can we trust anymore.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:05 pm

I wouldn't ever TRUST Samsung. Their products are good and I use a lot of them (TV, phones, tablet, SSD's, RAM) but Sansung is right up there with the worst of them in terms of profiteering, as well as immoral and unethical business practice.

They toe the line both legally and ethically because their #1 concern is profit, and to them you mean nothing whatsoever.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:19 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
I wouldn't ever TRUST Samsung. Their products are good and I use a lot of them (TV, phones, tablet, SSD's, RAM) but Sansung is right up there with the worst of them in terms of profiteering, as well as immoral and unethical business practice.

This.

I own a Galaxy S4 but it's only because it's the only current phone that has everything I wanted from a phone. I would drop Samsung like a hot potato otherwise because I never liked their business practices, etc. This incident doesn't surprise me at all since I had always thought they were corrupt.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:14 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
as well as immoral and unethical business practice.

Pretty much, yes. They hire paid shills to heavily promote their own products on various forums while dissing the competitor's products in every way possible:
http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/sa ... ews-113328
Have seen some of such people in AndroidCentral's forums (in different sections not related to Samsung's products), moderators there didn't care so I decided to just not visit these anymore.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:48 pm

I can't be bothered. Android benchmarks have long been a waste of time and effort and they rarely indicate real-world performance.

My wife and I just retired my One S and her unlocked iPhone 4 running on T-Mobile with a pair of Galaxy S4s. So far so good; Cyril's complaints about stuttering and whatnot seem overblown, and I haven't run a single benchmark. In fact mine is always in power saver mode (with haptic feedback re-enabled). It plays games and surfs Facebook/Twitter/the web with ease even artificially slowed down. In fact, in day-to-day use it feels way faster than my One S even, and the difference between her S4 and iPhone 4 is also night and day (to be expected for a phone that's over 2 years old running on EDGE all the time because T-Mobile hasn't refarmed 3G PCS yet around here - a T-Mobile Vibrant would have felt better). I see this thing lasting a long time for both of us.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen